Star Trek 3: Beyond (2016)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
User avatar
Oscar Nominee
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm
Worst Previews wrote:"Star Trek 3" Planned for 2016

Producer Bryan Burk admitted that there are already talks about the third "Star Trek" installment. "We're definitely talking about the next one," he said. "We don't wait to wait four years, the same amount of time between the last one and this one. [We're talking about releasing 'Star Trek 3' in 2016]. It's going to be a big year to celebrate."

2016 will mark the 50th anniversary of the franchise and Paramount Pictures would love to wrap up the new trilogy by then. Unfortunately JJ Abrams won't return to direct, but he'll still be involved as a producer.
Image
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 am
Worst Previews wrote:"Star Trek 3" Hires Writers, Search For Director Continues

Paramount Pictures is currently working on the third "Star Trek" film and has now hired JD Payne and Patrick McKay to write the script. Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the first two installments with his partner Alex Kurtzman, will return.

JJ Abrams directed the first two movies, but has since moved on to "Star Wars: Episode VII." He'll still stay on as a producer and will help find a new director. One of the candidates seems to be Joe Cornish (Attack the Block).

Payne and McKay don't have any credits to their names, but have a relationship with Abrams. The duo wrote the script for "Boilerplate," which is based on a graphic novel.
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:09 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Roberto Orci Wants to Direct the Next Star Trek Film

Although Attack the Block helmer Joe Cornish's name has been said to be in the running for the gig, Variety today reports that writer/producer Roberto Orci is after the director's chair on the upcoming thirteenth Star Trek feature film. The trade adds that Orci has the full support of Bad Robot, but that Paramount Pictures isn't necessarily sold on someone without big screen directing experience.

Orci is nevertheless splitting creatively from his former writing and producing partner Alex Kurtzman, who himself is slated to helm Sony Pictures' Venom. Kurtzman, who will continue to produce but not write along Orci, previously directed the indie drama People Like Us, which Orci co-scripted.

There's no announced timeframe for the next Star Trek film as of yet, but the franchise will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2016. If the plan is to have a film in theaters to tie into the occasion, a director is likely to be confirmed in the very near future.

I hope not. :|
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Roberto Orci Confirmed to Direct 13th Star Trek Feature

It appears to be official. Following a recent report that he was after the job, Variety is reporting that Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness screenwriter/producer Roberto Orci will direct the 13th franchise feature. Orci is joined on the project by screenwriters Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, who will help him pen the next adventure of the Enterprise crew.

There's no announced timeframe for the next Star Trek film as of yet, but the franchise will be celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2016. If the plan is to have a film in theaters to tie into the occasion, expect official announcements on the film in the very near future.

Ah FRELL. Star Trek is going to go in a bad direction now... :evil:
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 pm
Collider wrote:STAR TREK 3 Set in Deep Space, Says Director Roberto Orci

Star Trek Into Darkness ended with the USS Enterprise setting off on a five-year exploratory mission, right where the original 1960s series started. Roberto Orci, who graduated to Star Trek 3 director after co-writing Star Trek and Into Darkness, teased where the sequel will take the crew:

“They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space.”

Orci said on the Humans from Earth podcast [via Badass Digest]:

"In [Into Darkness] they set out finally where the original series started. The first two films – especially the 2009 [Star Trek] – was an origin story. It was about them coming together. So they weren’t the characters they were in the original series. They were growing into them and that continues on in the second movie. So in this movie they are closer than they are to the original series characters that you have ever seen. They have set off on their five-year mission. So their adventure is going to be in deep space."

Star Trek fans—are you excited about the prospect of getting closer to the original series roots (at least in theory) and heading to deep space in 2016?

Good, we're now heading into the first season of TOS. I do hope that one day a director will come in and bring us back to the original timeline.. Oh well.
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:51 am
Superhero Hype wrote:Simon Pegg Talks Roberto Orci Directing Star Trek 3

Back in May it was revealed that screenwriter Roberto Orci would direct the upcoming third (or thirteenth, depending on your view) Star Trek film, taking the reins from director J.J. Abrams, who helmed 2009′s Star Trek and 2013′s Star Trek Into Darkness. Speaking with the BBC, cast member Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty in the new series, spoke about Orci stepping in for the third film, saying it makes “perfect sense.”

“I’m really happy he’s doing it as it’s kept within the family kind of thing, it’s not somebody coming in from outside. Bob’s been there since the first Star Trek – by that I mean the 2009 one – so it seemed to make perfect sense that he come in as a director on this one because he gets it. He was always the most Trekkie of all of those guys anyway, he’s always understood the story the best so it’s great that he’s going to be involved in the writing and directing.”

Pegg also confirmed that, despite directing the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, he expects J.J. Abrams to remain on board the project in some capacity.

“I don’t think JJ would be able to let it completely go because that’s not in his nature.”

Orci is joined on the project by screenwriters Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, who are helping him pen the next adventure of the Enterprise crew.

The expectation is that Star Trek 3 will land in theaters in 2016, just in time for the franchise’s 50th anniversary. At the moment, however, no release date has been set.
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 pm
Collider wrote:Roberto Orci Says First Draft of the STAR TREK 3 Script Is Complete

Development continues to move forward on Star Trek 3 while J.J. Abrams is off in a galaxy far, far away, and a status update has surfaced from writer/producer/likely director Roberto Orci. It was reported a few months ago that Orci, who was a screenwriter and producer on both Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, was in negotiations to take over the director’s chair on Star Trek 3. He subsequently told us that it wasn’t exactly a done deal just yet, adding that Paramount had yet to see the script. In these ensuing months, Orci has been working to craft the Star Trek 3 script with writers John D. Payne and Patrick McKay, and this weekend Orci announced that the trio has now completed the first draft.

Orci waded into the comments section over at TrekMovie on Saturday to provide a status update on Star Trek 3:

"p & m & I wrote, “fade out” yesterday on first draft. things are moving."

He subsequently confirmed that yes, the first draft of Star Trek 3 is done. Now Paramount will take a look at the script, offer notes, and things will move forward from there. Orci previously told us that he didn’t wasn’t signed on to Trek 3 just yet, explaining that it’s dependent upon how Paramount responds to the script:

“If I’m lucky enough that Paramount loves the script and that we go forward, it’ll be because I have loved Star Trek for so long and the idea of having seen one of the best guys in the business direct two of them already, and to have seen it from the vantage point of a producer too, I know where a lot of the challenges are and where a lot of the fun is.”

Of course, Orci and his ex-writing partner Alex Kurtzman have a reputation for being two of the most studio-friendly screenwriters in the business, so I have a feeling that Paramount will like Orci’s screenplay just fine. It’s clear that the studio would like to release Trek 3 to coincide with the series’ 50th anniversary, and with the first draft now complete, things seem to be on track for filming to get underway sometime next year.
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm
Collider wrote:STAR TREK 3 Might Include William Shatner… If He Decides to Show Up

I remember the friction between William Shatner and J.J. Abrams before the release of Star Trek reboot in 2009. If I recall, there were some awkward exchanges (and even videos) bandied about regarding Shatner’s displeasure with his cameo being cut. For whatever reason he didn’t appear in Star Trek Into Darkness either, but now there’s a sliver of hope to confuse the timeline even more in Star Trek 3.

Apparently writer/potential director Roberto Orci has written a part for him in the script (with the help of co-writers John D. Payne and Patrick McKay). We already know that this Star Trek movie will actually take place in deep space (as opposed to San Francisco/the CAA courtyard) so it’s possibly the good news could keep rolling in.

Per Devin Faraci at Badass Digest:

“I have learned that the script for Star Trek 3 includes a scene that reteams Shatner and Nimoy onscreen as Kirk and Spock for the first time in canon since 1991′s Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. It would be a pretty huge moment for fans of the franchise, and likely the last time we’ll ever see Shatner as James T. Kirk in official continuity. “

Faraci, who I trust and know to err on the side of caution when posting scoops, continues by saying that “this appearance is plot-driven and integral enough that it might just survive any future revisions.”

I’m not sure this would affect the overall quality of the movie either way, but it would be nice for completionists. I’m just hoping this one is less muddled than Star Trek Into Darkness (I liked the original reboot) and enters new territory rather than recycling old stories. There’s some speculation that Shatner may decline this part, but I’m betting he leaps at the chance. Why? Here’s Exhibit A:


Awesome! It would be great to Shatner be Kirk one last time. This also pretty much confirms Leonard Nimoy will be in the third film as well. 2 Spocks and 2 Kirks. Yay..

Image
Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Bafta Winner
Posts: 1111
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 pm
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
Location: Melbourne, Vic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:03 am
Worst Previews wrote:William Shatner Confirms Offer to Appear in "Star Trek 3"

According to a recent rumor, William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have been asked to reprise their roles in "Star Trek 3," an opportunity that Nimoy took in the 2009 "Star Trek" reboot, but Shatner passed since he considered the role too small.

Shatner has been claiming that he doesn't know anything about "Star Trek 3," but during a recent appearance at the Wizard World Nashville Comic-Con, the actor confirmed that he has been offered a role.

According to Shatner, JJ Abrams reached out to him and said: "I'm calling, Bill, because the director of the 'Star Trek' movie, the next one, has had an idea where you might be involved in it. So I am calling to see if you would be interested."

The actor replied: "Oh, yeah. If it is meaningful," adding: "They might want Leonard and myself. How do you get me fifty years later into the movie? I know it's science fiction, but even I couldn't come up with an idea."

All well and good but in the original timeline Kirk died in "Generations".

Only way to bring him back is to either have "Pine Kirk" age due to getting left behind on a planet, fix the timeline or time travel back to 1986 and cross paths with Kirk and Spock prime trying to save the whales.

Image
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 13499
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm
Cash on hand: 192.00
Bank: 1,262,341.40
Location: Surry Hills, NSW
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm
Kal wrote:
Worst Previews wrote:William Shatner Confirms Offer to Appear in "Star Trek 3"

According to a recent rumor, William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have been asked to reprise their roles in "Star Trek 3," an opportunity that Nimoy took in the 2009 "Star Trek" reboot, but Shatner passed since he considered the role too small.

Shatner has been claiming that he doesn't know anything about "Star Trek 3," but during a recent appearance at the Wizard World Nashville Comic-Con, the actor confirmed that he has been offered a role.

According to Shatner, JJ Abrams reached out to him and said: "I'm calling, Bill, because the director of the 'Star Trek' movie, the next one, has had an idea where you might be involved in it. So I am calling to see if you would be interested."

The actor replied: "Oh, yeah. If it is meaningful," adding: "They might want Leonard and myself. How do you get me fifty years later into the movie? I know it's science fiction, but even I couldn't come up with an idea."


All well and good but in the original timeline Kirk died in "Generations".

Only way to bring him back is to either have "Pine Kirk" age due to getting left behind on a planet, fix the timeline or time travel back to 1986 and cross paths with Kirk and Spock prime trying to save the whales.



Given that they have already twisted the time line once I am sure they will work something out.
Image

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Next

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest