Power Rangers (2017)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 29,909.00
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:28 am
Superhero Hype wrote:Lionsgate and Saban Brands Partner for Power Rangers Live-Action Movie

Lionsgate and Saban Brands are partnering to develop and produce an original live-action feature film based on the iconic "Power Rangers" property, it was announced today by creator of "Power Rangers" Haim Saban and Lionsgate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer.

Saban launched "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" as a live-action TV series more than 20 years ago, and the series has been in continuous production ever since. It has subsequently grown into one of the world’s most popular and recognizable brands, with toys, apparel, costumes, video games, DVD's, comic books and other merchandise.

The two companies noted that, with an extensive and extremely devoted worldwide fan base as well as a deep and detailed mythology, the "Power Rangers" are primed for the big screen. The new film franchise will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.

"Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our Power Rangers brand to the next level," said Saban. "They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from 'The Hunger Games' to 'Twilight' and 'Divergent.' In partnership with the Lionsgate team, we're confident that we will capture the world of the Power Rangers and translate it into a unique and memorable motion picture phenomenon with a legacy all its own."

"We're thrilled to be partnering with Haim Saban and his team to maximize the potential of this immensely successful and universally recognized franchise," said Feltheimer. "The Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever. We have the ideal partner and the perfect brand with which to create a motion picture event that will resonate with moviegoers around the world for years to come."

Saban's "Power Rangers" franchise is the brainchild of Haim Saban, creator and producer of the original "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" hit series that launched in 1993. Following its introduction, "Power Rangers" quickly became the most-watched children's television program in the United States and remains one of the top-rated and longest running boys live-action series in television history. The series follows the adventures of a group of ordinary teens who "morph" into superheroes and save the world from evil. It is seen in more than 150 markets around the world, translated into numerous languages and is a mainstay in the most prominent international children's programming blocks.

20th Century Fox previously released two feature films, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie in 1995 and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie in 1997.

Yes. That's right, Power Rangers is getting a reboot as well! O<>

I have the VHS tapes of the first two films so it will be interesting how this new film turns out. 'Pacific Rim' and 'Transformers' films made this happen for sure.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 30,505.00
Bank: 2,195,898.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:54 am
Kal wrote:I have the VHS tapes of the first two films so it will be interesting how this new film turns out.

I've got the 1st one ... used to LOVE the Power Rangers. The originals were so cool (especially Tommy) ;)
Shame about how progressively bad the series got.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:35 pm
cleo wrote:
Kal wrote:I have the VHS tapes of the first two films so it will be interesting how this new film turns out.

I've got the 1st one ... used to LOVE the Power Rangers. The originals were so cool (especially Tommy) ;)
Shame about how progressively bad the series got.

Yep, the original series was awesome. Jason, Tommy, Billy and Kimberly were my favourites at the time. Back in the day I watched pretty much the "Zordon era" and stopped there just before I started high school. So that was:

Mighty Morphin
Alien Rangers
Zeo
Turbo
In Space

Good times. I also expect cameos from some of the original actors/actresses I hope. Most likely we'll get the original Tommy (Jason David Frank), Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson) and Billy (David Yost) appearing in the film in some form. 8-)

EDIT:
The original composer 'Ron Wasserman' who made the theme below has ruled himself out of being the main composer for this film. :(

Absolutely not. They'll bring in a big name film composer that will do generic pop rock OR a full orchestral track....just like the original. LOL! And they'll license pop songs for it. I know how these guys work.

Can't wait to hear what pop star recuts the theme with studio musicians. :)

Just can't beat this theme. 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:29 pm
NPS wrote:Matt Austin Interested in Directing New Power Rangers Movie

Ever since Saban Brands and Lionsgate made the announcement on May 7th about making a new live action Power Rangers movie, the topic has been the talk of the town including trending on Facebook. Speculation has been rampant about release dates, the cast, and the director.

One person who is throwing his hat in the ring for the director’s chair is Power Rangers SPD’s own Matt Austin. After his stint on SPD, he has gone back to directing short films and TV shows and is currently directing his feature film Pretend We’re Kissing. Here’s his statement:

"If I were to helm the Power Rangers Reboot, I’d try and make sure the whole thing retained an adventurous/tongue-in-cheek tone – even though I’m sure it would be set against the backdrop of the end of world. I don’t think this needs to be “dark” but I don’t think it needs to be campy either. At the end of the day it has to be kid friendly. (Every adult AND kid I know loved The Lego Movie.) I think it’s sad that there are little boys and girls obsessed with Spider-Man and Superman and they can’t even go see the films of their heroes. On an economic front, that doesn’t make a lot of sense either. That’s a lot of tiny bums in seats they’re missing out on.

On a content note, it wouldn’t make sense to try and compete with the X-Men, Iron Man’s and Captain America’s. They just can’t, even with the nostalgia factor. I’m very looking forward to seeing The Guardians of the Galaxy. It looks like it has a great sense of humor. Things like that movie, other teen hero flicks like Attack the Block, films I grew up with like the Goonies or The Last Starfighter, and even Pixar’s The Incredibles, would be the wells I would draw on for inspiration. I also think it would be fun to have it set in the 90s, when the show premiered.

I don’t know how many “well-known” directors are going to be attracted to the project, so if it’s going to be someone new and unknown, why the heck can’t it be me? I have directed teen series (Mudpit), my documentary on John Hughes (Don’t You Forget About Me) certainly has made me a bit of an expert coming-of-age films and my experience as an actor on the series is nothing to sneeze at. If Marc Webb, a filmmaker with zero action movie experience (500 Days of Summer) can be hired to do Spider-Man (B unit did all the action sequences), based on his style and attention to character, story and relationships, why can’t I go from my past shorts, features, and my recent film (Pretend We’re Kissing) to this?"

I don't think he'll be directing the film. But I do like some of his ideas, setting it in the 90's is intriguing and having the film be humorous but still serious could make the film more inviting. We'll see how it turns out in the coming months, I do want a more mature Power Rangers though. 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:48 pm
Johnny Yong Bosch/Adam (Second black ranger from MMPR) talks about what he'd like to see from the Power Rangers movie:

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Pretty sure he is in the film. Not as Tommy but he will have a cameo.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:03 pm
Collider wrote:POWER RANGERS Movie to Be Written by X-MEN: FIRST CLASS Scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stenz; Roberto Orci to Executive Produce

The Power Rangers movie is gaining some steam, as Lionsgate and Saban have enlisted a pair of screenwriters to put pen to paper. Heat Vision reports that X-Men: First Class scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz will pen the screenplay for Power Rangers, while studio favorite Roberto Orci has boarded the pic as an executive producer. In addition to First Class, Miller and Stentz also wrote Marvel’s Thor and worked on the TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Fringe, the latter of which was also produced by Orci. It’s unclear what this new Power Rangers movie will entail, but it’s planned as a complete reinvention of the property.

For those unfamiliar with the wonderful cheese that is Power Rangers, it began as a 1993 TV series called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that followed five teenagers who were bestowed with special powers that allowed them to morph into brightly colored rangers so that they could battl evil aliens. It drew from a number of influences, most notably Voltron, but was a staple of many a 90s kid’s childhood viewing habits. It also spawned a lucrative toy business, as fans collected the individual rangers as well as the animal vehicles that combined together to morph into the weapon with which the Rangers defeated their alien foe.

Though Orci’s involvement isn’t encouraging, he’s only onboard as an executive producer and Heat Vision notes that he intends to simply develop the movie’s story with Miller and Stentz before they tackle the scripting duties. His hands are full anyway these days with Star Trek 3, which is planned as his directorial debut.

Power Rangers is a weird property and I’m interested to see what Stentz and Miller’s take on the material entails. They definitely proved to be adept at handling reboots of sorts with First Class, so hopefully they’re planning an interesting spin on the Power Rangers. Now, who are they gonna get to direct this thing?

Interesting.. Wondering who the director will be?
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Roberto Orci Talks Power Rangers Reboot, Reveals Film Has Continuity

Last week it was revealed that Star Trek and The Amazing Spider-Man screenwriter Roberto Orci was stepping onboard Lionsgate’s big screen reboot of Saban’s Power Rangers. He will develop the plot for the film along with X-Men: First Class screenwriters Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz. IGN caught up with Orci to talk about the project and he revealed some interesting behind-the-scenes bits about working with Saban.

“One of the first things we did was learn and read…They have 600 pages of research that they have on their stuff. We read through the synopsis of everything they did and we are actually taking into account quite a bit of the canon in a real way. We’re not just a leave it behind reboot. [Haim] Saban cares very much about that. This is something that he created. I had to go to his house, personally, to tell him, “Listen, I’m your man. Miller and Stenz, these are your guys. I promise you I won’t ruin your franchise.” And he said, “It’s very important to me, because kids around the world know what the Power Rangers are. So you can’t just come in here and walk all over it. It better be consistent with what I’ve been doing.” And I said, “Yes sir!”

Orci went on to add that the upcoming reboot will have some form of continuity with the original series, but in what capacity he wouldn’t say.

“It’s got a continuity within the world. I can’t tell you what, but it does have a continuity.”

Saban launched “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” as a live-action TV series more than 20 years ago, and the series has been in continuous production ever since. It has subsequently grown into one of the world’s most popular and recognizable brands, with toys, apparel, costumes, video games, DVD’s, comic books and other merchandise.

20th Century Fox previously released two feature films, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie in 1995 and Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie in 1997.

hehe.. Jason David Frank might be back as Tommy Oliver (Green/White Ranger) after all! Unofficially I'm calling this film "MMPR 3" because this might be a soft reboot like X-Men and T5. 8-) Looks like I have to dust off my VHS of the first two films and start getting reacquainted with the series again.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 am
Comic-Con interview with Jason David Frank (Green/White ranger Tommy Oliver):

It's confirmed there's continuity from MMPR so he'll be in the film for sure.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:14 am
Superhero Hype wrote:Power Rangers Hits the Big Screen July 22, 2016!

Following their announcement of the project in May, Lionsgate and Saban have officially set Power Rangers for release on July 22, 2016! There, it will open opposite Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur.

"Based on a story by executive producer Roberto Orci (The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Star Trek Into Darkness) and screenwriters Zack Stentz and Ashley Miller (X-Men: First Class, Thor) comes a modern reinvention of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of ordinary high school kids who find themselves infused with extraterrestrial powers and must harness those powers as a team to save the world."

Saban’s “Power Rangers” franchise is the brainchild of Haim Saban, creator and producer of the original “Mighty Morphin Power Rangers” hit series that launched in 1993. Following its introduction, “Power Rangers” quickly became the most-watched children’s television program in the United States and remains one of the top-rated and longest running boys live-action series in television history. The series follows the adventures of a group of ordinary teens who “morph” into superheroes and save the world from evil. It is seen in more than 150 markets around the world, translated into numerous languages and is a mainstay in the most prominent international children’s programming blocks.

Other producers on the project include Haim Saban, Brian Casentini and Allison Shearmur.
Next

Return to Movies