The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (Global Edition)

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Stargate Alien
Cash on hand: 0.00
Bank: 13.50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:50 am
I'm not sure how much this show differs from The Daily Show With Jon Stewart, now airing on the Comedy Channel, but I thought I'd give you a heads up on this one that will be airing tonight (Thursday) on [b:b353e6319e]SBS at 10pm[/b:b353e6319e].

The Daily Show is described as a fake news program which takes a satirical look at current affairs.

As I don't have Foxtel, I was very disappointed when I read a few weeks ago that TDS had been picked up by them, but I jumped for joy when I spotted it in the TV guide today. YAY!!

I'd say that this program would appeal to those who take an (cynical) interest in politics and current affairs.
Cinema snob claims original 'Dude, ou est mon auto' much better than Hollywood remake - The Chaser
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:04 am
Yep, I'm a fan. SBS aired a similar half-hour highlights program a couple of years back for a short while on Saturday nights. I remember enjoying it then, and I imagine I'll enjoy it now! :D
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:45 am
A friend sent me this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DClkE64nFDY

And I said that I wished this show was on here...and then low and behold it comes to SBS. :D I can't wait.

:thinking: I wish I had a million dollars...nope didn't work :(
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Stargate Alien
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:01 am
[quote:8ea62ebc3f="Kerrbea"]A friend sent me this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DClkE64nFDY

([/quote:8ea62ebc3f]

I saw that one just the other day!

Here's link of the now legendary exchange between Jon Stewart and the hosts of a show called Crossfire, which has been said to have led its cancellation.

Crossfire is supposed to be a forum for politcal debate, but if watch it, you'll see what Stewart thinks of it........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmZkw169xEI&search=Jon%20stewart%20

(runtime 14:13)

It's lenghty, but worth the wait.
Cinema snob claims original 'Dude, ou est mon auto' much better than Hollywood remake - The Chaser
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:16 am
Thanks for the link Firefly - some very funny stuff there.

The same friend that sent me the first link told me that the difference between the Global Edition and the normal Jon Stewart show is that they cut out a half hour and try and remove a lot of the US only stuff - hence the "Global". Pity because you don't always need to live in teh US to get the humour.
Stargate Alien
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:35 am
[quote:e6b0c9678f="Kerrbea"]
The same friend that sent me the first link told me that the difference between the Global Edition and the normal Jon Stewart show is that they cut out a half hour and try and remove a lot of the US only stuff - hence the "Global". Pity because you don't always need to live in teh US to get the humour.[/quote:e6b0c9678f]

Thanks for the info. I agree about not living in the U.S to get the humour. Some of the TDS clips that feature otherwise unknown U.S Congresspeople are just hilarious...and just a wee bit scarey too. I swear that they have a government full of Bjelke-Petersens.

Here's a recent clip of Bush on his visit to Germany, discussing the "important" issues of the day at the press conference with the German Chancellor. (Does it look like to you that she's actually cringing?)

http://movies.crooksandliars.com/TDS-Bush-Pig.mov

ER Surgeon
Cash on hand: 612.50
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 pm
I love The Daily Show. Some of the funniest stuff is the material on US politics. Most of the show that airs in the US basically ridicules George Bush, his administration, his policies, and people in Congress who support him. That stuff translates worldwide. If you can see the US version, you should definitely try to. It's hilarious.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 am
[quote:0dbfc2dcfb="Firefly"]Crossfire is supposed to be a forum for politcal debate, but if watch it, you'll see what Stewart thinks of it........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmZkw169xEI&search=Jon%20stewart%20

(runtime 14:13) It's lenghty, but worth the wait.[/quote:0dbfc2dcfb]

Brilliant thanks for the link! Love Jon Stewart ....his comment about the bow-tie was gold :D!!!! :lol:
[img81]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Mook-e/sig_carlinda.gif[/img81]
TV: South Of Nowhere - Season 2 | The L Word | Weeds | Sugar Rush
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 am
That was hilarious. :D Calling the host's hacks and telling them to 'stop hurting America' was priceless. :lol:

Funny, funny stuff.
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:06 am
Really enjoying this but I'm disappointed that we're only getting the Global Edition as the whole show is disjointed, badly edited or something because Jon Stewart just doesn't segway into the next segment and sometimes I feel like he's been cut off midway through. Plus I'm willing to overlook the US only humour because the "Bush is an idiot" stuff is universal as PCH said.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies