Runaway

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 975,954.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:04 am
[imgea]http://teleseries.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/runaway.jpg[/imgea]

[size=24ea][color=redea]Runaway[/colorea][/sizeea]

[bea]About the show:[/bea]
[quoteea]The Raders look like a normal middle-class American family, with a dad, Paul Rader, his lovely wife Lily, teenagers Henry and Hannah and 8-year-old Tommy. Those are their real names, but as they struggle to blend into a new life in Bridgewater, Iowa, they are all using secret identities. This family is on the run, hiding from the legal system that unjustly accused Paul Radar of a terrible and violent crime. Adding to the danger, the real killer is now threatening the lives of the Rader children. As Paul works to protect his loved ones and uncover the evidence that will clear him, he lives with the daily fear that someone will accidentally reveal the family's dark secret in RUNAWAY, The CW's new one-hour drama. RUNAWAY stars Donnie Wahlberg as Paul Rader, Leslie Hope as Lily Rader, Dustin Milligan as Henry Rader, Sarah Ramos as Hannah Rader, Nathan Gamble as Tommy Rader, Susan Floyd as Gina Bennett, Karen LeBlanc as Angela Huntley.
[/quoteea]

I have just finished watching the pilot, and i quite enjoyed it. The acting was really spot on and the storyline did enough to keep me interested.

Leslie Hope and Donnie Wahlburg are fantastic as the parents, and i really loved Sarah Ramos (as she was great on American Dreams).

The only real concern i have is that there are so many shows that seem to have the same idea this coming season, and this one may be considered a soft touch in that it is not as gritty (as say Traveller). But in true teen show style there is a decent supporting bunch of characters behind the central Radar (or Holland) family that has me interested.

I am not sure how prevalent the mystery aspect will be played, but i like that this is a good attempt at lacing a teenage aimed show with more of an edge and doing more with it then just love triangles and the trials of growing up (however those elements seem to be foreshadowed in the pilot).

One thing i felt the show lacked was a soundtrack, it was somewhat bland ands lifeless in parts (especially for the targeted market/audience).

The ending was a nice one, it was a somewhat happier ending then most of the pilots which seem content to rest on the mystery, this pilot had a little heart to it. The little cliffhanger may have been a little too small (if indeed it was conceived as a cliffhanger).

What i did like about the pilot, is that it doesn't set up an expectation of some crazy thrills a minute series, but a simple statement of how can a family who have been forced to leave there whole lifes behind, pick up the pieces and try to live a normal life. It has an energy and tone that will be easy to maintain and one which can move up and down the drama scale to create different moods and maintain interest. It isn't one that will run out of steam quickly.
Logie Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:40 pm
I watched this the other week and liked it a lot more than I expected to.

My main concern is how they're going to keep up the tension without boring the audience. There's only so much 'will they or won't they get caught?' that people can take. When that type of scene came up in the pilot I was really confused, because I knew there was no way they could find them so soon. It was well done, but at the same time I didn't like it.

I noticed the lack of music too, but they might put more in before the episode actually airs.

The parents are both good characters. The dad is likeable. I also really like Sarah's character, it's good to see someone who gets a fresh start and can figure out who they want to be. I didn't particularly like the sons though. The little boy irritated me. The older brother isn't quite the typical teen show boy, but all he did was get angsty and pine for his girlfriend and that's not appealing to me. But I do recognise that they have to include that sort of thing for their demographic.

Overall I'd give it 3.5/5 I think. The story behind why they're on the run is quite intriguing and I'd definitely like to see more.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:11 pm
[quote:f8f1126074="midnight"]
The parents are both good characters. The dad is likeable. I also really like Sarah's character, it's good to see someone who gets a fresh start and can figure out who they want to be. I didn't particularly like the sons though. The little boy irritated me. The older brother isn't quite the typical teen show boy, but all he did was get angsty and pine for his girlfriend and that's not appealing to me. But I do recognise that they have to include that sort of thing for their demographic.[/quote:f8f1126074]

I too didn't like the boys.

I think the youngest kid is always going to be slightly annoying and grating.

But the older son was bloody annoying. I didn't feel for his situation at all. I didn't feel they ahd earnt his turmoil enough for me to feel for him.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:17 am
Hmm... I have a copy of this downloaded, may watch it today. The ad on the CW site made it look better than sounded, but I'm have doubts again...

[quote:5f22de79fc="VMars"]The only real concern i have is that there are so many shows that seem to have the same idea this coming season, and this one may be considered a soft touch in that it is not as gritty (as say Traveller)[/quote:5f22de79fc]

This is very true. 24 and Prison Break are already heading down the same path, and with this being on a Monday night as well on CW I really can't see this surviving. :(
Too many kidnapped/on the run-esque dramas this season. I have a good mind to just dump them all really! :?
Logie Winner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am
Has anyone been keeping up with this?

I had the second episode for a while and I just got around to watching it yesterday.

I think the show is struggling in the ratings because it doesn't quite know what it is. I did like the conspiracy element in the second episode. But it's sort of like Prison Break meets teen show of your choice. It's being okay at a lot of different elements rather than great at a couple.

There was some well done suspense in the second episode. It just didn't seem to fit as well with the other stuff that was going on.

I still don't like the little boy. I'm slightly less irritated by the older one. I still like the girl.

I'm still not warming to the woman who's trying to find them. The show hasn't given me much of a reason to, and maybe that's the point, to make the audience really feel for the family...I just find her character to be conceited and [u:8363f460fe]boring[/u:8363f460fe].

My favourite part was their old house. It's incredible! I think those flashbacks really showed a different side to the family. They don't come across as people who have had it all and are now left with nothing, which is odd. Maybe they should be playing up that angle more.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 pm
Never got around to watching it, and honestly, with the ratings that its getting I'm kinda glad I didn't. It does sound okay though, but can't see it lasting too long so not really too bummed.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:45 pm
Yeah i also have the second ep but with those ratings there is no way The CW can justify keeping it on the air past sweeps.

I don't want to become invested in a show that is already pretty much dead and buried.

It is a shame as the pilot was really quite good.

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:49 pm
I was the opposite to VMars on the Pilot... I didn't like it at all, and it certainly didn't make me want to watch the next episode... so it got canned off my download list.. so I have picked up a few others instead.. (Brothers and Sisters, Dexter for the moment..)
"It is now reckoned that the global Barbie population is almost a billion. With a billion Barbies on the planet, I've calculated that it would take an eight year old boy 317 years of non-stop work to pull all their heads off"

James May
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:09 pm
Runaway has been cancelled.

[quote:4c26febc49][b:4c26febc49]'Runaway' lost in shuffle as CW axes first drama[/b:4c26febc49]
[i:4c26febc49]Oct. 18, 2006[/i:4c26febc49]

"Runaway" has run aground. The CW drama has been axed after four airings. The series from Sony Pictures Television, revolving around a family who goes on the lam after the father is wrongly accused of murder, opened to weak numbers in the Monday 9 p.m. slot behind "7th Heaven" late last month. CW shifted "Heaven" and "Runaway" from Monday to Sunday last week, but the change didn't help "Runaway," which from Monday to Sunday last week, but the change didn't help "Runaway," which averaged 1.8 million viewers in its last airing. CW has pulled the show entirely and will fill the Sunday 9 p.m. slot with repeats for the time being. (Staff report)[/quote:4c26febc49]
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/television/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003256238
Logie Winner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:20 pm
Argh! :(

It's a far better show than 7th Heaven and I wish that more people saw it.

I wonder how many more episodes they've made and if we'll ever get to see them.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies