Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am
TMT wrote:LucasFilm is The Property of Disney; Star Wars Episode 7 Announced for 2015

Simple words can't express how I feel. Not excitement nor is it negativity. Just...speechless... Forget the election in a week. Here is the October surprise.

Disney just announced they bought Lucasfilm and tentatively set a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7. Rumors circulated few years back, from my ex-employers after our exit George Lucas was quietly assembling a third Star Wars trilogy to immediate denial. This purchase from the Mouse would presumably also include the Indiana Jones franchise.

This is the coupe of coupes for Kathleen Kennedy and Alan Horn, who brokered the deal. The possibilities of Disney/Lucasfilm are infinite and go beyond the afore-mentioned sequel. God help the competition if they meet that date; Star Wars: Episode 7 and The Avengers 2. So much potential opens up for this alliance; good and bad. You smile pondering a Pixar-produced Star Wars film, sure. But that also means endless DTV cartoons. And if you thought Lucas let the merchandising get out of hand over the decades (Spaceballs: The Flamethrower springs to mind), then don't worry your pretty li'l head over doing the ownership of Disney.

An exciting and terrifying development, I must confess. But God am I interested to see what this results in.

Now Disney wants to milk it dry... Don't know what to say about this. Could be good. :|

Last edited by Super-Blur on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm
Oh phew! I thought disney had acquired the rights to Game of Thrones a song of ice and fire franchise

Carry on then...
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 pm
Worst Previews wrote:New Details on "Star Wars: Episode 7," "Indiana Jones" and More

George Lucas is now 68 years old and has been talking about retiring for a while. Earlier this year, he named Kathleen Kennedy as the co-chair of Lucasfilm with the goal of having her ultimately replace him. And yesterday, we learned that Lucas has officially retired by selling Lucasfilm and all of his other companies to Disney for $4.05 billion, a deal that has been in the works for a couple of years.

"I've been talking about retiring for several years now," said Lucas. "I wanted to get into another stage of life where I'm not in the film business anymore, where I don't have to run a corporation. I felt that I really wanted to put [Lucasfilm] somewhere in a larger entity that would protect it. Disney is a huge corporation; they have all kinds of capabilities and facilities."

With time Disney will ultimately unveil their plan for Lucasfilm. But for now, we've gathered all the information that's known about the acquisition.

* "Star Wars: Episode 7" will be released in theaters in 2015. It will be the beginning of a trilogy. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow in 2017 and 2019.

* Disney acquired extensive and detailed treatments for the next three movies, as well as treatments for other films. They are already meeting with writers.

* George Lucas will stay on as a consultant for at least "Episode 7."

* Disney also acquired the "Indiana Jones" franchise, but is not planning to make another movie anytime soon due to a legal matter with Paramount Pictures, which distributes the films.

* In the past, Lucas funded the "Star Wars" movies and had 20th Century Fox distribute. Disney will now take over distribution duties, which means that Fox will no longer be involved with the franchise.

* Other Lucasfilm properties like "Willow," "Howard the Duck" and "Red Tails" were also part of the deal. There may be some legal issues there as well, but since "Howard the Duck" was a Marvel character and Disney now owns Marvel, we're one step closer to seeing a remake (anything is possible).

* Disney is planning new live-action and animated "Star Wars" series for Disney XD, ABC, and it's other channels. "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is currently a top rated show on the Cartoon Network. When that contract expires in a couple of years, the show will move to Disney XD.

* Disney bought Lucasfilm strictly for the "Star Wars" franchise, but got some of the biggest technology companies as part of the deal, including Industrial Light and Magic (ILM), Skywalker Sound, and LucasArts. All three companies will not be touched and will continue doing business as usual.

* 25% of Lucasfilm earnings come from "Star Wars," 25% come from consumer products, 20% from games and 30% from everything else (like ILM).

* Disney plans to expand the focus on "Star Wars" video games, but for mobile and social networks, rather than console.

