Friday Night Lights (SPOILERS)

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory

Simpsons Guest
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:02 am
I hate talking in spoiler boxes as much as Mike, so i thought i'd go on and make a spoiler thread about THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION!!!!

[img:a86d8f09dd]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l210/spotlessmind24/FNLSeason2PromoPic03.jpg[/img:a86d8f09dd]

My comments on the Season 2 premiere from the non-spoiler thread:

I loved just about everything about it, but those final five minutes gave me an awful aftertaste. Just totally uneccessary and completely mind bogglingly stupid for this show. I was literally screaming when they decided to dump the body over the bridge. No, just NO! I am boggled by the stupidity of it all. I loved everything with Tyra and Landry till that moment and i'm afraid the writers have completely tainted them. Landry murdered someone. It wasn't in self defense AND they covered it up. F***! :doh: :doh: :naughty: :thinking:

With that out of the way. I loved all the Taylor family interactions. Connie Britton blew me away in that scene where she completely lost it on the couch. Julie was a little brat, but i feel it was presented in a wholly realistic fashion, and i felt sorry for poor Matt.

Lyla as a Jesus freak is gonna be fun to watch. :lol:

Overall i was immensely pleased and downright boggled. Sort of an odd feeling. I hope the writers can rectify this storyline, i really hope.
Last edited by Spotless Mind on Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 110.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:05 am
Much better.

Now my thoughts on first episode... again :mrgreen:

Well I must say this felt much different to any other episode of FNL. It was much darker but I still loved it. It seems a bit has changed in 8 months. Coach Taylor is gone, new coach has come in, Tami has had her baby, Matt and Julie are having problems, Mrs. Garaty is now with some weird guy, Lyla is now a preacher but the one thing that has stayed the same is Landry chasing after Tyra. I think they make a great couple.

I loved the scene in the are between Julie and coach Taylor. I thought it was just awesome.

The new coach seems like a prick and when he was making Jason choose between his friends or coaching I was so angry.

It seems everybody had troubles during the summer but I think the mood of it will lighten up.

The last 5 minutes were very dark and extreme. You knew what was coming when Landry went into the store but than Landry killing the guy I was like OMG. Than they just dumped the body, I couldn't believe they did that! Shall be interesting seeing what happens in coming episodes with this storyline.

Overall a great episode. Not the best but still great. Cant wait for next week though!

I think the reason we didnt really like the whole Tyra/Landry murder deal because it really was out of place in a show like this. The last 5 minutes felt like I was watching a whole different show.

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:25 am
[quote:c8cda59b11="Mike"]I think the reason we didnt really like the whole Tyra/Landry murder deal because it really was out of place in a show like this. The last 5 minutes felt like I was watching a whole different show.[/quote:c8cda59b11]
Definitely. Just waaaaaaaaaaay too outlandish and poorly executed imo. I just can't see how a satisfying conclusion can result from this. I'll try and remain an optimist since this show has dealt with a lot of melodramatic plotlines.. from: teenage love triangles, steroid taking, overt racism and even Tami's pregnancy. Yet in those cases they were presented in an entirely believable and realistic way, and there was a real intimacy to the character interactions and situations.

Having 2 teenagers involved in covering up a murder sort of takes away from the realism this show usually offers and atmosphere of this small town. I really, really hope the writers can get themselves out of the whole they dug themselves into.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:33 am
[quote:ee2b8e1ed8="Spotless Mind"][quote:ee2b8e1ed8="Mike"]I think the reason we didnt really like the whole Tyra/Landry murder deal because it really was out of place in a show like this. The last 5 minutes felt like I was watching a whole different show.[/quote:ee2b8e1ed8]
Definitely. Just waaaaaaaaaaay too outlandish and poorly executed imo. I just can't see how a satifying conclusion can result from this. I'll try and remain an optimist since this show has dealt with a lot of melodramatic plotlines.. from: teenage love triangle, steroid taking, racist overtone and even Tami's pregnancy. Yet in those cases they were presented in an entirely believable and realistic way, and there was a real intimacy to the character interactions.

Having 2 teenagers involved in covering up a murder sort of takes away from the realistic stories and atmosphere of this small town. I really, really hope the writers can get themselves out of the whole they dug themselves into.[/quote:ee2b8e1ed8]

Agreed with all of this. Everything they did in the whole first season was realistic but than it come time for this little stunt which isnt a realistic storyline at all. I dont think Landry would of ever even attempted to bash the guy he would of just taken Tyra to the police or to Tami. And even if Landry did kill the guy he wouldnt have thrown thm into the water, that is just soo not his character at all.

But this was the only bad thing about the first episode back as everything else I did love in the episode. As you sad the Taylor family scenes are just awesome, one of my favorite parts of the show.

Now what do you think about the new coach? We didnt get to see much of him but just first impressions.

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:13 am
[quote:3d2d7812e6="Mike"]But this was the only bad thing about the first episode back as everything else I did love in the episode. As you sad the Taylor family scenes are just awesome, one of my favorite parts of the show.[/quote:3d2d7812e6]

I feel iffy being so negative about it, and i loved everything else too, but damn this is one HUGE development for the show and it ain't gonna go away anytime soon. Kinda hard not to get peed off by it. I'll try and save judgement until it fully pays off.

[quote:3d2d7812e6]Now what do you think about the new coach? We didnt get to see much of him but just first impressions.[/quote:3d2d7812e6]
Yeah, we didn't see much of him, so he came across a bit too one-dimensional to me. He is already creating discontent within the team. I can see this being the writers easy out in order to get Eric to return to the Panthers. Which i think will obviously happen at some point.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:13 am
Ok here are the ratings for the first episode.

7 FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS NBC - 6.48 Million with a 2.2 demo.

Not a bad job actually for a Fridat night and that demo is the same as Moonlight which also is aired in that timeslot.

Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:26 pm
what WHAT

Now why the hell did they have to go and do that? :(

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:28 pm
[quote:7d9f314e11="Mike"]Ok here are the ratings for the first episode.

7 FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS NBC - 6.48 Million with a 2.2 demo.

Not a bad job actually for a Fridat night and that demo is the same as Moonlight which also is aired in that timeslot.[/quote:7d9f314e11]
That's pretty respectable considering the timeslot. They also held onto last years ratings. A drop from last years would've killed the show. NBC seem likely to at least stick it out for the full season due to the critical acclaim it has recieved, of course barring the Tyra/Landry stuff.

[quote:7d9f314e11="Lost is CRAP"]what WHAT

Now why the hell did they have to go and do that? [/quote:7d9f314e11]
I know... :?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:02 am
I am still yet to watch the 2nd episode. Will hopefully watch it tonight or tommorrow night!

Simpsons Guest
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:24 pm
So, ive watched episode 2 and 3 and i am feeling a LOT better about the season right now. I still think the producers reasonings for the Tyra Landry subplot along the lines of "Tyra and Landry would NEVER become intimate under normal circustances. A murder cover up was totally the way to go!!!" is total bull****, but their reactions are being handled well thus far and i am liking them together.

Connie Britton is completely flooring me every single week. Wow at the hospital scene in episode 2 and the Julie slapping scene in episode 3. Heartbreaking stuff.

The Julie slapping was well deserved. What a snivelling little bitch she has become. I hope we get a redemption arc at some point, because even though this may be realistic, it is painful to watch.

Matt continues to be the best character that isn't named Tami. Loved seeing him get all riled up at Smash, who was being his usual arrogant self.

Also loved the Buddy and Eric scheming. We knew the coach's returning was coming, so i can't wait to see how it is dealt with in the coming weeks.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies