Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:44 am
A whole year to wait. Ugh. Too early.

Have loved Star Wars since the original release in 1977.
My hope is that the next one doesn't get mired in the cgi/fx and gives us a decent story with decent characters.

P***ing in the wind? :?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm
if its anything to go by

The kids will love it

and the adults will feel violated for new stars never being as good as the original, or even the episode 1 to 3 trilogy ;)

However, hopefully the adults will live long enough for the kids to grow up to see the next instalment of a future star wars trilogy so they know how it feels ;) (of which the kids of that generation will love it) :?

Anyway Cleo, do you think the director of Gravity would do a better job, he seems to have a panache for making exciting space dramas, why did they just give the keys to Abrams without even considering other candidates?
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:08 am
Review of a teaser... :lol:

For what little we were given I am satisfied for the meantime. I'm only in my early twenties but having grown up through the magnificent original trilogy to the "okay" prequel trilogy (third ep is best) I always wanted to find out what happens next.

Reading up on comments from people around the internet has revealed that J.J Abrams may have cherry picked from the S.W "extended universe" (comics, games, novels).

Really looking forward to this film!! :D

Here's most of the memes collected in one place:

http://www.geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3696
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,925.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:46 am
Kal wrote:
I'm only in my early twenties

Yeh, but watch this stuff when you get older, people tend to appreciate different things at different times in life, which is why we find our parents uncool - an embarrassment, when in actual fact they liked the cool things of their time which we find lame :shock:
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am
Kal wrote:Here's most of the memes collected in one place:
http://www.geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3696

Swiss Army Light Saber :lol:

CONDEMNED666 wrote:Yeh, but watch this stuff when you get older, people tend to appreciate different things at different times in life, which is why we find our parents uncool - an embarrassment, when in actual fact they liked the cool things of their time which we find lame :shock:

Yeah, whatever happened to all those girls screaming and fainting over Elvis or the Beatles? They're tut-tutting over their grand daughters screaming and fainting over 1D or 5SOS. ;)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Star Wars: The Force Awakens Enlists Stars of The Raid

Twitch is reporting that three cast members of Gareth Evans’ The Raid and The Raid 2 will appear in the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Series star Iko Uwais (who plays Rama in both films) will reportedly appear alongside Yayan Ruhian (Mad Dog in the first “Raid,” and Prakoso in its sequel) and Cecep Arif Rahman (“The Assassin” from The Raid 2‘s kitchen fight).

Though the outlet is unsure what roles they will play in the film, it’s possible they will serve as fight choreographers for the film, a role that both Uwais and Ruhian filled on both “Raid” films and the upcoming Beyond Skyline.

Also starring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, Kenny Baker, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Lupita Nyong’o, Gwendoline Christie, Crystal Clarke, Pip Anderson, Christina Chong and Miltos Yerolemou, the J.J. Abrams-directed film will debut in theaters on December 18, 2015.

Awesome! 8-)
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:37 pm
Collider wrote:George Lucas Says His Treatments for the New STAR WARS Films Were Discarded

We knew this new era of Star Wars would be different, but we now have confirmation that these films will be unique for one major reason: for the first time in the franchise’s history, the Star Wars films will not be based on original ideas by George Lucas.  When Lucas sold his company, Lucasfilm, to Disney along with the rights to one of the most significant franchises of all time, Lucas was to remain involved in the new films as a consultant.  Kathleen Kennedy was spearheading these new films as the producer, but it was made clear that Lucas was handing over all of his story treatments and ideas for the continuing saga, specifically installments 7, 8, and 9 which he’d been touting for decades.

However, Lucas now says two years later that, somewhat unsurprisingly, none of his treatments are being used for the new Star Wars films.

In a recent interview with CinemaBlend, Lucas revealed that his ideas for the new Star Wars trilogy have been discarded:

“The ones that I sold to Disney, they came up to the decision that they didn’t really want to do those. So they made up their own. So it’s not the ones that I originally wrote [for Star Wars: The Force Awakens].”

Now, this isn’t altogether surprising.  Shortly after the sale to Disney, it was announced that Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) had been hired to pen the screenplay for the then-untitled Star Wars: Episode VII.  We subsequently learned that Arndt had actually been working on the screenplay since before Lucas sold his company to Disney, fleshing out a treatment originally conceived by Lucas himself.

When J.J. Abrams was hired on as the director, he and Arndt worked extensively on the script for a year.  Then, somewhat abruptly, Arndt was removed from the project and Abrams took over screenwriting duties himself with Lawrence Kasdan acting as co-writers.  Apparently Abrams and Arndt didn’t see eye-to-eye on how to proceed with this first installment in a new Star Wars trilogy, with Arndt wanting to focus on new characters and Abrams wanting to beef up the roles of the Original Trilogy actors (ie. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher) and make them a more central part of the story.

With Lucas’ recent comments, it seems pretty clear that Arndt and Abrams were working from a story that was originally put together by Lucas in his treatment for Episode VII, but Abrams and Kennedy (and possibly Rian Johnson, who’s writing Episodes 8 and 9) subsequently decided they had come up with a better, different take altogether.

