Ghost in the Shell [Live Action] (2017)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:49 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Scarlett Johansson Offered Ghost in the Shell!

Although The Wolf of Wall Street‘s Margot Robbie was said to be up for the role earlier this year, Deadline is now reporting that Lucy and Marvel’s The Avengers‘s Scarlett Johansson has been offered the leading role in DreamWorks’ live-action adaptation of the popular manga Ghost in the Shell. Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders will helm the feature from a script by William Wheeler, based on the series by Masamune Shirow.

Produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul and with the backing of Steven Spielberg, the rights to Shirow’s original 1989 complex futuristic thriller, about the members of a covert ops unit that takes on technology-related crime, were picked up several years ago with plans to use the latest 3D technology to film it. In Japan, the huge success of the comics led to a number of anime film adaptations, a TV series and a series of video games with DreamWorks releasing the second anime film in North America.

It remains to be seen whether or not Johansson will take the part, although Robbie is now said to be out of the running altogether, instead targeting a role in director David Ayer’s upcoming DC Comics adaptation, Suicide Squad.

Johansson, who also starred this year in Under the Skin and Captain America: The Winter Soldier, will soon be reprising her Marvel Cinematic Universe role in next summer’s Avengers: Age of Ultron.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:44 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Scarlett Johansson to Star in Live-Action Ghost in the Shell!

Back in October, it was revealed that Scarlett Johansson had been offered the lead role in DreamWorks’ live-action remake of Ghost in the Shell and now Variety brings word that the actress has accepted the role! Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders will helm the feature from a script by William Wheeler, based on the series by Masamune Shirow.

Produced by Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul and with the backing of Steven Spielberg, the rights to Shirow’s original 1989 complex futuristic thriller, about the members of a covert ops unit that takes on technology-related crime, were picked up several years ago with plans to use the latest 3D technology to film it. In Japan, the huge success of the comics led to a number of anime film adaptations, a TV series and a series of video games with DreamWorks releasing the second anime film in North America.

Johansson’s involvement in the film does raise questions about her place in the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Black Widow. Though she is set to appear in this summer’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, could production on Ghost in the Shell prevent her involvement in Captain America: Civil War? It’s unclear at this point, though production on “Civil War” is set to begin this spring in Atlanta, Georgia, targeting a May 2016 release.

Awesome! I enjoyed "Lucy". 8-)
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,108.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:32 pm
First Trailer -

looks quite good and futuristic, like a modern Blade Runner.

never seen the animated movie, seen Akira so hopefully they'll make that too.

I'll check this one out.
Cash on hand: 5,657.50
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:40 pm
I really enjoyed this movie. Not for everyone but worth watching if you like anime or even just like the look of the trailers like I did.
Cash on hand: 17,108.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 am
just saw this, it was ok.

it was kind of bland, action was cool when it was there but it wasn't too often. the star of the movie is the special effects for the futuristic city, when ever they showed it I just had to look around it. looks great, wish real life cities looked like that. reminded me a mixture of Blade Runner and Fifth Element. Scarlett was fine in the role, but could have been played by anyone. not much of a story.

it was fine, am curious what the aminatef movie is like. might have to check it out at some point.

Movie:

This movie was rated 3.0 stars out of 5

PS Ilis I merged your post in the other thread with this one, since you talked about it.

Return to Movies