Star Trek 3: Beyond (2016)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 am
Collider wrote:STAR TREK 3 Brings Oscar Winner Claudio Miranda Aboard as Cinematographer, Will Shoot in Vancouver and Seoul

Now that we’re done, at least for a while, with the whole William Shatner cameo saga, we have some actual facts to report regarding Star Trek 3. First of all, while the upcoming sequel will mostly be shot in Vancouver, British Columbia, some of it will in fact be lensed in Seoul, South Korea. And it looks like Oscar winning cinematographer Claudio Miranda (Life of Pi, TRON: Legacy) will be joining writer/director Roberto Orci behind the camera.

This marks the first time a Star Trek movie has ever been shot digitally.

According to TrekMovie Miranda will replace prior Trek lenser Daniel Mindel, who is currently shooting Star Wars: Episode VII with director J.J. Abrams:

"Unlike Star Trek Into Darkness, which retained most of the behind-the-scenes team from the 2009 Star Trek movie, Roberto Orci’s 2016 Star Trek film will feature some new faces. Part of this is Bob putting his signature on the film and part of it is due to how some of the people who worked the last two Trek films are working with JJ Abrams on Star Wars: Episode VII."

TrekMovie also goes on to mention that some of the film will be shot in Seoul, South Korea (while maintaining a base in the more traditional shooting city of Vancouver). Seoul Mayor Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon confirmed this on his Facebook page.

“Today I met with Jeffrey Chernov, producer of Star Trek 3, at the Paramount Pictures Studio and agreed to film a portion of the upcoming movie in Seoul.”

None of this is really earth shattering, but it’s interesting that the new Trek film will likely look a bit different than the last two as Orci seeks to put his stamp on it.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 am
Collider wrote:William Shatner’s STAR TREK 3 Cameo Will Place Him in Familiar Company

Just when we thought William Shatner-gate was over… they pull me back in. For the past few weeks there have been whispers, an unconvincing denial, and then some soft confirmation that Shatner’s cameo Star Trek 3 was coming together after being left out of the first two films in J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot franchise reboot. And now we have what seems to be some solid details on the scene itself.

I don’t actually consider this information to be super-spoilery at all, but out of sensitivity to you guys and fans of the franchise, I’ve decided to be vague about the nature of this thing in these opening paragraphs, so if you want the full story you’ll have to head below.

Per Devin Faraci at Badass Digest, Shatner will share the screen with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, which should make for an interesting convergence of old and new:

"My sources are now telling me that not only will Shatner be in the movie, his scene will have him meeting Chris Pine. Also in that scene: Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy. But if my sources are steering me correct this won’t be original timeline Spock – it’ll be future alt-timeline Kirk and Spock. Basically the scene will have Kirk and Spock interacting with their future selves."

Faraci pretty much always has reliable sources, so I wouldn’t waste too much time wondering about the veracity of this. I have no idea what it actually means though, since I’m sort of confused on the alternate timeline “rules” as laid out by Abrams’ first two films. Maybe some helpful readers will clear this up for me in the comments.

Sounds like time travel and possibly repairing the timeline back to how it should be. The prime timeline. I wonder if Alt-Picard of the TNG crew is making this happen.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:13 am
Superhero Hype wrote:Breaking: Bob Orci Removed from Star Trek 3; Edgar Wright Rumored as Potential Replacement!

Although he was confirmed for the director’s chair this past summer, Bob Orci will no longer direct the upcoming, still unofficially titled, Star Trek 3 (or 13, depending on your personal understanding of temporal dynamics). What’s more, Deadline brings word that, among the potential replacements on Paramount Pictures’ short list, is none other than Shaun of the Dead and The World’s End helmer Edgar Wright!

There’s no word yet on the reason for Orci’s departure and it is still believed that the film will move forward with the same screenplay, scripted by Orci, Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne. Although a release date has not been specified, it is widely believed that the plan is for the film to hit theaters in 2016, as the year marks the 50th anniversary of the “Star Trek” franchise.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana and John Cho are all expected to reprise their roles as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701. Plot details have not yet been revealed, although Orci stated earlier this year that his plan was to set the action in deep space, unlike the relatively Earth-centric J.J. Abrams films.

Shocking. Wonder what happened? Good news anyway! :shock:

There's word that Paramount hated the script and shut down production a month ago. Orci was fired today.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Justin Lin to Direct Star Trek 3!

Paramount has, according to Deadline, set four-time The Fast and the Furious franchise helmer Justin Lin to direct the upcoming Star Trek 3 (or 13 depending on your point of view). The new arrives nearly three weeks after word first broke that Roberto Orci would not be taking the director’s chair.

Lin’s credits also include his indie debut Better Luck Tomorrow (which he retconned into a The Fast and the Furious prequel of sorts), the Naval drama Annapolis and several key episodes of Dan Harmon’s “Community”. He’ll also be directing the first two episode of “True Detective” season two.

Although a release date has not been specified, it is widely believed that the plan is for the film to hit theaters in 2016, as the year marks the 50th anniversary of the “Star Trek” franchise.

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana and John Cho are all expected to reprise their roles as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Plot details have not yet been revealed, although Orci stated earlier this year that his plan was to set the action in deep space, unlike the relatively Earth-centric J.J. Abrams films. There is no word currently on whether the film will move forward with the same screenplay scripted by Orci, Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne or seek a new draft.

Cool I suppose.. Star Trek will be fast and furious that's for sure. :lol:
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:40 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Roberto Orci Will No Longer Write Star Trek 3

Looks like rumors that concerns over Roberto Orci’s script were central to his vacating the director’s chair on Star Trek 3 may be accurate, as Orci himself all-but-confirmed on TrekMovie‘s message boards.

“I’m producing, [nothing] more or less,” Orci states bluntly about his current role on the project, which means that his original involvement in drafting the screenplay with Patrick McKay and John D. Payne is over.

Moreover, it sounds like Orci’s enthusiasm for the film now that Fast and Furious helmer Justin Lin has taken the reigns may be tenuous at best, as a commenter asks him if fans who supported his vision for the franchise should boycott the film.

“I won’t lie, I don’t know yet, but the story we are talking about would be awesome, hang in there!” Orci writes.

Of course, Orci’s direct online contact with Trek fans have earned him both admiration and ire within that community, and even as he relinquishes control of the U.S.S. Enterprise, it hasn’t stopped him from defending his decision to create an alternate timeline for Kirk & Co.

“Stop blaming [Bad Robot],” says Orci. “It was my idea so that you would not know what was gonna happen next. Nothing more or less. I stand behind it. And it, again, is the reason why I make movies and you don’t.”

Orci may get to make movies, but how Star Trek 3 will get made by its targeted July 8, 2016 release date if the filmmakers are still negotiating the minutiae of the story remains a mystery. As another starship captain once said, “Make it so.”

Paramount Pictures’ currently untitled Star Trek 3 is expected to star Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana and John Cho as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701.

We're heading for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek so I'm expecting the alternate timeline to be corrected and a cameo from William Shatner along with Leonard Nemoy and Patrick Stewart to occur. Once that is done the series can go back to TV where it belongs and continue with 25th century Trek.

If it can be done with X-Men then why not Trek?

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Simon Pegg is Co-Writing Star Trek 3

Simon Pegg, who played Scotty in the last two “Star Trek” films, is taking on a second task for the third installment – screenwriter. According to Deadline, Pegg has been set to co-write Star Trek 3, which will be directed by “Fast & Furious” helmer Justin Lin. This is following the news from December that Roberto Orci would no longer be writing the Paramount/Skydance film. Pegg is co-writing the script with Doug Jung (“Dark Blue,” “Banshee”), says The Hollywood Reporter‘s Borys Kit.

Pegg will also reprise his role as Scotty, of course, reteaming with Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, and Zoe Saldana as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. J.J. Abrams, who directed the last two films, is producing this time around.

Pegg has previously written the Edgar Wright-directed Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World’s End, as well as the comedies Run, Fatboy, Run and Paul.

Paramount Pictures has Star Trek 3 scheduled for a July 8, 2016 release, which coincides with the 50th anniversary of the “Star Trek” franchise.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 pm
Collider wrote:J.J. Abrams Talks STAR TREK 3

...with Simon Pegg recently signing on to co-write the next Star Trek movie, Steve asked Abrams (who is producing the sequel) how that development came about:

“[Pegg] and I had talked quite a bit about story, he had a lot of wonderful ideas. It just sort of felt obvious that he would be a wonderful person to work on the story and help craft the story, so he’s working on it.”

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:59 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Idris Elba in Talks to Play the Star Trek 3 Villain

Variety reports that “Luther” and Thor star Idris Elba is in early talks for the lead villain role in the upcoming Star Trek 3, though details on who the character might be are being kept under wraps.

The film features the return of Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Anton Yelchin, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg and Zoe Saldana as the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise. J.J. Abrams, who directed the last two films, is producing the third film in the rebooted franchise. Justin Lin is set to direct from a script by Doug Jung and Simon Pegg.

Paramount Pictures has Star Trek 3 scheduled for a July 8, 2016 release, which coincides with the 50th Anniversary of the “Star Trek” franchise.

Elba can next be seen in Avengers: Age of Ultron, which he personally confirmed he has a part in, as well as Cary Fukunaga’s Beasts of No Nation on Netflix later this year and as the voice of Shere Khan in Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book on April 15, 2016.

Klingon. "Commander Kor". Pretty sure. From an episode of the 1st season of the original series "Errand of Mercy" which may be the basis for this film. ;)
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,535.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 pm
First Trailer -

not a fan, but looks ok.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:36 pm
Heh. Looks like everyone should be dead 10 times.
Luckily that's not how these movies work. :D
PreviousNext

Return to Movies