This is certainly interesting and, again, significant.  Lucas admitted years ago that he wouldn’t have much to do with the new Star Wars films, but now we know that these will be the first Star Wars films in history that are essentially devoid of Lucas’ creative input—for better or worse.

Collider wrote:Mark Hamill Describes Stepping Onto the Millenium Falcon In STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

This is the kind of thing that isn’t huge news but I’m comfortable reporting on it because it’s just cool.  We’ve known for a while that the old trio of Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will appear in Star Wars: The Force Awakens and we’ve probably put two and two together that, at some point, they’ll be on the Millenium Falcon we’ve seen in the trailers.  But hearing Hamill talk about the experience provides a bit of tangible excitement that we’re getting to see this happen in the near future.

Hit the jump to read what Mark Hamill had to say about appearing in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  The film opens December 18th and also stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong’o, Gwendoline Christie, Crystal Clarke, Pip Andersen, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker.

Hamill told Extra TV:

“It was interesting to see it helmed by someone who is such a fan of the originals like J.J. Abrams. It’s really about setting up for a new generation.  I can’t describe the feeling… the déjà vu of walking onto the Millennium Falcon, remembering all these details that they’ve gotten exactly right… It still seems surreal to me and hard to believe it’s actually happening.”
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:46 pm
Collider wrote:J.J. Abrams Talks STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS and That New Lightsaber

When you’re the director of the most anticipated film of the year—and, quite possibly, one of the most anticipated in recent memory—you’re constantly fielding questions that you can’t answer given the enormous amount of interest in said film. In the case of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the sequel luckily has someone at the helm who is well-versed in teasing without revealing: J.J. Abrams.

Last night, Abrams attended the Visual Effects Society Awards to accept the Visionary Award. Coincidentally, Steve was at the event and had the chance to speak with Abrams on the red carpet. While no one expects Abrams to be very forthcoming about the movie (after all, it doesn’t open for another ten months), the filmmaker actually spoke quite a bit about some major points of interest in the Star Wars sequel, and also touched on recent developments regarding Star Trek 3.

One of the major talking points in the wake of unveiling the first The Force Awakens trailer revolved around the new lightsaber that was revealed. There’s been plenty of passionate debate on the internet about the practicality of hilts on a lightsaber, and Abrams himself hasn’t been left out of the discussion:

“I will say that what’s been funny is, since the lightsaber’s come out, I cannot tell you how many contradictory emails I have received from people who have both defended it with unbelievably detailed graphics…I’ve gotten things that are nuts, and I’ve gotten people who’ve shown how it’ll kill you and how it doesn’t make any sense. It’s been the funniest thing to see the arguments that have developed over this thing.”

While Abrams declined to get into the origins of the lightsaber saying it’s a “long story” that he’ll tell at another time, he assures fans that he and his team had the exact same debates when designing the piece of weaponry:

“It was a number of conversations [that led to the design]. It was a sketch that became a whole thing and, you know, this was not done without a lot of conversation and it’s fun to see people have the conversation that we had, but in reverse.”

The director said that he hasn’t yet seen a first cut of Star Wars: The Force Awakens since they’re still editing, but he did briefly tease the film’s sequence that was shot in IMAX, confirming that the large-format is relegated to just one portion of the film:

“It’s really one sequence so it’s not a ton [of IMAX footage], but it’s a good sequence.”

Much has been made about Abrams bringing practical effects back into the Star Wars realm with The Force Awakens, and the filmmaker said they went “old school” on the movie, more often than not using CG to remove things instead of add them:

“I feel like the beauty of this age of filmmaking is that there are more tools at your disposal, but it doesn’t mean that any of these new tools are automatically the right tools. And there are a lot of situations where we went very much old school and in fact used CG more to remove things than to add things.”

Abrams admits that there is a significant amount of visual effects in the film, obviously, but again reiterated that they went practical whenever possible:

“There are obviously an enormous amount of CG effects in the film, and I can’t wait for you to see the combination. But it was very important that we build as many sets as we could and that the film have a tangible, sort of authentic quality that you believed that these things were actually happening in a real space with real sunlight, if it was an exterior scene, or if we could build a big portion of a scene and not have anything be blue screen, do it where we could. It was a very important piece of work.”

With regards to the future of the Star Wars franchise, Abrams confirmed that he’s involved as an executive producer on Episode VIII and Episode IX, but that at least Episode VIII belongs to writer/director Rian Johnson:

“I wouldn’t say 8 and 9 are my baby, Rian will be working at least on 8, but I’m executive producing those films, yeah.”

Watch the full video interview below, in which Steve also attempts to get Abrams to confirm if Star Wars is coming to Comic-Con and when the next trailer will hit. Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in theaters on December 18th.

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 am
Teaser trailer 2:

Voice over from Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a glimpse of Han Solo and Chewbacca!! So retro yet modern at the same time!! O<>

Posters:

Image Image Image
Cash on hand: 17,535.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:43 pm
I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd.... I mean fan, but that was pretty cool.
PreviousNext

Return to Movies