Guardians of the Galaxy 2

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 27,190.00
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:06 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:James Gunn Pens Heartfelt Post on Guardians of the Galaxy’s Success, Teases Work on Sequel

As we reported earlier today, Marvel Studios’ Guardians of the Galaxy rocked the box office, setting a new August opening record with an estimated $94 million. Following the announcement of the box office estimates, director James Gunn took to his Facebook page where he wrote to the fan community and everyone involved with the production, thanking them for the success of the film and letting us know he’s already working on the sequel. It reads as follows:

Thanks to all of you who saw (and are seeing) Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend, from the bottom of my heart. The Guardians are a group of oddballs, outcasts, and geeks. The movie is for anyone who ever felt cast aside, left out, or different. It’s for all of us who don’t belong. This movie belongs to you. And, today, I think we’re doing okay.

I am of course happy with all the film has accomplished box-office-wise. But what touches me the most is that the film I told the folks at Marvel I wanted to make two years ago is the film that you’re seeing in theaters today – it’s that so many of you seem to be directly EXPERIENCING the film I INTENDED. The cast, the producers, the crew, and I felt like we were making something special while we were making it. But it is very rare that a director’s INTENTIONS in creating a film, or a scene, or a character, or a line of dialogue are, seemingly, specifically what is experienced by an audience (not to mention critics!), and that seems to be what has happened here. You have allowed a talking raccoon – for a moment, a minute, or a day – to make you a little more human. And for that, I am profoundly grateful.

If I relied on myself to implement these intentions, the film would be a shambling mess. But instead, I had a wonderful cast, genius producers, an incredibly brave studio, sublimely talented visual effects artists, great editors, and the best damn crew of mostly-British bastards to actually implement these intentions for me. Where I had a good idea they would, through alchemy, transform it into a great one. Many of you involved are friends of mine on Facebook. Many of you will read this somewhere else. I love you all.

You may remember me posting here a couple weeks ago how sad I was to be finishing up the film, that I was having trouble letting go of Rocket, and that I was going to miss him. But seeing him (and Groot, and the rest of the team) embraced by the world like they have been, to be UNDERSTOOD, makes it a wonderful letting go. It’s like giving a foster pet up for adoption to the most wonderful parents in the world.

And, of course, I’m not really saying goodbye as, while many of you have been enjoying the film, I’ve spent this weekend hard at work on the sequel. I couldn’t help myself! The results are nice but it’s really the creative process I love and that keeps me going. I’m on fire with this thing! The Guardians have so many hardships and heartaches and triumphs ahead of them, and I can’t wait to share them with all of you.

Onto week two…

Love, James

The sequel to the film, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, is already set for release on July 28, 2017.

Awesome!! :D
Last edited by Kal on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:55 am
Superhero Hype wrote:James Gunn Teases the Identity of Star-Lord’s Father in Guardians of the Galaxy 2

After seeing James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy, audiences were left with a pretty big question: “Who is Peter Quill’s father?” (Second, of course, to, “Why do you let him lick you like that?”) Gunn isn’t saying who Quill’s dad is, but he today tells Empire who he isn’t.

“It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics,” says Gunn, knocking Spartoi emperor J’son out of the running. “I’ll say that much… There have been a lot of documents passed around about who Peter Quill’s father is between a select two or three of us. That’s been part of the plan since the beginning, that’s something I had to work out before we shot the screenplay. We wanted to make sure Yondu’s place in everything made sense and it does, so it’s all very specific stuff.”

Gunn also updates on whether or not we’ll see Thanos in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

“He will show up if he helps our story,” says Gunn, “and he will not show up at all if not. Thanos is not the most important thing in ‘Guardians 2,’ that’s for damn sure. There’s the Guardians themselves and other threats the Guardians are going to be facing that are not Thanos.”

