Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:48 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Rian Johnson to Write and Direct Star Wars: Episode VIII!

In a major update to the future of the Star Wars saga on the big screen, Deadline is reporting that Brick, Looper and The Brothers Bloom helmer Rian Johnson is making plans to write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. Although the outlet is also reporting that he'll direct Star Wars: Episode IX, TheWrap claims that Johnson will only provide a treatment for the saga-finale and that a director for that final film has not yet been decided on. We'll update with official word as soon as it's available.

Johnson joins a seemingly ever-growing slate of top directors that are setting lightspeed coordinates for a galaxy far, far away. J.J. Abrams is currently filming Star Wars: Episode VII while both Gareth Edwards (Godzilla, Monsters) and Josh Trank (Chronicle) are planning to helm solo films. The plan is for a new Star Wars film to hit every year beginning with Episode VII on December 18, 2015.

Johnson took to Twitter as news of the deal broke, sharing his thoughts on the announcement via the below video clip from Phil Kaufman's 1983 film The Right Stuff. (Please be aware, the clip does contain some strong language).

Interesting. Star Wars is in good hands.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:47 pm
Collider wrote:Rian Johnson Talks STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII; Praises the Use of Practical Effects on EPISODE VII

Have you had enough of all the Star Wars: Episode VII news today? Well, you’re in luck because now we’re going to focus on Star Wars: Episode VIII! There’s been talk of a Star Wars trilogy film hitting theaters every other year with a Star Wars spinoff movie in between, so if that really does pan out, Rian Johnson’s Episode VIII could be heading towards a 2017 release. Three years may seem like a lot, but when you’ve got to write, direct and then take a film of this magnitude through post-production, the time is going to fly by fast.

Johnson has talked about taking the gig a little bit since being hired back in June, but not to the extent he just did in a new podcast.

Just before the 35-minute mark of the Girls in Hoodies podcast (via /Film), one of the hosts just jumps right in and suggests that being responsible for a film like Star Wars: Episode VIII must be a daunting thing. Johnson responds:

“Yeah, but the most surprising thing is just how not scary and how much fun … It’s boring to talk about because the only thing I can really say is I’m just happy. But I don’t have the terror that I kind of expected I would, at least not yet. I’m sure I will at some point.”

From there one of the hosts suggests that Johnson might not have to answer to the “old powers” because there’s “more air” to the situation. Johnson then notes:

“Yeah, I think that’s true. And coming at the time it does where we’ve – like if there’d been no Star Wars movies since Return of the Jedi, there’d be a lot more pressure, but the fact we’ve had them, we’ve had the prequels, we’ve had the TV shows, we’ve had Angry Birds Star Wars … I play it all the time!”

The group also discusses Johnson’s experience visiting the Star Wars: Episode VII set in London. He highlights:

“I think a little bit. Right now they’re shooting in London, which is why actually I was in London, for reals … Yeah, I think I’m definitely gonna go back. Visiting a set that you’re not working on though, I always feel kind of uncomfortable, not because anyone makes you feel uncomfortable at all, but just like, if you don’t have a job on the set, the set is a really strange place to be on.”

That’s when the clip of J.J. Abrams with the X-Wing comes up and Johnson chimes in with this:

“They’re doing so much practical building for this one. It’s awesome. They’re doing it all right, yeah … I think people are coming back around to [practical effects], yeah, it feels like there is sort of that gravity pulling us back towards it … I think that more and more people are hitting kind of a critical mass in terms of the CG-driven action scene lending itself to a very specific type of action scene, where physics go out the window and it becomes so big so quick. I probably sound like a grumpy old man talking about it, but the thing is, I do wonder because I think kids are growing up watching those and that’s the thing that they love now so I don’t know whether it is a generational thing, and it could be.”
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm
Collider wrote:STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII Opening May 26, 2017

StarWars.com has just announced that that the Star Wars: Episode VIII release date will be May 26, 2017. Additionally, Rian Johnson has been confirmed as director. Disney also announced that the Star Wars spinoff would be titled Star Wars: Rogue One.

But focusing on Episode VIII, the big news here is that Disney is returning Star Wars to Memorial Day weekend. Star Wars: Episode VII was a big break from tradition, and also director J.J. Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy both wanted Episode VII to land in May 2016 so they would have more time to work on the picture. However, Disney head Bob Iger wanted Episode VII out this year in order to appease shareholders. As I’ve noted before, this puts Star Wars fans in the awkward position of buying Star Wars merchandise for the holidays without having seen the film, which opens December 18th.

Even though Episode VIII movie won’t have the year-long gap that Star Wars: Episode VII has with Star Wars: Rogue One (which opens December 16, 2016) it doesn’t look like he’ll be burdened with the time crunch. If anything, it appears that Star Wars is going back to where it belongs.

Disney confirming Rian Johnson will write and direct Episode VIII isn’t really major news in my book. Johnson was announced for the gig last June, and ever since he’s been talking up the film in terms of the direction and use of practical effects. That’s not to say I’m indifferent to the news. I’m as ecstatic about it now as I was when it was first announced, and I can’t wait to see what he does with the franchise.

Here’s the pertinent information from the press release:

Bob Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce, and J.J. Abrams will serve as executive producer.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,448.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:09 pm
they've been filming it since mid last year and now the title has been revealed, and will be the last appearence by Carrie Fisher which she had finished all of her scenes. not sure what to think of the title, sounds like the last movie. or the last movie for Luke?

they are making an Episode 9 and the story was intended to be a trilogy, wouldn't make much sense calling Ep 8 The Last Jedi. Ep 9, yes. if Luke dies then it would make sense. but isn't the new girl considered a Jedi too? she has the force and all.

it's out in December.
Cash on hand: 7,630.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 pm
Interesting title I can't wait to see this! I wish it came out sooner.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:37 pm
TRAILER!!

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but it looks good.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:01 pm
Looks good but I wish the trailer had actually showed more. I guess that is why they call it a teaser...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:11 pm
ilis wrote:Looks good but I wish the trailer had actually showed more. I guess that is why they call it a teaser...

here you go, this new trailer will show you a lot more!

I'm gonna have to have a marathon before this comes out!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:44 pm
Looks amazing! I can't wait! :D

TV Watcher
Cash on hand: 52.50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am
Same here. I can;t wait for this!
Next

Return to Movies