* According to Disney, the company acquired Pixar because it's a top animated brand for children. It acquired Marvel to get over 5,000 characters for film and television. And it acquired Lucasfilm for "Star Wars," along with merchandising and gaming opportunities.

* Disney is planning to be the sole handler of sales for "Star Wars" toys in order to increase profits overseas, where middlemen take a portion of the earnings. Toys will begin to show up in Disney parks and stores all over the world.

* "Star Wars" is already a big part of amusement parks. But Disney is planning to expand the brand's presence even more.

* In September of 2012, George Lucas' net worth was $3.3 billion. The deal with Disney will increase that sum significantly since he is the sole owner of Lucasfilm.

* Kathleen Kennedy will remain the head of Lucasfilm, but will report to Disney. She was a producer on "ET," "Back to the Future," the first three "Jason Bourne" movies, and most Steven Spielberg films.

Worst Previews wrote:"Star Wars: Episode 7" Story Details, Disney Doesn't Own First Six Films

It was announced yesterday that Disney acquired Lucasfilm with plans to create a new "Star Wars" trilogy. Then came a rumor that the stories would be based on Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" series of novels.

Lucasfilm has now revealed to E! Online that the new films won't be based on Zahn's work. The company says that the trilogy "is an original story." We've already heard that George Lucas provided treatments for an entire trilogy and possibly even beyond that.

According to Dave Pollock, who wrote an unauthorized George Lucas biography "Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas," revealed that he had interviewed Lucas over 80 times and says that the new trilogy will focus on Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, adding: "It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had action, really interesting new worlds, new characters."

Regarding the first six "Star Wars" films, it turns out that 20th Century Fox owns all of them. The original movie, "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope," is the studio's forever. The next five films will be theirs until May 2020. This is why Disney will struggle to release the original, unedited trilogy box set in the near future.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 pm
*carries on with day as per usual*
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:18 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Mark Hamill Discusses "Star Wars: Episode 7"

Ever since it was first announced that Disney acquired Lucasfilm and everything the company owns, including "Star Wars," new details have been coming out. Today, Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the original trilogy, has revealed that he knew about George Lucas' plans to make three more film over a year ago.

"[George Lucas] asked Carrie [Fisher] and I to have lunch with him and we did," he explained. "I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I've heard about. So when he said, 'We decided we're going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,' I was just gobsmacked."

Hamill added that he learned about the purchase of Lucasfilm along with everyone else, and doesn't know if he would have the opportunity to be part of the new "Star Wars" trilogy.

According to Dave Pollock, who wrote an unauthorized George Lucas biography, the new films will focus on Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s. Hamill is currently 61 years old, which means that the role would have to be played by a younger actor.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:59 am
Bleeding Cool wrote:The Man Who First Reported The New Star Wars Trilogy In 2009 Is Back With More Details

Way back in 2009, Jim Dorey of the 3D-obsessed blog Marketsaw claimed that Lucasfilm were working on a new trilogy of Star Wars films.

As it happens, he was right.

And tonight, Dorey has published more details, reportedly from the same source as his original information.

So, assuming that the original story wasn’t just a lucky guess and we’re dealing with somebody who actually has good intel to share with Marketsaw – and there is some question here, we should be clear – then what can we look forward to?

Here are the bullet points:

* The films are reworked versions of what Lucas was planning as far back as when he was making the original trilogy.
* This next trilogy may conflate plot points originally intended to span two trilogies – the second featuring the Skywalker offspring.
* As such, Luke Skywalker is a key character.
* And so are many of “the original trilogy cast” with Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2 set to appear.
* Hamill is already locked-in.
* The Empire was not completely destroyed at the end of Return of the Jedi.
* Disney intend “on playing to the cultural significance of that original trilogy.”
* The scripts that have already been written for the live-action TV show “will be absorbed in some way into a TV format.”
* Disney are “all over” restoring the original trilogy.

This mysterious source also lists the names of some directors that were being “bandied about” – Steven Spielberg, Neill Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Matthew Vaughn, Darren Aronofsky and Joss Whedon.

There are some pretty obvious sticking points with this report – but, to be fair, I would have said the same thing in 2009 if reporting on the original claim. Still, I’m not sure that this report meshes totally smoothly with some other things we know.

So, Disney might be “all over” restoring the original trilogy, but that would require an agreement with Lucas, and also with Fox, who still retain the rights. Not impossible, it just sounds unlikely… as a new trilogy did, in 2009.

Lucas did seem to be saying that the next three episodes would close out “the saga” and that would preclude there being six more films about the Skywalker family. Of course, this scooper did suggest the six films might be getting compressed into three.

But Spielberg as a director? Well, I did always hear that he fancied a go. He’s not the “next generation” that Lucas was talking about, but that chat may have been more generalised.

If Disney and Lucasfilm are planning to get Episode 7 in cinemas just two and a bit years from now, plans must be pretty advanced, and if plans are pretty advanced, solid info must be coming down the pike. I’m sure it won’t take three years to find out how right or wrong Marketsaw have gotten things this time.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:57 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Matthew Vaughn to Direct "Star Wars: Episode 7"?

As soon as Disney announced that it acquired Lucasfilm and is developing a new "Star Wars" trilogy, fans started guessing which director would sign on to helm "Star Wars: Episode 7," that's set to hit theaters during the summer of 2015.

Today comes a rumor that the reason Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass) dropped out of directing the upcoming "X-Men: First Class" sequel is because he took the job of directing the new "Star Wars" film.

Since Disney has already met with a bunch of writers regarding the project, it's clear that the studio and Lucasfilm have been working on their deal for a while. So it's not impossible that they already had a chance to discuss the project with filmmakers.

At this point this is all just a rumor, but one that comes from a reliable source. Stay tuned.

Worst Previews wrote:"Star Wars" Reactions from Jon Favreau, JJ Abrams, Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez

A few days ago it was announced that Disney has acquired the rights to the "Star Wars" franchise as part of a $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm. The studio immediately announced plans to release a new "Star Wars" trilogy, starting with "Episode 7" in 2015.

While fans have flooded Twitter with reactions, Entertainment Weekly reached out to some Hollywood filmmakers to get their opinions on having Disney develop a new trilogy. Check out what they had to say below.

* Jon Favreau (Iron Man): "I want so bad for it to be good."

* George Nolfi (The Adjustment Bureau): "Star Wars defined 'the magic of movies' to me as a child. No other film had more impact on my subconscious desire to become a filmmaker. I can't imagine a larger event-film for our generation than a sequel to 'Return of the Jedi.'"

* Shawn Levy (Real Steel, Night at the Museum): "I can't think of any comparable cultural phenom that has so pervasively shaped and galvanized viewers to the extent that 'Star Wars' has."

* JJ Abrams (Star Trek): "Part of me. Thrilled. Part of me. Terrified."

* Robert Rodriguez (Machete, Sin City): "What an amazing world and legacy George Lucas has created — and it needs to continue in capable hands. I do think Disney is the best studio for the job and the fact that they brought in Kathleen Kennedy? I can't imagine a better scenario. And 2015 can't get here fast enough."

* Damon Lindelof ("Prometheus" writer): "All I can say is my heart literally started racing when I heard."

* Kevin Smith (Cop Out, Clerks): "I'm all for it. Can't wait to see all the new movies they're gonna make. The seven year old Kevin who saw 'Star Wars' during its initial release in 1977 is finally going to get all nine 'Star Wars' movies he was promised back then. I'll be first in line to pay for whatever they do."
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:06 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Harrison Ford Wants to Return for "Star Wars: Episode 7"

While making "Star Wars" as a 35-year-old man, Harrison Ford never believed that the movie would take off and become such a massive hit. Later in his career, the actor often reflected on his "Star Wars" experiences, stating that he never found his Han Solo character very interesting, even revealing that he wanted Han to die.

Now that Disney acquired the franchise and is planning a new trilogy, sources close to the production tell Entertainment Weekly that Ford is surprisingly very interested in returning. And so are Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher.

"Star Wars: Episode 7" is already set to hit theaters during the summer of 2015. But before Ford agrees to return, he first wants to see a script and make sure that a director is in place.

We know that George Lucas wrote an outline for the new movie and Disney has been meeting with writers to turn the outline into a script. Regarding a director, a recent rumor states that Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass) has already signed on.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:38 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Matthew Vaughn Won't Direct "Star Wars: Episode 7," Here's Who May

It was recently reported that the reason why director Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) dropped out of "X-Men: First Class" sequel was because he signed on to direct "Star Wars: Episode 7." Not so say Mark Millar, the creator of such comic books as "Kick-Ass" and "Wanted."

According to Millar, Vaughn dropped out in order to speed up the progress on a movie called "Secret Service," based on another Millar comic book. "We thought Matthew was going to do 'X-Men' first, but we found out there were actually a few imitators of 'Secret Service' in the works," he explained. "So Matthew and I said, 'We're not letting anyone steal our ideas.'"

While one rumor was shot down, another one has popped up. According to CeleBuzz, director Colin Tervorrow met with George Lucas several months ago about directing "Star Wars: Episode 7." Apparently Lucas loves Trevorrow's "Safety Not Guaranteed." And even though Lucas will not be making the final decision regarding who will direct, there's no doubt that he has a good amount of influence. When reached for a response, Trevorrow said: "No comment."

And finally... TMZ caught up with Carrie Fisher to find out if she would be interested in returning for "Star Wars: Episode 7." The actress replied: "Yes, sure. Wouldn't you?"
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:33 am
Collider wrote:STAR WARS Sequel News: Michael Arndt May Pen STAR WARS: EPISODE 7; Brad Bird, J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg to Read His Treatment; Zack Snyder Out

Word has it that Oscar-winning screenwriter Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) will be among the writers on Disney/Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: Episode VII. Arndt reportedly has a 40-50 page treatment already prepared and is likely to be one of the writers on board before the picture starts shooting some time in 2014. Rumors have run rampant since the news that Disney would be purchasing Lucasfilm to the tune of $4 billion and would be releasing a Star Wars sequel trilogy starting in 2015. It’s been speculated that Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) may be lined up to direct the film, but Arndt’s treatment is expected to cross the desks of Brad Bird, J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg.

Vulture reports that Arndt has a leg up on the competition for the Star Wars: Episode VII writing job. Earning an Oscar nomination for his work on Toy Story 3 and recently joining Pixar’s brain trust, Arndt also happens to be a Star Wars expert of sorts. The article also reports that Arndt often lectures on the art of storytelling at writers’ retreats and makes special mention of the creative satisfaction of the original Star Wars films. Arndt was reported as saying:

“If a writer could resolve the story’s arcs (internal, external, philosophical) immediately after the Moment of Despair at the climax, he or she would deliver the Insanely Great Ending and put the audience in a euphoric state. The faster it could happen, the better…George Lucas hit those three marks at the climax of Star Wars within a space of 22 seconds.”

It remains to be seen whether Arndt will move ahead with the entire script or if he will be included in an ensemble. He’s certainly got a lot of high-profile films coming up, including Joseph Kosinski’s Oblivion, Francis Lawrence’s The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Pete Docter’s Untitled Pixar Film That Takes You Inside the Mind. Regardless of Arndt’s involvement with the picture, it looks like the studio is interested in bringing the original cast back on border, including older versions of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher). In a related story, someone who’s not interested in directing the picture is Zack Snyder (Sucker Punch). In his own words (via Hero Complex):

“I don’t think I’d be interested in [directing it],” Snyder said during a recent interview. “I’m a huge ‘Star Wars’ fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

Arndt may be the first piece of the puzzle as the search continues for the creative team of Star Wars: Episode VII both in front of and behind the camera.
Next

Return to Movies