The Hateful Eight (Quentin Tarantino)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:53 pm
Collider wrote:Quentin Tarantino Eyeing Bruce Dern and Christoph Waltz for Western THE HATEFUL EIGHT

It appears that we may have a new Quentin Tarantino film to look forward to sooner rather than later. Just before the holidays, Tarantino revealed that his follow-up to Django Unchained would be another Western, adding, “I had so much fun doing Django, and I love Westerns so much that after I taught myself how to make one, it’s like ‘OK! Let me make another one now that I know what I’m doing.” While the filmmaker didn’t add anymore details about the project other than the fact that he was in the process of writing the screenplay, it appears that he’s close enough to finishing the script that he’s now showing it to a handful of actors that he wants for the lead roles. Titled The Hateful Eight, Tarantino is reportedly eyeing regular collaborator Christoph Waltz and veteran actor Bruce Dern for to star in his next film.

Though we are still a little ways from Tarantino’s next pic actually firming up, Deadline reports that the pic has a working title of The Hateful Eight (how fantastic is that?) and the writer/director has two actors in mind for roles right now: Christoph Waltz and Bruce Dern. Tarantino has worked with Waltz on his last two pictures, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained, netting Waltz Best Supporting Actor Oscars for both roles in the process, so news of the actor’s possible involvement isn’t altogether surprising. However, the prospect of Bruce Dern leading a Quentin Tarantino Western is very exciting.

Dern has been making the awards circuit rounds over the past few months for his excellent work in Alexander Payne’s latest pic Nebraska, and the 77-year-old actor seems all but poised to land a Best Actor Oscar nomination come next week. Tarantino’s script isn’t finalized just yet, as he likes to take a solid draft out to his actors first and then take another pass before moving forward into pre-production, so filming on The Hateful Eight likely wouldn’t get underway until late this year. There’s also no guarantee that Dern and Waltz will absolutely be starring in the pic, but they are definitely promising possibilities.

Hopefully we hear more soon, but right now it’s looking like we might have a new Quentin Tarantino movie to add to the insane 2015 release calendar—or maybe even Fall 2014 if he’s feeling as ambitious as he was with Django, as THR says filming is likely to begin this summer.

Django was awesome and Quentin's films are amazing as usual so hopefully this should be great too. 8-)
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:19 pm
Collider wrote:Quentin Tarantino Puts THE HATEFUL EIGHT Aside after Script Leak; Considers Publishing a Book Version

In a strange turn of events, a little more than a week after announcing that Quentin Tarantino would be making the Western The Hateful Eight his next picture, he’s now thinking about shelving it. Literally. He’s considering publishing the story first and then possibly revisiting it as a film some time in the next five years. Why? Well, it seems that a copy of the script sent out to a small circle of actors has been leaked, and Tarantino is so distraught over that fact that he’s thinking about scrapping production plans.

Deadline reports that Tarantino may turn The Hateful Eight into a book before adapting it for a film, in part because of an inner circle betrayal. Here’s Tarantino’s reaction:

“I’m very, very depressed. I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn’t mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now. I gave it to six people, and apparently it’s gotten out today … I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it. That’s a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn’t end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn’t do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don’t know how these loving agents work, but I’m not making this next. I’m going to publish it, and that’s it for now. I give it out to six people and if I can’t trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it. I’ll publish it. I’m done. I’ll move on to the next thing. I’ve got ten more where that came from.”

You’d think maybe Tarantino would want to channel his reaction to this betrayal into a presumably vengeful film, if the title is any indication, but who am I to tell him what to do. He did say he’d likely write a big part for Bruce Dern for his next film, which was one of two (including The Hateful Eight) that have been on his mind recently. He didn’t give any details on that project (obviously), but The Wrap may have a lead on Tarantino’s next film, saying:

Tarantino has been considering a prison movie of sorts and has immersed himself in the details of the Robert Blake case, though a representative for Blake told TheWrap several weeks ago that Tarantino has not reached out to the former “Baretta” star, who was acquitted of killing his wife.

In the meantime, Tarantino is focused on finding out the source of the leak:

“I hadn’t given it to Christoph, I haven’t given it to Sam Jackson. I gave it to three motherfucking actors. We met in a place and I put it in their hands. Reggie Hudlin’s agent never had a copy. It’s got to be either the agents of Dern or Madsen. Please name names.”

And should you eventually find a copy of his script online, here’s what the iconic director has to say about that:

“I am not talking out of both sides of my mouth, because I do like the fact that everyone eventually posts it, gets it and reviews it on the net. Frankly, I wouldn’t want it any other way. I like the fact that people like my crap, and that they go out of their way to find it and read it. But I gave it to six motherfucking people! Starting this week, I’ll be setting meetings with publishers.”

Though it sounds like you won’t see it in theaters any time soon, it’s likely that you’ll be able to pick it up in book form before long.

Just sad... :|
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:17 pm
Collider wrote:Quentin Tarantino’s THE HATEFUL EIGHT to Start Shooting This November; Cast Announced

Filmmaker Quentin Tarantino’s Western The Hateful Eight has gone through a bit of a whirlwind when it comes to its development. Earlier this year, it was announced that Tarantino was planning another Western as his follow-up to Django Unchained, a film called The Hateful Eight that would potentially be toplined by Bruce Dern and Christoph Waltz. Just a little over a week later, Tarantino’s full script was leaked and published online, offending the filmmaker and leading him to say that he was putting the project aside and might instead just publish the finished screenplay when it’s done.

Fast forward to a few days ago at the Cannes Film Festival where Tarantino was screening Pulp Fiction for its 20th anniversary, and the director admitted that he had “calmed down” a bit re: The Hateful Eight after a live read of the script, adding that he was in the midst of finishing the second draft and intended to do a third draft. Well now it looks like Hateful Eight might be QT’s next flim after all, as a new report corroborates earlier claims that the pic will go before cameras this November.

Per Showbiz 411, Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful Eight will begin production this November in Wyoming. The report adds that all of the actors who participated in the recent live read of the script—Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Madsen, Kurt Russell, James Remar, Amber Tamblyn, Walton Goggins, and Zoe Bell—will star in the film, but sadly Christoph Waltz will not be a part of the cast. Tim Roth also participated in the live read, but he is not mentioned in this report. It may simply be an oversight or maybe he’s just not in the film; it’s unclear.

This is a fortunate turn of events, as everyone was rather dismayed to hear that Tarantino was putting this project back on the shelf after the script leak. The story of The Hateful Eight takes place in post-Civil War Wyoming and tells the story of a small group of stagecoach passengers who are stranded during a blizzard. A large chunk of the film takes place in a bar, and the characters include a couple of bounty hunters (Jackson and Russell), a Confederate general (Dern), a cowboy (Madsen), a transplanted Englishman (Roth), a soldier (Goggins), and a female prisoner (Tamblyn).

With an eclectic cast and a dialogue-heavy premise, this project certainly sounds like it’s right up Tarantino’s alley, and I’m enthused to hear that it’s back on track.

Awesome, glad it's happening now. 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Quentin Tarantino to Shoot "The Hateful Eight" Early Next Year

Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained) was planning to make "The Hateful Eight" western film be his next project, but when he started pitching it to actors, one of those actors ended up leaking the script online.

The helmer responded by immediately dropping the movie and go on a mission to not only find out who leaked the script, but also sue anyone involved with spreading it online.

Then came news that Tarantino was planning to rewrite the script and once again attempt to make the movie. He even had a live read of the script's first draft earlier this year.

One of the actor who took part in that live read was Kurt Russell, who just confirmed that Tarantino is definitely turning "The Hateful Eight" into a film and that he'll have a starring role in it.

"I've got a Tarantino project called 'The Hateful Eight' that looks like it may go somewhere around the beginning of the year," said the actor.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,540.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:05 pm
1st Trailer, the movie will have more widescreen too. instead of the 2:35/2:40 we get this will have 2:70 I think.

QT has reunited with quite a few of his cast members from other movies of his.

wasn't blown away by the trailer though.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 pm
New Trailer -

not overly excited but looks ok.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:07 pm
saw this a few days ago, really enjoyed it.

it's a very dialogue driven movie, slow moving as his movies can be. it is basically The Thing meets Reservior Dogs. set in one place, surrounded by snow, with any one of the people inside being a bad guy but not knowing who with lots of finger pointing. much like The Thing with someone being an alien, and Reservoir with an undercover cop. I didn't think about that while watching but when I read some IMDB trivia it blew my mind and made it better!

all the cast were great, especially Kurt Russell and Sam Jackson. violence wasn't as bloody as Django, although this got a R rating while Django got a MA. Hateful 8 was more realistic, but still pretty violent at times. all the violence happened in the second half and if it wasn't for that this would have a M rating.

good to see Michael Madsen and Tim Roth back, hope QT's next movies involve other actors he's only worked with once or twice like Travolta or Willis. I'm not a huge fan of Django, I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds more then Django but enjoyed this more than both.

Movie:

This movie was rated 4.0 stars out of 5
Cash on hand: 13,735.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:57 am
I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I really liked it.

Return to Movies