Hidden Palms

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:13 pm
I was curious about this possibly being part of CW's new line up as it was one of the pilots they were considering, it got picked up but will be a midseason replacement. Anyway, I heard that the pilot was available to check out so I thought I'd grab it and see what it was like. What I watched was actually very, very good.

Its like a mix of Veronica Mars and The OC - well, the good parts of the OC - the rich, upper class nature area and what they get up to (well, that's in Veronica Mars as well) but the mystery feel to the show. The characters are hiding something here quite well, but the "new boy" Johnny is unaware of what is going on.

This show is from Kevin Williamson so its quite a flashy effort. The dialogue is teeny as usual, but its quite good. The cast has a bevvy of familiar faces - ironically, two OC faces. Taylor Handley who played Oliver on The OC is the new kid Johnny, Michael Cassidy who played Zach also stars - it looks like Cynthia Nixon from Sex and the City is one of the mums, but I can't confirm that because her name isn't listed as part of the show. :shrug:

Love the music as well; loads of great songs to hear all the way through.

Okay, its another teen drama - its not imperative viewing at all, but the characters are great and I quite enjoyed it. I'll be checking it out come midseason - wow, 7 months away! :roll:
Game Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:29 pm
Saw the pilot too. At first I groaned and thought it was just Kevin Williamson giving Dawson's Creek an OC treatment :), but by the end I was intrigued by the mystery element. Didn't remind me of Veronica Mars, more Twin Peak-ish (well, the few minutes I've seen of Twin Peaks anyway). And Taylor Handley as Johnny didn't annoy me half as much as he did when he was Oliver Trask so that's a plus. I'll probably catch it when it airs to see where it all leads. 7 months you say? That's a long wait...

EDIT RE: Cynthia Nixon - I think I know which mum you mean, and she does look a lot like Cynthia but it's not her. I'm pretty sure it's [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924604/]Cheryl White[/url]. On a related note, I did see [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0082169/]Nicole Bilderback[/url]. I always spot her as the background asian in a lot of teen shows/movies. She finally got a larger role :).
[imgf8]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/newly_human/UseBars/Animated/userbar_02-tv02.gif[/imgf8]
Cash on hand: 110.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:17 am
I might have to check the pilot. Is seems to be my type of show. Midseason is still 7 months away so i dont now if a actually should watch it. Otherwise i might get excitied and not wait.
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 975,954.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:16 pm
I loved the pilot!!!!!!

At last a show that i cant wait to see more off.

The mystery aspects and the show in general was really well done and it had me intrigued. They didn't play the mystery up, but you werre left with a strong sense that there is heaps going on under the surface.

The lead characters were really well acted, infact i couldn't fault that casting.

Plus there were soem real genuine shocks and surprises thoughtout the pilot.

Also as Jay said the Music is fantastic, there is so much music it makes the show feel so alive and fresh.

I sooo wish this wasn't a midseason show :(
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 am
[quote:8cf660bfa0="Newly Human"]EDIT RE: Cynthia Nixon - I think I know which mum you mean, and she does look a lot like Cynthia but it's not her. I'm pretty sure it's [url=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0924604/]Cheryl White[/url].[/quote:8cf660bfa0]

Thank you for that. I looks so much like her but obviously not. :D

In hindsight, the one thing that bugs me is how much time passes since the father dies at the start. We have no real idea about his character other than some exchange between the son and mother. But yeah, the rest of it was spot on.

Glad you enjoyed it VMars. :D
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:05 pm
I watched it again last night and loved it more the second time.

So many great faces that have had memorable guest or recurring role on shows i love.

As mentioned Cheryl White (the cynthia look-alike), had a great appearance on Nip/Tuck playing a women with multiple personalites :)

Also from Nip/Tuck was the actress who played the psychologist Grace Santiago.

Plus the OC guys :mrgreen:

Oh and i love Gail O'Grady.

I jsut love the tone of the show, it is very engaging and i know people will use the comparison to The OC, but i really dont think it is like The OC at all.

The one year gap did seem very sudden, but it was certainly a way to get into the real story. But i like how the mystery wasn't over used and it just sort of hung there in the background. It was much more effective for me.
Daytime Soap Star
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:52 pm
so this is going to be on tv this year? yay. exciting.
[img35]http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u218/panic_mcfly/Lsiggy.jpg[/img35]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:28 pm
I am so pissed to find out that The CW has given it's Timslot to the loving joke of a show Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

So who knows when we will see this show :(

Logie Winner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:46 pm
Can someone give me a rundown on what this show is about? Like is it a drama or something else? What's it similar too? oc?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:49 pm
It is a 1 hour Drama by Kevin Williamson (Creater of Dawson's Creek)

I would for the sake of simplicity describe it as a mix between The OC and Desperate Housewives. But that does mean it is like those 2 shows, but it has a both a strong Teen focus, as well as a Mystery aspect (but this is must more suggestive and subtle in the pilot).

The Pilot was great and i still can't wait to see more of it, but the fact that The CW is benching it again isn't promising :(
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies