Six Feet Under

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:22 am
Well, hopefully Nine will do the honourable thing and air this second half of the year. It starts June 9 in the US. Just got an email featuring an interview with exec prod. Alan Poul which has some info on Season 5. There are very vauge, minor spoilers here so be careful. Its nothing very harsh at all though, just a general overview of the direction of the season so far.

[quote:5547aa945b]ALAN POUL
SFU Production update

This June, the groundbreaking Six Feet Under heads into its fifth and final season. HBO.com caught up with Executive Producer Alan Poul as the production hit the halfway mark for an update on how--and where-- things are going.

HBO.COM: Do you feel more pressure than usual going into your last season?

ALAN POUL I wouldn't call it pressure. I would say that there's an awful lot of effort, a feeling that that we have to do it right. But we have a tremendous amount of support from HBO in terms of coming to our own conclusions about how it should end.

In a lot of other network situations, there might be other parties with a vested interest in creating room for a continuation or for a spin off or for some kind. And in this case we're just being told to figure out how it needs to come to a close and make it the best finish that we can.

HBO.COM: It's not Six Feet Under's style to go out in a gauzy finish; do you find yourself fighting off sentiment?

ALAN POUL Yeah. I mean, listen, we're all gonna be very moved, and I think we want people who are watching to be moved. But on our show I don't think we've ever tried to move people through sentiment. I don't think overt appeals to sentimentality are part of our style book. So the ending will involve life and death and will involve darker turns for some people and lighter turns for others. The most important thing is we want to have a sense that every story has reached its appropriate conclusion.

HBO.COM: Do you feel good about the decision to conclude the series?

ALAN POUL Yeah, I think one thing that that we're unanimous about is that this is the right decision.

This way we can get out feeling strong, feeling we're at the peak of our game. Feeling the show has not become less than fresh and hasn't become a burden on anybody. We never wanted to have a feeling that the show was an open-ended proposition. Because that allows your storyline to spin into irrelevance or absurdity, and we all felt that we were telling a story that was gonna have a beginning, a middle and an end. And now we get to do the end.

HBO.COM: So you're about halfway through filming, how far ahead have you mapped out the storylines?

ALAN POUL We have outlines up through episode ten, and on episodes eleven and twelve, we have a general idea, but the writers are still working on it. This keeps us flexible, so we see how things develop, how the actors play things, how the recurring characters are doing. Because when we bring in new recurring characters, their portrayal and how they interact with our permanent cast really affects what we decide to do.

A good example would be in seasons three and four; the Russell story was deeply influenced by everything that Ben Foster brought to the role.

HBO.COM: Are new characters influencing this season so far?

ALAN POUL We have a lot of new, recurring characters. And also, you know, we're so aware that this season is different from all other seasons because it's the only last season we'll ever have. So in terms of bringing the story to a final, final, final close, we're not jumping to conclusions. There've been a lot of scenarios bandied about.

HBO.COM: What are some of the themes we'll be seeing this year?

ALAN POUL Well, most broadly put, the show always has to do with life in the midst of death--or death as the part of life. And also with people's notions of a family. We've tried to stay true to those themes through five seasons. But in one change, this season has a lot of focus on parenting.

It becomes an issue with all the major couples.

Parenting, relationships between parents and children, ideas about what constitutes good parenting and creating families out of unorthodox structures are all issues that will play a more central role this season than they have in the past.

HBO.COM: How about you personally-- are you feeling the emotional pull of the last run?.

ALAN POUL Yeah, but I'll tell you something, going into production on a season is like being in a long, dark, tunnel. Being halfway through, we're at the point now where we can't really see the light where we came in and we can't see the light at the end yet.

I know there will come a time when we will become tremendously nostalgic, sentimental and sad that it's ending. But that would be premature.

I don't have the time to spare to feel those things right now. You know when you're when you're in the middle of a season you're still breaking stories and preparing scripts for the later episodes. But you haven't finished all your editorial and sound work on the earliest episodes. So there's not a single car that has completely rolled off the assembly line.[/quote:5547aa945b]

http://www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder/interviews/poul_update.shtml
Last edited by jay on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:23 pm
Can't wait. In a way, I'm glad that its ending now. It feels like one big story, watching a chapter of the Fisher's lives, starting with the death of the father, and then concluding at the end of the characters' 5-season arcs. I have the feeling it might be a bit sad, if not in a sad way, then a happy-sad way. I always get emotional in the final episodes of my favourite TV shows :(
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:55 pm
it is the best show on television, possibly TELEVISION HISTORY

but you might need to be a bit older than 22 years old to truly appreciate it. also if you werent a "weird kid at school that was misunderstood" this is also that is probably not going to grasp you

its strange how the show only makes 12/13 episodes a season, yet its all a wrap in less than a 100 episodes

Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:57 pm
I began watching it when I was 14, so.... eh. But I do think they should have made more episodes per season. At least 18!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:23 pm
I'm 20 now, watched every episode since Season 1 and I found it one of the most amazing television series ever. I dont think you have to be any age to appreciate it, just have an open mind to different experiences and ideas in the world. As soon as you close yourself off to those things, you won't enjoy it.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:01 pm
EVERYONE GO TO THE SHOW'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE www.hbo.com/sixfeetunder

GO TO THE VIDEO SECTION

CLICK ON ANY TRAILER THAT YOU WANT FOR SEASON 4

ON THE WINDOW PANE THAT APPEARS THERE IS A LINK FOR AN OPTION TITLED "LAUNCH SEASON 5 SHOOT"

CHECK IT OUT!

THERE IS ALSO ANOTHER SHORT VIDDY THERE AS WELL FOR THE SHOW GOING TO MONDAYS IN AMERICA
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:46 pm
Alright, alright! Just don't hurt me!
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:12 pm
season 3 is out on dvd here btw

you can pick it up at jb hifi for 70 bucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:16 pm
Interview with Peter Krause from zap2it.com here:
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|95466|1|,00.html

Also, season 5 episodes should be online to download tomorrow afternoon for those that care.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:47 am
[spoiler:255b8dab6d]from the first 2 episodes it feels like the show is back to being its season 1, 2 version

this is purely because peter krause's nate seems to be more like his old season 1 and 2 self (albeit a heavily battle scarred one), where hes now able to move on with his life now that hes got closure on lisa. but another fine performance by krause in the premiere when he portrayed someone trying to be like his old self again but is deeply haunted

but there is a feeling something IS going to give, and the show is going to be more depressing than EVER by the end of it all

there is a bit of a repeat by the show when ruth asks george's daughter - maggie to stay a few days to look after him, very reminiscent of the first episode when nate was forced to stick around. it did feel kinda depressing when that did happen[/spoiler:255b8dab6d]
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies