King Of The Hill

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:46 pm
I'm sure there was a thread for this, but it seems to have disappeared.
Anyway, TV's most underrated sitcom is starting it's 11th season this weekend in America

See CNN article...

[quote:acfbe94525]NEW YORK (AP) -- "I'll have a normal orange juice, please," says Hank Hill. "And make it normal."

He wishes!

Hank, plaintive hero of Fox's comedy "King of the Hill," is joining someone at a dang ol' prissy juice bar. Not by his choice. This is not Hank's kind of place.

Nor are these his kind of times.

Never were. After a decade on the air, "King of the Hill" (starting its new season 8:30 p.m. EST Sunday) finds Hank pretty much where he was in January 1997: a Texas good ol' boy in a world bent on serving up things that, in his mind, just aren't normal. Hank's a regular guy in a world that's always redefining "regular."

Hank doesn't smile much. He's sad-eyed, with fretful little furrows etched into his brow.

Even so, he loves his job as a propane salesman, and also "loves barbecue, pickup trucks, edging the lawn, both kinds of music (country and western), and lamenting how a lack of common sense and a crush of meddling bureaucrats in today's society make life all that much harder for the working man."

At least, that's how I described him 10 years ago, when reviewing the premiere of this animated yet staunchly uncartoonish sitcom.

I could've added that Hank's a churchgoer and a family man (sturdy wife Peggy; slothful 13-year-old son Bobby; coquettish niece Luanne, 18) who, with his high school football days long gone, plays a new team sport: posting himself with buddies Dale, Bill and Boomhauer out by the street, standing side by side, saying little, beers in hand.

Hank was a remarkable invention 10 years ago. The fact that "King of the Hill" carries on to this day, still funny and savvy, is even more notable.

Sunday's episode focuses on Peggy. She is feeling unfeminine (her size-16 feet and all the great shoes that don't fit them are to blame).

"YOU think I'm feminine, doncha, Hank?" she presses.

"Sure y'ar," says Hank, who, unequipped with a silver tongue, elaborates: "You're a wife, and a mother."

But then Peggy makes a new gal-pal, Carolyn, someone with whom she can comfortably share female concerns -- and female tips.

Accounting for her square-rimmed eyeglasses, Peggy tells Carolyn they "hide thin brows, frown lines and wrinkles. People do not say it, but they make me look 10 years younger."

In short, opening up to Carolyn is just what she needed.

But there's a problem. Turns out Carolyn is a drag queen who, while shopping for plus-size ladies' shoes, mistook Peggy for a fellow drag queen.

If it sounds sitcommy, it isn't. "King of the Hill" is as understated as Hank's laconic manner. Its stories rely not on gimmicks, but on shrewdly observed details.

Distraught at having been taken for a man, Peggy orders Hank not to answer the phone when Carolyn calls. But he's obliged to object: "Well, Peggy, that's just like telling a lie."

"Fine," she snaps. "Then, I'm not at home."

"Well," persists Hank, "that's ALSO a lie."

It's a revealing exchange: Not for the first time, Hank has argued for following the rules, however much society prefers to rewrite them. The world may be shifting under his feet, but Hank is taking a stand on his tiny piece of turf.

He's not a raging, Archie Bunker-like nostalgist singing "Those Were the Days." Hank doesn't yearn for the past. He stays busy clinging to a tenuous now: when "orange juice," under normal circumstances, can still mean simply orange juice, without "nutrient boosters"; when being a wife and mother can still certify a woman's femininity.

In his 11th season, Hank more than ever is a man on the spot, torn between squabbling, widening extremes. With his muted battle cry "Hold on a minute here," he's a man caught in the middle between the people in charge. He's the man politicians always glorify in campaign speeches, but conveniently forget once they win: the ordinary guy, just trying to get by.

Nonetheless, dang it, Hank is getting by OK.

And so is "King of the Hill."

Co-created by "Beavis & Butt-head" mastermind Mike Judge (who also furnishes Hank's voice) the show premiered with dim prospects. Only two prime-time animated series before it had been hits: "The Simpsons" (then already 7 years old) and "The Flintstones" (which premiered way back in 1960).

What were the odds for this newcomer succeeding? Not only was it a cartoon, but its setting and style were even more reined-in than the typical live-action sitcom.

And what of Hank and the other denizens of quiet, if quirky, Arlen? These characters weren't tailored for the viewer to relate to, exactly. Nor were they engineered as joke machines. Instead, they came across as comfortably familiar -- acting like real folks just might act.

As Hank is fond of saying, "I'll tell you what." Against the odds, that's what his show continues to do.[/quote:acfbe94525]

Even better, the little animated show that could has been [b:acfbe94525]renewed for a 12th season[/b:acfbe94525] to air in 2008. :dance: :dance: :dance:

[quote:acfbe94525]The current season airing is Season 11. We just got picked up for Season 12, which is in production. Season 11 is in what we call "post production". That means that it has been written and recorded, and now it is being animated and finished in time for it to air each week. Season 12 is being written.[/quote:acfbe94525]

[url]http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=75474763&blogID=221965559&MyToken=dee691d2-a12e-47e7-9c7a-57d1d5a4c7bc[/url]

See also:
[url]http://www.aintitcool.com/node/31362[/url]
Cash on hand: 210.00
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:10 pm
No, it's not coming back.
And I can't believe you guys don't have a thread for this show, as it's the one constant comedy that delivers every single week (in the US).
I don't download it, though I should, but I rented season 3 tonight and have so far loved every episode (4 so far). I particularly liked the John Redcorn/Nancy one, and Peggy Hill continues to make me laugh with lines like: "Bobby's girlfriend is 14!? When she was 3, he was 1... *gags* It makes me sick just thinking about it."
:lol:
God love her. I wish Channel 7 would put THIS on instead of How I Met Your Mother. :roll:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:23 pm
Wait until you watch the last ep of season 3... :shock:

Talk about a cliffhanger. :lol:

Peggy Hill is brilliant. But then again, so is Bobby. Ah, they're all good. :)

This show goes over the head of so, so many people, and I can't figure out why. The humour is understated, but it's not like it's hidden or anything. People assume it's a show about redneck hillbillies or something, and can't seem to see the funny in Hank getting all indignant towards everyone and everything around him. Or Bobby's unsated enthusiasm for the most inane of things. Or Dale's paranoid conspiracy theories. Or Peggy's...Peggy-behaviour. I don't know what Peggy is really. It's hard to describe her. She's a one of a kind, if you ask me. :lol:

But whatever... :shrug: It's [i:47dc331ce7]my[/i:47dc331ce7] favourite animated comedy of all time at any rate, just because of it's consistency. No King of the Hill episode is on par with the best of The Simpsons, but it's consistency is staggering. Almost entirely without exception, KoTH is very, very funny. And heartfelt too, without excess cheesiness.

Lot of people on here missing out on a real gem with this show... :naughty: :snooty:

Totally underrated.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:51 am
Wow, we agree.
I only got into the show in 2004 I think, and ever since it's basically the new Simpsons. I wouldn't mind this being on 7pm weekdays on 10 for a while if they owned it. There are too many old episodes for it to go stale as soon as Futurama repeats.
One thing I've noticed about this show is that every regular character is unique and funny in their own way, EVERYONE. It's bizarre. There are sometimes some episodes where I wonder why they made it, because in those cases the episodes just aren't really that funny, but most are great!
I just wanted to mention, the episode where Peggy found out about John Redcorn and Nancy was seriously hilarious in the most quiet ways possible. There wasn't any 'OMGZ!! no wayzzz!' shouting, but more quiet shock and it continued throughout the episode and... argh, just brilliant.
Also that moment when Leanne's hair fell out- I was half laughing and half gaping in disbelief. So bizarre! And when she councilled herself at the end of the episode with her sock puppets- one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. What a shame this show isn't on in prime time or at least in a regular timeslot!!
Raise a glass to mend all the broken hearts of all my wrecked up friends.
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 4,298,345.30
Mood: feeling under the weather
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:55 am
Love this show... one of the few animated comedies I keep tuning in for (whenever it's on). Dale's my favourite - I always fall for the conspiracy theorists. :shifty:

But with its erratic airing on Channel 7 (or lack thereof), I can't remember which episode from which season I last saw... :thinking: I might have to invest in the DVDs.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 pm
:lol: Bill as his wife. *dies laughing*
Dale's 2nd best line ever at the end, really just killed me:

Dale: If you're Bill's wife, then where is Bill?
Bill: (thinking he's his own wife) Well Bill's inside! Would you like me to go get him?
*beat*
Dale: I am skeptical you could... but intrigued that you may."

:lol:
And Dale at the end in the dress, classic.

Also snaps to the episode where Peggy smacked that idiot. So funny. So was the fire-recuits episode, particularly Simpsony humour there, especially with them all falling into the grave and pulling off the corpse's pants. :lol: I swear, I got cramps in my stomach from laughing too much.

This show should be bought by Ten, for a very Futurama make-over! (At least with this one, you know it'd deserve it ;) )
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:56 pm
I don't like Ten, but I don't like how Seven treat this show either.

Also, is that fire recruit's episode the same one where we hear Boomhauer talk normally, or am I mixing ep's up? :thinking:

Whatever...that was hilarious anyway. 8)

Listening to Bill and Dale do a commentary on one of the DVD's (can't remember which; might be 3, might be an earlier one) is totally worth listening too. Hilarious. :D

I wish the season 4 DVD would come out here already...getting impatient. :)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:00 am
Yes Boomhauer spoke normal, that was hilarious.
I don't think there are any special features for season 3 which is a shame, but so far 10 out of 12 episodes have made me laugh like crazy...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:07 am
Watched an episode tonight on Fox8 which was [i:4cba21ad11]hilarious[/i:4cba21ad11]. As usual.

Had Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) guest-voice as an idiot veternarian.

Hank: How much will it cost?
Dr.Leslie (Bateman): Somewhere between 1, 2 and 3 thousand dollars.

[i:4cba21ad11]Hilarious. [/i:4cba21ad11] 8)

Bobby cracked me up the most in the ep

"Do you want me to take the cat off the table, or do you want me to eat my vegetables!?! I CAN'T DO BOTH!!!"

And screaming from the bedroom "The cat's on my bed...it'll scratch me if I stop patting it! It's like a timebomb in my lap!" :D

I'd seen it before, but it's one of the last ones Seven showed so it's a pretty recent one. Oh, wait. No it isn't. Seven just haven't shown it in a long, long time. :whistle:

Also, season 4 cover-art for release June 20

[img:4cba21ad11]http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/996/793144hy5.jpg[/img:4cba21ad11]

No word on extras, but guest-voices for this season include Drew Carey, Meryl Streep, Heather Locklear, Kathleen Turner and Reese Witherspoon.

This show gets an awfully wide array of high-profile guest-stars, but I love how it's never really totally obvious stunt casting. Quite often I don't even realise someone famous is doing the voice until I see their name in the credits and I go "oh, yeah, now that I think about it, it [i:4cba21ad11]did[/i:4cba21ad11] sound like him/her".

Nice touch, I think. Compare that to The Simpsons, where they have a habit of showing off their guest stars, like they're saying "oh, look who we've managed to get on our show this week! It's Prince Charles!...or some such totally inane celebrity. :roll: :wink:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:09 am
Oh, season 4 is where I started watching of 7, sort of. All I recall is Bobby wrestling or taming a rodeo pig of some sort. :? This was early 2003 if I recall.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies