ER

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 6,062.00
Mood: grooving
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:12 pm
Anyone else watch ER? It's still pretty good, even with new characters coming and old ones leaving.

In the latest episode Romano was demanding to have his new prosthetic arm fitted NOW, and was shirtless at the time. It looked so realistic, his stump. Surely Paul McCrane didn't lose his arm in real life? Surely not. They can do a lot with special affects these days, but I wonder how did they hide his arm? Where? There was no shirt to hide it under.

Kerry Weaver's sexuality and relationship with the firefighter chick doesn't rate a mention anymore, a shame. I hope that when Carter returns he and Abby can decide once and for all if they're on or off. Those two just cannot communicate properly, instead of talking just walk away from each other. How stupid, it can't be that hard to just talk. I hope they either make up or finish it cos I'm sick of the whole we-can't-comminicate thing.

:agrue:

Weather Presenter
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:17 pm
I really like ER, I havn't liked this season as much as previous seasons. Although I'm looking forward to Linda Cardellini joining the cast. As for Romano, I havn't heard if the actor lost his arm. If you noticed in that scene though, he had a black strap around his stump. I''d say anything under that was digitally changed, covering his real arm with backgound pixels.

I didn't realise how much I miss previous characters now that so many are gone. I hope they give Sherry a decent storyline.

I like Abbey and Carter, but I find it difficult now to understand where is character is coming from. Suddenly they don't communicate, but why? What caused this last season?
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:00 pm
[quote:a6fd3e943f="Dez"] If you noticed in that scene though, he had a black strap around his stump. I''d say anything under that was digitally changed, covering his real arm with backgound pixels.[/quote:a6fd3e943f]

That must be how they did it, removed his arm digitally. There's no way they could have strapped his arm to his back or what without it being really, really obvious. Notice also that later when Romano was pointing his new prothetic arm at some poor guy, and making the fingers move, the camera was sneakly positioned behind Romano's right side, so all viewers can see is the fingers and hand of the prothetic, with Romano blocking the rest. I bet in that scene the actor was just holding the arm with his real hand.

[quote:a6fd3e943f="Dez"]I like Abbey and Carter, but I find it difficult now to understand where is character is coming from. Suddenly they don't communicate, but why? What caused this last season?[/quote:a6fd3e943f]

Well Abbey had all those problems-her mum, her brother and her attempt to quit drinking (possibly smoking as well)-and was not happy at Carter trying to help. Carter comes from a rich family and seemingly had no problems, which I guess made Abbey think he had no right to pry into her problems, or it just made her jealous or resentful of him. I think he tried to help, but she didn't really want the help, and Carter never managed to get back in her good books. All he had to do was support her and tell her the right things, but he didn't. Both seemed absorbed in their own problems after that, Carter with the loss of his mother. Abbey for some reason wasn't sympathetic towards him when that happened, and hated it when he went to Africa, even didn't understand when he went back to help Luca.

There aren't really any well established, well loved male characters for Lewis to become involved with, or Corday, which is why she's with the new guy, something which I don't like. She's been single for so long and suddenly jumps in the sack with a new guy. Doesn't make sense. Also there aren't any female characters for Weaver to become involved with, I guess one gay one is enough.

ps. do you remember years ago a character called Maggie Doyle was on ER? She was gay and didn't get many large story lines, eventually she just disappeared from the show without much explanation. Maggie was played by Jorja Fox who is now on CSI as Sara. Also, I bet the producers never knew that there was a character called Maggie Doyle on Blue Heelers at the time. Uncanny that they should have identical names.

phew, enough! :crazyeyes:
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:15 am
Well, what an episode that was. It's been a while since ER has had me on the edge of my seat.

Even though I knew Romano would be the one to get killed. The fact that most of the ep was focused on him made it a bit obvious. He was pretty much a selfish, insesitive, bossy guy, so I suppose no one will miss him.

I hope with Romano gone that they'll bring Weaver back into the show a lot more than she has been.
Logie Nominee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:15 pm
I didn't even notice that Romano was killed. I was cleaning during the ep, and just paying attention when I heard voices I was interested in. So I got a bit of a shock when I read the summary for next week's episode - "Nobody cares that Romano has died" or something like that. Personally, I think the writers have taken the coward's way out by just killing him off.
Vaughn: Any questions, so far?
Sydney: Yeah. Can you show me what a bag looks like again?

Weather Presenter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:09 am
Unfortunately the helicopter missed that annoying kid that keeps bothering Dr Kovac. The new nurse's son.

I liked Linda Cardellini from Freak and Geeks, but in ER her character is always in a bad mood. And I prefer her as a brunette.

Nine's promo during summer spoilted Romano's death for me. I wonder if the actor wanted to leave or the writers figured they couldn't do anything with him now that his skills were limited.

I also liked Abbey, but I can't understand why she has to be nasty to the new student doctor, Neela (the actress from Bend It Like Beckham). Abbey and Susan just walk around bitching and gossiping (and rooting exhusbands in the toilet) atm. And IMHO Susan's storyline with Bob Newhart wasn't very interesting.

Anyway, I agree that it had been a while since ER had done an episode featuring an action/ trauma. There was none last year, except for the season finale in Africa. This was a good one.

I agree that Weaver will need a bigger role now. But Romano's departure will leave a big hole.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:29 pm
[quote:c828d924d5="Pib"]I didn't even notice that Romano was killed. I was cleaning during the ep, and just paying attention when I heard voices I was interested in. So I got a bit of a shock when I read the summary for next week's episode - "Nobody cares that Romano has died" or something like that. Personally, I think the writers have taken the coward's way out by just killing him off.[/quote:c828d924d5]

Didn't notice? You must have missed the whole scene where Romano is about to go back in the hospital and suddenly looks up, sees the helicopter, screams and then gets squashed by it. Ironic really, that a helicopter got him twice. Last year his arm, this year his life. It's the kind of coincidence that wouldn't happen in real life.

Maybe the writers didn't know what to do with him, maybe there was no direction they could take the character in. Killing him off because of that is pretty much the easy way out.

Too bad that the annoying ex husband of Lewis didn't end up on the helicopter, now Lewis will probably get all soppy and want to marry him again. :roll:
Logie Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:06 pm
[quote:69671fcb46="couch_potato"]Didn't notice? You must have missed the whole scene where Romano is about to go back in the hospital and suddenly looks up, sees the helicopter, screams and then gets squashed by it. [/quote:69671fcb46]

Yeah, I think I missed that big chunk. I think I saw most of the episode, (although maybe there's other bits I missed and just don't know about yet). I usually sit & just watch it, but had too many other things going on at the time. Will be paying more attention this week...
Vaughn: Any questions, so far?
Sydney: Yeah. Can you show me what a bag looks like again?
News Anchor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:52 pm
I cracked up when i saw the helicopter falling & Romano screaming, i thought i was watching another dream sequence from Scrubs. I couldn't believe they'd kill off a character in such an outrageous way cos ER usually takes itself way too seriously with it's drama. It was a nice change of pace. Such an over the top exit suited such an over the top character such as Romano. Miss him now that he's gone. Everyone else is way too serious. Weaver will have to come back to ressurect her bitch-from-hell role to fill rocking-Romano's shoes. I wonder how she feels about that!
What's the deal with Carter and Abbey? I only started watching again cos Carter wasn't in the last few episodes. I'm not sure if i can handle watching him again cos he was such a bastard to Abbey before. Can someone tell me whether he's mellowed out now since rejoining the show before i resume watching?
That sound that you're hearing - you know that boom? That's my mind blowing -(Alias season1 epi8)
News Anchor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:23 am
Just found out that Allsaints have gone from ward 17 to accidents & emergency. That means we've now got an Australian version of ER....eeeewww! I don't watch Allsaints anyway but i can't imagine how it's NOT going to be SECOND RATE. I mean the comparison's are going to be obvious. Are we really that desperate that we now need Australian drama trying to copy american shows?
That sound that you're hearing - you know that boom? That's my mind blowing -(Alias season1 epi8)
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies