War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 27,190.00
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:28 pm
TMT wrote:Matt Reeves Will Helm 'Planet of the Apes 3'; Damn That Was Fast

Matt Reeves (Let Me In, CLOVERFIELD) will apparently be directing the follow up to his own film, this summer's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Deadline has reported.

This news comes after (apparently REALLY positive) early screenings of the film, and 20th Fox was apparently REALLY seeing dollar signs, as it's expected Reeves will begin production immediately, although this time Reeves will go on with Mark Bomback, not bringing Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa (Jurassic World, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) along with them.

Bomback also co-wrote Dawn, as well as this summer's 50 Shades of Grey, The Wolverine, and Total Recall.
The deal is apparently locked, and no release date or title has been dropped; but hell, I'd wager $50 that Battle of the Rise of the Conquest of the Planet of the Apes will probably drop with a Summer '16 release.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes hits theaters July 11, coming off of 2011's surprising pre-boot of the franchise, which went on to gross $482 Millon, and stars Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, and Andy Serkis as Caesar in a story that follows the remaining humans in and uneasy truce with Caesar's followers after the Simian Flu has wiped out more than half of Earth's population.

Awesome! 8-) I'm guessing we're heading towards the far future now. 'Rise' was 'Conquest' and this year's 'Dawn' is undoubtedly 'Battle' so hopefully the title should stay the same. Who's going to be Astronaut George Taylor (Heston), my bet is on Christian Bale. And is Andy Serkis going to stay on as the ape 'Cornelius'? Or maybe we'll get an in between film... :ugeek:

Last edited by Kal on Sun May 17, 2015 1:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:35 pm
Collider wrote:PLANET OF THE APES Sequel Set for July 29, 2016

20th Century Fox will release the untitled Planet of the Apes sequel on July 29, 2016. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves returns to take the helm.

Man... Just noticed how this decade is flying by... :shock:
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 am
So far it looks like the third 'Apes' film will be just called 'Planet of the Apes'. This one will most likely be set in the far future with a certain spaceship returning to Earth! Here's the promo for it:

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:54 pm
Worst Previews wrote:"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" Sequel Will NOT Focus on Events in Original 1968 Film

After watching "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes," many see a way that director Matt Reeves can connect the current franchise to the original 1968 film, "Planet of the Apes."

But Reeves isn't interested in simply moving toward the original movie. He would much rather examine other stories that take place prior to it and see where Caesar and his descendants end up.

"I think some people assume that we're going to get back to the '68 film, like, next. And actually... no," he said. "People have asked me, 'Isn't it boring, because you know how it's going to end?' And I say that's the best part about it. How do we get from here to there?"

Reeves continued: "It could be many movies. I think there are a lot of interesting stories that come, not only from Caesar, but from what comes after Caesar, his children, and his children's children. What happens when humans return? All of those stories... it's so rich. And I think that it's so cool that we know how it ends without knowing how we get there. Because that becomes the fuel for these stories. So it's not going to be next, for sure. We are going to take a while to get there."

Reeves is already signed on to return for the third "Apes" movie, which is set to hit theaters on July 29th, 2016.

Okay. Looks like I was wrong but I think we might have a trilogy of how we got to where 1968 film takes place and a trilogy for the aftermath. Makes sense if that is the direction they're taking.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 16,810.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 am
with how the ending of Dawn turned out, it'll be very interesting how the next turns out!
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 pm
Hollywood Reporter wrote:'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' Writers on Sequel Plans, 'Hard' Choices (Q&A)

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is hitting theaters to rave reviews and a sunny box-office forecast, so it's only natural its writers are thinking about the franchise's future.

For those familiar with the original series, it's not much of a spoiler to reveal that the rebooted series is headed toward apes ruling the Earth. But screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver say there's plenty of story to explore before that point.

Here, the duo talk about being blown away by Andy Serkis' performance and the controversial choice they had to convince the studio was the right move.

You already had written the 2011 reboot, Rise of the Planet of the Apes. What were your biggest challenges this time around?

Amanda Silver: We wanted to provide something new that was special and not sort of a rehash of the first movie. We also really had to figure out how far ahead to jump in time. There were a lot of variables regarding when to pick up with Caesar's story.

Rick Jaffa: When you see the movie, the time jump might seem natural, but at the beginning, there were a lot of different ideas tossed about of when do we start the next film.

A lot of the movie involves sign language. What were the conversations like when deciding to do that?

Jaffa: That really was the next big issue — how far have the apes evolved? Everyone agreed they can't have evolved to where they are all speaking the Queen's English, or even some horrible version of a Western from the '50s where Native Americans spoke in very broken English. Ideas went everywhere from having only Caesar talk to having all of them being able to talk.

How did you finally decide what you did?

Jaffa: Going back to the original movie, Amanda and I did a ton of research about apes and sign language and how apes not only can learn sign language from humans, but that there are documented cases where apes taught each other sign language. That was a pretty hard sell to the studio at first. But the fact that these apes would have elevated intelligence due to the drugs and the virus — then you can make that leap. I think the audience is ready to make that leap too.

Silver: There's the need to make the storytelling muscular and visual — that you are telling a lot through action. You realize we're not writing a movie where apes are going to be discussing things rapidly back and forth. They are going to be acting, and you set up situations where there is a lot of communication going on without words. It is a fun challenge, and it's a great way to tell a story.

When writing the first film, did you worry that the apes would look good onscreen?

Silver: We were terrified! The whole movie hinges on the audience rooting for Caesar and by extension his ape friends. We had written this intimate, emotional story, and we had no idea how it was going to be translated to screen. When we first pitched the story in 2006, the technology hadn't been invented yet. Luckily James Cameron and WETA figured that stuff out.

And you got an amazing performance from Andy Serkis.

Silver: WETA suggested Andy Serkis, and he was the greatest gift ever. He has this amazing ability to externalize his emotions. He plays Caesar from age 2 to all the way through. It wasn't until six months later we were able to really see the visceral performance Andy had laid down and WETA had captured.

Jaffa: We all jumped out of our chairs. We had seen two or three cuts of the film already with Andy and the other actors in their gray leotards. You get used to that and think "OK, this is the film." Then those shots start coming in. On Dawn, the first shots we saw were of Maurice the orangutan (Karin Konoval), and he's in the rain. We literally gasped because it's not just this incredible capture of the performance but his fur is matted. There are drops of water dripping off his nose. It's breathtaking.

Silver: I didn't know it was possible to be better than the first — they were such geniuses the first time — but this one is even better.
From the original movies, we know the apes eventually take over. How do you keep it interesting despite audiences knowing the endgame?

Jaffa: The intention was to make a science-fact movie as opposed to a purely science fiction movie. What elements of the world today can we line up so that if the dominoes were to tip over just right, Colonel Taylor (Charlton Heston) would wind up on that beach in the year 3900 — or whatever it was. We do know where it ends up, so the fun we want to have is what happens between now and then.

Silver: How do we get there?

Jaffa: There are a lot of ways to skin that cat. In terms of the endgame, there's a long time between now and when everything needs to be figured out.

Silver: It's like with cable TV, we can do a slow burn. There's no need to tell the story with these big wide chunks. We can slow down and tell more intimate character pieces. Caesar and the characters around Caesar are particularly compelling, so maybe we slow down and spend some time with them before we jump a thousand years in the future. We'll see. It's a very juicy opportunity.

Have you had discussions about a third film?

Jaffa: There haven't been formal discussions with the creative group, but Amanda and I definitely have thoughts, and I'm sure (director) Matt (Reeves) has thoughts and (screenwriter) Mark Bomback, who we share a credit with on Dawn, and our producers.

What was your favorite scene to write?

Jaffa: There are quiet moments between the apes in the beginning that is just about character. There's one with Caesar and Maurice and the boy Alexander (Kodi Smit-McPhee), and that's a quiet moment of connection between an ape and a human.

Silver: My favorite scene is when Koba (Toby Kebbell) points out to Caesar what human work has done to him. It's created quite a few scars on Koba's body, and I loved exploring the brotherhood between Koba and Caesar.

The trajectory for this version of "Planet of the Apes" is to head to the first film with "Charlton Heston", that's the only continuity to the original series. So this third film could end with us Humans launching a nuclear attack as a last ditch effort to eradicate the apes but it goes terribly wrong. Caesar will definitely be in this film but the 4th film may have a time jump. ;)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:57 am
Superhero Hype wrote:Matt Reeves Teases Andy Serkis’ Caesar as an ‘Ape Moses’ in the Next Planet of the Apes

Acclaimed by audiences and critics alike, Matt Reeves’ Dawn of the Planet of the Apes recently passed $700 million at the worldwide box office and is now positioning leading man Andy Serkis for a potential Academy Award nomination for his role as Caesar. With the science fiction epic set to hit Blu-ray and DVD on December 2, ComingSoon.net caught up with the cast and crew. We’ll be bringing you the full video interviews soon, but here’s what Reeves announced regarding the next chapter in the franchise, currently planned for release on July 29, 2016.

“The first one is sort of how [Caesar] goes from humble beginnings to becoming a revolutionary,” says Reeves. “In ‘Dawn,’ he really rose to occasion of becoming a leader in really challenging and difficult times. The notion of what we’re after with the third is to sort of continue that trajectory and see how he becomes a seminal figure in ape history. He almost becomes sort of like an ape Moses. A mythic status… We’re trying to play out those themes and continue to sort of explore it in this universe. Exploring human nature under the guise of apes.”

Reeves also explained that Serkis’ “outsider” take on Caesar is of vital importance to the arc of the character and is something that will certainly carry over to the third big screen chapter (or ninth, depending on your point of view).

“A thing I always found very moving was the concept of a character that was [an outsider],” Reeves adds. “Andy [Serkis] told me the way he played him and the thing that really moved me was that [Caesar] was really all about being an outsider. [He] said that [he] felt [he] was human until the one day it was made clear that that [he isn't]. [He] said it felt like heartbreak. Like, ‘Oh, I’m not one of them!’ Then he’s thrown in with the apes, but he’s not one of them either. He’s an outsider to both. That was very moving to me because he’s an outsider to both but connected to both. He is the unique character in this story to be able to connect between the human and the ape world.”

Check back soon for our full video interviews and, in the meantime, be sure to check out our just-published list of The 10 Best Motion Capture Performances.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:58 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Fox Dates Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Sequel

The third Untitled Planet of the Apes Movie, the sequel to last summer’s major blockbuster Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, was moved to July 14, 2017, giving them another year to work on that.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 am
our first look -

loved the first 2, this looks really good too!

these come out every 3 years.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:39 pm
2nd Trailer -

Return to Movies