South Of Nowhere

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:22 pm
Found a new little gem of a show from America's [url=http://www.the-n.com/ntv/shows/index.php?id=531]N Network[/url] (of which I'd never heard - it's a nighttime cable network for teens that is a subsidiary of MTV Networks....they show Degrassi) and I'm loving this show! Plus 'South of Nowhere' has been picked up for a second season so I can officially get attached :D.

[img:a4a7602fd2]http://www.the-n.com/ntv/shows/south/image/south_banner.jpg[/img:a4a7602fd2]

[u:a4a7602fd2]Show Summary:[/u:a4a7602fd2]

[list:a4a7602fd2]a half-hour drama created by Tom Lynch (The Secret World of Alex Mack :) ) about three teens struggling to adjust after their parents move them from Ohio to L.A. The pilot presentation of South of Nowhere was also directed by openly gay Rose Troche, who has directed several episodes of The L Word.

Spencer, a 16-year-old, athletic and attractive young girl who never felt like she fit in small town America. She is excited about her new life in Southern California, but begins to question everything--her friends, boundaries, school life--even her sexuality. Clay is the Carlins' adopted, African-American son. He is 17, smart, aware and trying to figure out how he fits into this new world. He is looking forward to connecting with his culture, but finds that being black in L.A. is a test he may not pass. Glen is a handsome 17-year-old who seemingly has the world in his pocket. The star basketball player hopes to keep up his "big man on campus" image and his popularity with the girls.[/list:u:a4a7602fd2]
I've seen the pilot it's a mix between One Tree Hill (for it's style, highschool basketball theme & casting choices); The OC (for its adult yet dramatic & good looking approach to teen life + you get a good sense of place, there's no doubt it's LA) & maybe a touch of Once & Again (for the bold storyline choices). I will be seeking out more of the series & look foward to it hopefully hitting our screens soon!
[img81]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Mook-e/sig_carlinda.gif[/img81]
TV: South Of Nowhere - Season 2 | The L Word | Weeds | Sugar Rush
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:31 pm
Plus it features one of the best looking new talents Matt Cohen :shock: :oops: :D 8):

[img:3df0463f6a]http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/sites/tv/img/2249_aiden_01.jpg[/img:3df0463f6a]

[img:3df0463f6a]http://www.bentblog.com/userImages/00000001/0000016867840.jpg[/img:3df0463f6a]
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:30 pm
Sounds interesting. I love how you bring little know series up mook-e! You find some unbelievable gems! :D
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:57 am
[quote:34e0910c40="aliasfanjay"]Sounds interesting. I love how you bring little know series up mook-e! You find some unbelievable gems! :D[/quote:34e0910c40]

Love finding them!! :D I really think this show is gonna take off.....it's on a new network & the subject is somewhat new (at least to base a teen show around) so the press hasn't come in support yet. But first the fans then the media.

I've watched the first few episodes & it's addictive. Great title song too with The Donna's "I dont wanna know (if you dont want me)"
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:28 pm
I actually went looking for the downloads - there are none that I could find for the pilot or the first season! :(

Logie Winner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:08 pm
Ive downloaded most of the eps of this show and have to say its awesome! Its a pity there is only 11 episodes though and its only a half hour show too it has so much potential. I only heard bout this show the otehr day ad i ahve to say im hooked pity season 2 is a long time away. I mainly like it for Spencer and Ashley and Aiden coz he's a hottie the rest of the characters dont really interest me i msut say.
It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Wont Feel A Thing
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:13 am
[quote:62c20b5ab7="Rebecca"]Ive downloaded most of the eps of this show and have to say its awesome! Its a pity there is only 11 episodes though and its only a half hour show too it has so much potential. I only heard bout this show the otehr day ad i ahve to say im hooked pity season 2 is a long time away. I mainly like it for Spencer and Ashley and Aiden coz he's a hottie the rest of the characters dont really interest me i msut say.[/quote:62c20b5ab7]

Yeh I did a similar thing - found out about the show, downloaded a couple & loved it so I got the entire season 1 :D. I agree Spencer, Ashley & Aiden are the best characters by far - the brothers are annoying! I don't want to see the mum getting it on :sicky:. Though I liked the only scene between Ashley & her dad - very cute. The show's music is pretty good too.

It'll be interesting to see where Season 2 takes the show & where exactly the splashley relationship goes. And Aiden needs a decent date! That boy is far too metro for his own good :lol:.

When is season 2 coming? :?

Logie Winner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:04 pm
Lol Aiden is hot but needs sum1 else not dat Madison chick or Spashley. Season 2 i read was coming out in da states in like October this year can u believe that! I cant wait that long for another episode im hooked now! I jsut saw the final episode today it was really good.
It Was A Lie When They Smiled And Said You Wont Feel A Thing
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 am
Season 2 is going to begin production soon it seems:

[quote:5178f5c411="thefutoncritic.com"][b:5178f5c411]Love, Relationships, Family Death and the Arrival of a Long Lost Sibling Hits Close to Home on South of Nowhere Season 2[/b:5178f5c411]
[i:5178f5c411]Tuesday, May 2, 2006[/i:5178f5c411]

NEW YORK, May 2 -- The N, the nighttime network for teens, begins production on season two of the teen favorite and critically acclaimed series South of Nowhere. Production of 13 new half-hour episodes from veteran writer-creator-producer Tom Lynch (Romeo!, Scout's Safari, Caitlin's Way), will begin shooting Monday, May 15 on location in Los Angeles. The second season of the original series will premiere on The N October 2006.

Season two of South of Nowhere, which was recently nominated for a GLAAD Award for Best Dramatic Series, will continue to deal with complex story lines as the series delves deeper into the family life of the Carlins' multi-racial home. New issues revolving around identity and other life changing events such as addiction, adoption, being outed, death, racial friction, hate crimes and the arrival of a long lost sibling will all collide and shake the foundation of their everyday lives. How the Carlins choose to confront and accept their biggest hardships will define what and who they are as a family.

"South of Nowhere will continue to portray the authenticity of teens' lives and the struggles that many face with self discovery and self acceptance," said Amy Friedman, Senior Vice President, Development / Creative Director, Nickelodeon Digital Television.

The second season of the acclaimed series will address lingering issues left behind from season one. Plot lines include Ashley's relationship with Spencer and the rift it has caused between Spencer and her mother Paula, as well as Clay's struggle with his personal and racial identity after finding his biological mother.

"In the first season, millions of fans around the country were captivated by the realistic situations confronting our South of Nowhere characters," said Lynch. "It's the viewers' devotion to our storylines that inspires us to be bold, take risks and go deeper into the truth about the lives of teens today. And we promise we won't disappoint!" [/quote:5178f5c411]

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20060502n04
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:43 pm
Wow cool - thanks for that Jay. Have you seen an epi yet?

I was just saying how much potential 'Young Americans' had before it was cut off after the 1st season & here's a perfect example of another teen show pushing the boundaries & going outside the box & actually getting awards & the audience necessary to build a bigger following & continuing complex storylines. I can't wait!!! :D
Next

Return to Drama and Comedies