Corner Gas

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:50 am
Premiere's tonight on SBS at 7:30pm. From TV.com:

[quote:dc8c0c7a23]Corner Gas is about the lives of the people who live in Dog River and hang around the only gas station and restaurant in town. The cast of characters includes Brent LeRoy, the owner of Corner Gas and chronic comicbook reader; his assistant at the station, Wanda Dollard, who is just a little too well educated to be stuck where she is, but doesn't seem to mind it; Hank Yarbo, Brent's friend from his school days whose hobbies consist of hanging out at the gas station and drinking coffee; Lacey Burrows, a big-city girl who's a little out of place in small town Saskatchewan; Brent's parents, Oscar and Emma LeRoy, who bicker all the time, but when push comes to shove, they're there for each other; and the town constabulary, Davis Quinton and Karen Pelly, who seem to get into more trouble than they stop. The show has been a favourite in Canada since its inception, and has constantly hit high marks in the ratings, making it the number one comedy in Canada. It has garnered numerous award nods and wins, including the Canadian Comedy Awards, the Directors' Guild of Canada, Writers' Guild of Canada, Gemini Awards and an Emmy nomination.[/quote:dc8c0c7a23]

On a boring Friday night for me, I might give it a go. Sounds funny in a quirky sort of way. I love the name of the town- [i:dc8c0c7a23]Saskatchewan[/i:dc8c0c7a23]. :P
Got a great write-up in The Age, mentioning that it's Northern Exposure transformed into a sitcom, (minus laugh-track thankfully). My interest is piqued... :thinking:

Daytime Soap Star
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:32 am
Saskatchewan is a canadian province ie a state.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:48 am
Oh, fair enough then. Yeah, that makes sense. The town's name is Dog River then, I guess. :P
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:14 pm
Oh, what a quirky little gem of a show this is. :D

The very first scene had me laughing long and hard, and the rest of the show carried on from there. A tad rough around the edges, maybe, but full of great characters and hilarious lines.
Higlights included the Dad who pretended he had seen Jaws; the cops fighting over who was number 1, and the dumb guy who got upset that his favourite coffee place was now putting fancy cloths on it's tables. :lol:

I don't know anyone's names yet, unfortunately, but I absolutely loved the first ep and very much looking forward to familiarising myself with the folk from Dog River in the coming weeks.

Top stuff. :)
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 20.00
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:38 pm
Thanks A.A for mentioning this show yesterday otherwise i would of never flicked over to have a look. I agree, what a great little show this is. Missed the first few mins but saw the rest.

Loved the paper, "Moose Jaw gets NBA Franchise" and the melons (instead of a lawsuit).

Found something else to watch on a friday now. :D
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:48 pm
Oh, yay, someone else watched it! :)

Yeah, I didn't know what to expect from the show really, because I'd seen the ad but SBS didn't really show any of the funny bits so it was a nice surprise that turned out to be such a great little comedy.

Pity it's up against Smallville, which is what most people around here seem to watch. :wink:
Cash on hand: 585.00
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:22 pm
unfortunately i didnt get to watch it because it was on at the unfortunate hour where my sister was taping smallville and my mother was taping bh&g - but im home next friday so i'll definately try and check it out.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:18 am
I enjoyed ep 1 so much I'm skipping ahead. Bugger waiting for SBS to show it on Friday night. :P

I have ep 2 downloading, and have downloaded and watched ep 3 (it finished first) and it was great. Really, [i:f3b28d96ee]really[/i:f3b28d96ee] great show this. :D

From two episodes, I have to say all the characters get their share of laughs but my favourite characters are probably Brett, Oscar (Brett's Dad) and Hank (Brett's dumb friend). Such a great chemistry from the cast, who all deliver their lines to perfection.

Also, it's such a good-natured show, compared to some of my other current favourite comedies (It's Always Sunny...; South Park et al). It's hilarious without having to resort to political incorrectness or crassness (not that I personally mind those things :P ). It's not nasty or mean-spirited, and without veering into cheesy sentimentality, it just has a really affectionate feel for it's quirky, absurd characters.

The best surprise gem on Australian FTA all year. :)

It's clean, [i:f3b28d96ee]and[/i:f3b28d96ee] funny. What According to Jim and countless American sitcoms aren't. :wink:
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 20.00
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:30 am
Can't wait for Friday, A.A., can you? :)
News Anchor
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:15 pm
i watched the first episode, quite good
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies