Deadwood

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:46 am
An absolutley brilliant show. Undertsandably up for best drama this year against 24, The West Wing, Lost and Six Feet Under

I am so happy to see the sales of this show doing so well. HMV has it at number three this week (number one last week) while EzyDVD have it at the number two spot. :D

Its great to see that so many drama fans are buying the set despite perhaps never even seeing it. Word of mouth is definately an effective advertising tool.

For those that don't know. Deadwood is a western set in 1876. A small town near a river full or Gold - with [i:4e2f97f3e2]no [/i:4e2f97f3e2]law. Many have called it the Soprano's of the west. Which in hindisght is a good way to get viewers interested as their is an enourmous Sopranos fan base.

However, apart from the swearing and violence there is little else similar. Ian McShane is all class in his role as the b*stard tavern and whorehouse owner. Many other exceptionl performances throughout the show - Timothy Olyphant for starters.

I picked up my season one box set two weeks ago. Hoepfully season two is well on the way with the brilliant sales of the first season.

Season two is currently airing on Showtime.
Semper Fidelis

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:51 am
I imported the first season from America some months back, although i havent gotten around to finishing it yet, so far it is brilliant. I love the gritty realism of it.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:49 pm
I've heard stunning things about this, but I'm not a fan of The Sopranos so I'm not sure how to take this.

Personally, when it comes to buying shows I haven't seen, I'm still hanging out for Carnivale to get a rebate! :roll:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:32 pm
This may sound a bit snobby, but to be honest jay, I'm not sure its up your alley. :shrug: I can't recommend it highly enough, but not being a Soprano's fan I'm unsure how you'd take it. :?

As I mentioned earleir though, the Sopranos comparison is merely a tagline. Very little other similiarirites apart from the violence.

I love it because its one fo the most real takes on the late 1800's and old west. Everyone is filthy, everyone carries a weapon, the language is apporapriately coarse, prostitution/whoring is a way of life, indians are "savages", men treat women like garbage and alcohol seems to be sold everywhere.

At least watch the pilot (download it if you have to), and decide from there. :D
Semper Fidelis
Buffy Body Double
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:07 am
Bought season 1 purely on word of mouth and loved it. Currently up to watching episode 9 of season 2, and it's still good - but really there hasn't been much happening. Season 1 was kind of slow, but still great, season 2 is even slower. Wyatt Earp is supposed to be appearing in season 3... that could be very interesting.
Buffy Body Double
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:11 am
[quote:0b3e023e13="bane"]As I mentioned earleir though, the Sopranos comparison is merely a tagline. Very little other similiarirites apart from the violence.[/quote:0b3e023e13]

I think there are some Soprano comparisons in the style, as opposed to the actual setting. The fairly slow storyline build-up, the anti-hero main character of Al Swearegen, the langauge, violence... they have a similar style in many regards, but the fact they are set about 120 years apart is the biggest difference in my mind.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:07 pm
[quote:bd29d8261e="bane"]This may sound a bit snobby, but to be honest jay, I'm not sure its up your alley. :shrug: I can't recommend it highly enough, but not being a Soprano's fan I'm unsure how you'd take it. :?

At least watch the pilot (download it if you have to), and decide from there. :D[/quote:bd29d8261e]

Nah, I fully understand bane and I take no offence.

That said, I'm not a fan of cop shows, but I do love Numb3rs. :shrug: Though your probably right, I think if I ever get the chance to download an episode I'll give it a shot. I'm willing to give anything at least a shot.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 57.50
Bank: 28,405.50
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:35 pm
I have missed so much of Deadwood!! I watched the first two weeks of it then had to go back to uni...I am going to have to buy season 2 on DVD.
Dr. Phlox: Till your digestive tract is fully restored, you may want to avoid Mess Hall.
Lt. Reed: What do you suggest I eat?
Dr. Phlox: You're welcome to some of the moth larvae I feed to my Pyrithian bat.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:02 am
[quote:37e6529fe3="arkanis50"]Bought season 1 purely on word of mouth and loved it. Currently up to watching episode 9 of season 2, and it's still good - but really there hasn't been much happening. [/quote:37e6529fe3]

What were your favourite episodes of the first season?

Potentially my top three would be "The Trial of Jack MCall", "Mister Wu" and "Sold Under Sin" (the season one finale).

The opening ten minutes of "Mister Wu" are just an absolute riot when Swearengen and Wu are trying to communicate through pictures - the language barrier obviously a problem in those days. Even now Im still laughing about it. :lol:
Semper Fidelis
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:49 pm
i love this show, im in the middle of watching season 1....

i have fallen head over hills for seth.
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies