Terminator 6

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:06 pm
Empire wrote:James Cameron Talks Terminator's Future

Last night at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, there was a special event celebrating the 30th anniversary of The Terminator, which really doesn’t look a day over 25. We got a chance to talk with the father of the franchise, James Cameron, about the future of the killer cyborg universe and his current project on a moon called Pandora.

With Terminator: Genisys headed our way next year, we naturally wanted to ask Cameron what he thought about the new movie, with which he’s not directly involved but is watching with interest. “I'm friendly with the filmmakers, the writer Laeta Kalogridis has worked with me on projects,” he said. “I'm hoping it's great. I'd like them to get it right, and based on the script that I read there's a pretty good chance that it could. It looks like it could be fun.”

Is he worried that it could tarnish the legacy? “It's not my problem! It's like being a grandparent, the kids come over and you can send them back! When I walked away from the franchise, I had to do it with the sense that I can invest in emotion. To me, it's all upside, because if it's good, it's good for Arnold (Schwarzenegger), my friend Laeta and if it's not good? It doesn't bother me personally.”

The movement on the new film – or films, given that a trilogy is in the works – is partially inspired by the fact that the rights to the characters and ideas revert to Cameron in 2019. It doesn’t sound like he’s ready to re-visit the world any time soon, though. “I haven't really thought that far ahead yet. I've got plenty of time to think about it. It might be fun to completely re-invent the franchise,” he admits. “A lot has to do with what happens with it in the meantime, people may have Terminator fatigue.”

And what’s keeping him busy is his work on three – count ‘em – Avatar sequels, which are in development and getting set to start shooting. “I'm just visiting Earth tonight; I normally live on Pandora, where I work,” Cameron cracked. “We're gearing up, we're in the design phase right now, completing the drafts for three scripts. We've got a whole art department with walls plastered with amazing designs that I wish I could share with everybody, but that's what the film's for!”

The Terminator is available on Blu-ray now from MGM & Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

I thought it would be interesting to make a thread about the years leading up to James Cameron getting the rights back to Terminator. He is watching with interest as this new trilogy will affect where he goes with his version. I feel like the Avatar sequels are just a way to kill time till he can make this film again.
Last edited by Kal on Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Empire wrote:James Cameron Talks Terminator

The 30th anniversary of Terminator has come around. Has it felt like a momentous year for you?
It's also the 20th anniversary of True Lies, which to me is a little more daunting. I've only made two movies since True Lies. I had an early burst, came out of the blocks hot. I wrote the shooting draft of The Terminator, I wrote Rambo and I wrote Aliens all in a three-month period, so I don't understand what's taken so damn long with the Avatar scripts. I wrote three scripts in three months!

You're not involved with Terminator 5, but you gave them advice. Is it hard not to get involved?
Not at all. I remember very distinctly there was a point where the idea of another Terminator sequel came around when I was finishing Titanic, and I felt like where I was with Titanic, where I had evolved to as a filmmaker, telling that kind of story and at that point going back to the Terminator world felt like a step backwards for me. And I let it go. I knew that the moment I let it go, the moment I stepped off and said you guys, go with my blessing and make another sequel, I knew that I had to detach myself emotionally from whatever happened after that. I was out. That was in 1997. I've been emotionally removed from Terminator since then.

The rights will revert to you in 2019...
Apparently there's some truth to that. It's a little bit of an untested legal area, but I think that my understanding is that they come back to me as the original creator. I don't know exactly what I'll do with that. I'm not really thinking in those terms right now.

It might be hard to detach yourself then.
If I was going to get back into the Terminator world, it would have to be a very broad stroke reconceptualization. If you think about what Terminator is really about, it's really about the dark side of technology, and it's about humans allowing their technology to move us into a trans-human world, so it's cyborgs, cybernetics, all that sort of thing. I would broadly reinterpret what that meant if I was to get excited about it. The one thing I like about the rights reverting is that I don't think in the new series they're telling a new story, I don't think there's a plan to remake the first film. I hate remakes of movies. Why remake Psycho? That's ridiculous, just watch Psycho. So why remake The Terminator? Just watch The Terminator!

So when and if James decides to make a Terminator film it would most likely be a sequel to T2 but detached from characters like Kyle Reese, Sarah Connor and Arnold's T800. Terminator's are meant to look like anyone, T1000 is proof of that. I really like to see what he has in mind for a future sequel, if that ever happens.

I firmly believe that the Avatar franchise is just to keep him busy until 2019. 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:26 am
The Terminator franchise has been put on hold.

There will likely be no sequels, prequels or requels until after James Cameron has the rights to Terminator again in 2019. Even then he might just terminate the franchise all together.

By the time the Times article appeared, Terminator: Genisys had opened to a soft $27 million domestic, and the article suggested that the film illustrated a hard truth: "Paying for movies is one thing. Steering them creatively is another." The film did well overseas, especially in China, where it grossed $112 million. But the $150 million-plus movie still will lose money, and sources say the notion of a Terminator universe is on hold indefinitely.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dangers-financiers-think-they-can-827843
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,270.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:29 am
interesting, they should make 1 more movie to be released in 2018 instead of 2 like they originally wanted.

even though the new one was just 'OK' and nothing special I would have liked to see the direction they were headed.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm
some news has come out on the Terminators future, where they will go from T5. might be another reboot, might be a continuation or both, or maybe one last epic movie to end it all. who knows.

James Cameron will be returning as more of a producer role, as he'll be busy with Avatar.

but the director of Deadpool will be directing, read about it here -

http://moviehole.net/2017112171james-ca ... conclusion

wish Cameron was directing, then it will truly be his trilogy and end it!
Cash on hand: 6,600.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:50 pm
I hope there is another one but who knows what will happen. Still 2 years till James Cameron gets the rights.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:35 pm
Director Tim Miller (Deadpool) has been confirmed.

the new Halloween movie will have Jamie Lee Curtis return, now the new Terminator will have Linda Hamilton return apparently!

this will be ignoring T3-T5, they've said it might be a more passing the torch sort of sequel/reboot.

Return to Movies