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is set to hit theaters on July 28, 2017.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:08 am
Collider wrote:James Gunn Teases GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3; Discusses Doing Certain Things “the Marvel Way”

Marvel only announced Guardians of the Galaxy 2 during the big Phase 3 reveal a couple of weeks ago, but that doesn’t mean director James Gunn isn’t considering a possible third film. Gunn just revealed that while working on the first Guardians of the Galaxy he was also gearing up for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and “perhaps even beyond that.” Per usual, it’s not a sure thing until Marvel deems it so, but considering Guardians of the Galaxy is currently the highest earner of the year and is an all-around fantastic film, at this point, a third go-around seems possible. Guardians of the Galaxy is due on DVD and Blu-ray on December 9th and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 hits theaters on May 5, 2017.

Here’s what Gunn told The Playlist about the plot of Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

“We open up on a ‘Mission: Impossible’ scenario where all the characters die … No, to be honest, I had the basic story for number two while I was working on number one, and perhaps even beyond that. So it’s gonna answer a lot of questions that are proposed in the first one, and we’ll be able to get to know some of the characters we didn’t get to know in the first one a little bit more, and we might meet a few new characters too.”

Clearly he doesn’t flat-out say, “I’m working on Guardians 3,” but it’s still nice to know he’s got long-term plans brewing whether they’re for more Guardians of the Galaxy movies, a spinoff or perhaps some sort of Marvel Cinematic Universe crossover project. Based on what Gunn said about making the move from a low budget production like Super to Guardians, it seems as though he wouldn’t mind sticking with the MCU for a while:

“Generally I like making big movies! It suits me, especially when I can make them like ‘Guardians’ where I’m actually loving what I’m telling. I wouldn’t want to go off and do something I wasn’t excited about, but luckily I’m excited by big pop things, I’m just like that. And I like being able to mix it with something that’s a little edgier. I’m pretty lucky … I made ‘Super’ for $3 million, and that was filmed in 24 days. And that $3 million dollars went to a lot of things other than what shows up on screen. Once you get done with the unions and everything else, that’s just like the basic cost of what you can make a movie for. And it was not easy, it was a pretty harrowing experience, especially when you work the way that I do — I’m not a guy who goes in and finds the moment, I’m a guy who plans everything. I’m happy that I did it, in part because it got me ‘Guardians,’ but it was pretty difficult.”

While discussing budgetary limitations and how they require him to think in ways he wouldn’t normally think, Gunn also noted:

“It’s a series of cheats. And ‘Guardians’ was very much like that. I very much knew that there were certain things about ‘Guardians’ that needed to stay the Marvel way, but then figuring out a way around them to do my own thing was I think part of what made me have so much fun with the movie. So there’s always those things, whether they’re budgetary or otherwise. And even on ‘Guardians,’ there was a lot of budgetary constraints.”
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:James Gunn Says Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is ‘a Story About Fathers’

Things have been pretty active on the terrestrial side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe between new episodes of “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” Netflix’s “Daredevil” and next month’s much-anticipated Avengers: Age of Ultron. It was on the red carpet for the latter that Guardians of the Galaxy‘s James Gunn caught up with Vulture and spoke a bit about what’s on the way on the other side of the MCU.

“At its heart, Guardians is a story about families,” says Gunn, “and if the first film was about him and his mother, this is a story about fathers. So it’s exciting to go there… Listen, I’m still excited about Star-Lord’s character and where he goes.”

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is targeted to begin production at Pinewood Atlanta in February of 2016 and is then slated to hit the big screen May 5, 2017. That’s not stopping Gunn from already making plans for a bit further down the line.

“I knew for a long time what the story of the second one was gonna be,” Gunn explains, “And the third one!”

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will once again feature Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, and Bradley Cooper as unlikely heroes who must team up in order to defeat a cosmic force of epic proportions.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 16,810.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:13 pm
our first look!

wasn't a big fan of the original, seen it once so it's due for a rewatch.
hopefully they go with a new soundtrack, same trailer music in this one.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:08 am
I am Groot... I mean, new Trailer -

looks pretty good.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:05 pm
Super Bowl Trailer -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 am
Final Trailer -

Cash on hand: 4,142.50
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 pm
Saw this today and really enjoyed it! Not as good as the first one but still worth seeing if you liked that one.

Return to Movies