Lawrence Leung's Choose Your Own Adventure

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 am
Gee, I hope there isn't already I thread on this (I did spot a quick mention in the Chaser thread), but starting tonight on the ABC at 830 - something which appeals to me greatly:

[quote:a051bffb3b]Lawrence Leung's Choose Your Own Adventure

Comedian Lawrence Leung has admitted that he slept in a bunk bed well into his twenties, so he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would indulge in heady celebrity excesses. But appearances can be deceiving. “I’m about to trash a hotel room after this interview actually,” Leung tells me. “I have to throw a television out of a window to see what it’s like.”

It turns out Leung is referring to a stunt for his six-part ABC "adventure documentary", Lawrence Leung’s Choose Your Own Adventure, which will kick off on ABC1 on March 25. It’s his first TV show, produced by Chaser Broadcasting and ABC-TV, which follows him on his quest to fulfill his childhood fantasies.

“The questions that the show asks are: what did you want to be when you were a kid, who are you now, and how did you get there? There were so many things I wanted to be when I was a kid that I never got around to when I grew up. I’m having a lot of fun at the moment but I’m reaching the twilight years of my twenties… and I don’t know if I’m doing what I’m meant to be doing.”

It’s a rare comedian who feels apprehensive about how much fun he’s having, but self-examination has always played a big part in Leung’s comedy. He’s been on the stand-up circuit for a few years now, endearing himself to audiences with a style of comedy that has been described as ‘thinly-veiled therapy’. His last stand-up show, Lawrence Leung Learns To Breakdance, was a celebratory examination of his perennial uncoolness. It was peppered with anecdotes about Venn diagrams, Sudoku and Leung’s longtime obsession with the Rubik’s cube.

Leung continues his commitment to finding the funny side of his vulnerabilities with Lawrence Leung’s Choose Your Own Adventure. He’ll be hosting segments in his real-life bedroom, turning the camera on his parents, tracking down his childhood sweetheart and finally confronting the bully that used to push him into hedges on the way home from school. He’ll also be attempting to realise his dreams of being a rock star (hence the hotel room trashing), holding his own in a wrestling ring, and breaking the world record for the fastest solving of the Rubik’s cube while skydiving.

“I’m completely frightened, but by investigating myself and other people’s stories, maybe I can find something out about myself.”

It’s tempting to think that Leung is having us on when he talks about being in the midst of a late twenties crisis – with his already impressive career only gaining momentum, he certainly has a lot to be pleased about. For viewers of his first program, there’ll be little doubt that Leung chose the right adventure.

Lawrence Leung's Choose Your Own Adventure: ABC1 Wednesdays at 9:30pm, from March 25.
[/quote:a051bffb3b]
http://www.thevine.com.au/entertainment/articles/lawrence-leung's-choose-your-own-adventure.aspx

I keep hearing about his parents stealing the show! :P
Emmy Winner
Cash on hand: 7,600.30
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:40 pm
I'm looking forward to this one.
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:04 pm
I'll give it a look-see...:shrug:
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 pm
I'll give it a shot.
Modest to the top.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm
Second ep's better than the first I've heard. But who knows. I'll make my call next week.

Assuming I don't absolutely detest this week's premiere.

Sopranos Mobster
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 am
[quote:0ecf4934d2="A.A"]Second ep's better than the first I've heard. But who knows. I'll make my call next week.

Assuming I don't absolutely detest this week's premiere.[/quote:0ecf4934d2]

I agree. After watching tonight's episode, I thought that it was good but not great. It's not something where you have to watch every episode, which is another similarity that it has with My Name is Earl. However, judging from past results, this isn't an issue that affects the ratings.

Next week will be something to look forward to. Looks like my Wednesday night TV viewing is now interesting again thanks to the ABC.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 am
He's an affable guy, isn't he?

Didn't laugh out loud many times, but I'll keep watching.

He's like a friendlier, less sarcastic, less bold, John Safran. :P :wink:
Cash on hand: 5,975.10
Bank: 2.00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:29 am
I thought it pretty good and will watch again next week.

Do you remember who was in your Grade 3 class? I have trouble remembering what happened that year let alone classmates. I doubt that lady would of remembered him considering he left the school at the end of that year. And who would of picked that his best friend from that grade turned out the way he did. :lol:

Cash on hand: 5,067.50
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 am
Agree with that - what prevented me from enjoying it more was that it felt very staged rather than spontaneous, which would have made it work better. That being said, Lawrence did a good job of highlighting pop culture phenomenon (and I am not just talking about the cube, I'm talking about Facebook stalking and newyorkgirlofmydreams).

Those two vignettes right at the end were pretty funny though :P
Emmy Winner
Cash on hand: 7,600.30
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am
I was willing to totally love this show after the bit about Electric Dreams at the beginning. But then it was a bit plain after that, and I just kept thinking he was a sugary sweet version of John Safran. Will keep watching for the better second episode.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies