Independence Day 2: Resurgence

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:15 pm
Moviehole wrote:Independence Day Sequel in The Works!

Seems at least once a year rumblings of an “Independence Day” sequel grace the web. Only this time, it’s possible the rumours might solidify into something concrete.

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin’s 1996 blockbuster was sequel primed for the moment in hit cinemas, but with the escalating costs of it’s cast (namely Will Smith, who has since gone on to become the biggest movie star in the world) and the aforesaid creative duo experiencing road-block story-wise, an “ID4 2″ has never got beyond the idea stage.

Now though, Emmerich says he and Devlin may have in fact cracked the storyline for a sequel. As for enticing the original cast back, for the right price, that’s another question.

“[C]reatively, for the very first time since we did the original, I feel we have a worthy concept, a worthy path to go,” the filmmaker tells THR. “…Whether or not we can make this happen, if we can get all the pieces to come together, that’s gonna be challenging.”

The original 1996 film starred Smith, Jeff Goldblum, Robert Loggia, Adam Baldwin, Harry Connick Jr, Bill Pullman, Brent Spiner, Randy Quaid and Mary McDonnell, to name but a few of the ensemble’s many players. Since not everyone walked away in the original with a pulse, not all of the latter troupe would be required back. Assmuningly, Smith, Pullman and Goldblum would be atop of Devlin and Emmerich’s wish-list though, since they were the main human drawcards of the film.

What will hopefully help fuel the fires of an “ID4 2″ for Fox is the re-release of the original film in 3D next year.
Last edited by Super-Blur on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 pm
Collider wrote:INDEPENDENCE DAY Sequels Get Possible Titles and Will Undergo 3D Post-Conversion

Although the closest thing you’ll see to Independence Day in the theaters is the original’s re-release next year, work is continuing on the two sequels. Director Roland Emmerich is currently tied up with White House Down, but he and producer Dean Devlin manage to work on the sequels when they can. The team refers to the films by their in-progress titles ID Forever Part One and ID Forever Part Two. They also recently commented on the use of 3D in the sequels and the tone they’re shooting for. Hit the jump to see what they had to say.

In a couple of recent interviews, Emmerich and Devlin further commented on the Independence Day sequels. From the German site, Film Smarts (via Bleeding Cool), Emmerich mentioned that the biggest hurdle to getting the sequels into production is reuniting all of the cast members. The delay will give Emmerich time to consider how he wants to use 3D for the sequels. For the moment, he has some reservations about current 3D cameras, but to acquiesce to studio demands, he would shoot in 2D and post-convert to 3D.

Speaking to Total Film (also via Bleeding Cool), Devlin talked about the tone they were striving for in the sequels and how it grew out of the fans’ appreciation of the original:

"Roland and I sat down and watched the original. It’s a different experience on television! The thing that really hit me about the movie is how much love there is in it: between the characters; that the filmmakers had making it; that the cast had for each other. As we’re approaching a sequel we’re focusing on that aspect of it. Because I think that was really the key as to why it worked for everyone. It was lovable."

It’s nice to know that work is still being done on the sequels and that the filmmakers appear to have hit the mark on what made the original work, but it will still be a few years before we see anything more substantial.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm
TMT wrote:If Will Smith Didn't Return for "INDEPENDENCE DAY 2" Why Make It?

I'm not a huge fan of the original, this is no secret to anybody who knows me. I do want to make it clear that despite that, the following opinion comes from a non bias place.

The official announcement back in June for the Roland Emmerich helmed 2nd installment of Independence Day indicated that they were going up against some aliens without the help of the original films star, Will Smith. What? Why would the studio big wigs even consider making an Independence Day sequel without Will Smith on board?

Seems that logic finally got in the way of the studios Will Smithless delusions. According DIGITAL SPY, who had the opportunity to sit down with director Roland Emmerich, Smith could be back in the mix again.

"I sometimes say no, Will Smith will not be in it because he didn't want to do it at first. Now we have a meeting planned, we want to talk about it again. Anything can happen,"

Let's be honest here, either the studio is begging Will Smith to come back because they know they have nothing without him or the actor realizes he needs to get bring it after the debacle that was After Earth. If somehow this all falls apart then the studio could always just replace him with Don Cheadle, I'm sure nobody will notice.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm
TMT wrote:Will Smith's "Pretty Much Decided" He's Not Going To Do 'INDEPENDENCE DAY 2'

Despite many websites claiming Will Smith has 'officially' said NO to star in Independence Day 2, that is certainly not the case when reading the original report carefully.

Mike Fleming Jr. of Deadline - who has proven himself to be reliable when it comes to reporting exclusives - announced last night that Will Smith has informed 20th Century Fox that he won't be coming back for the sequel to the film that launched his movie career. However, when reading Fleming's report in full, he clearly states that Smith has not had a final conversation with director Roland Emmerich as of yet and specifically writes:

I was told not to set this in stone, because Smith has been back and forth before on whether to make the movie, though I hear he is pretty much decided.

Now I'm not at all saying Fleming's report is BS (which I don't think it is), but I think it's important to note neither Fox, Smith, Emmerich, or any official statement has come out announcing the actor's decision not to return. Until then, fans of the original should still keep some shred of optimism that Smith will have a final change of heart and star in the sequel.

Remember, it's not like Smith's movie career has been hot as of late. After Earth completely tanked last summer and the audience's love for the actor has seemingly waned in recent years, mostly due to the fact of his over 3-year absence from film along with his nepotistic push to get his children into the movie business.

We'll keep you posted on this story as I'm sure an official announcement from the studio is around the corner on what direction their planned sequel will go.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,393.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:28 pm
yeah I heard this news, it's not like he's doing really good movies anymore. After Earth anyone?!

he could use a big budget summer blockbuster like this, this ain't the 90s anymore Will... take what you can get!
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:50 pm
Exactly, couldn't agree more with you Cyborg. He should take what he can get before he disappears into the DVD bin and hopefully not shove his son into our screens, if he wants to be an actor then let him earn it on his own!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,393.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:48 pm
I hope he still does Bad Boys 3. If not, he's lost the plot.

meanwhile checkout this awesome well made fan poster -

http://umbridge1986.deviantart.com/art/ ... -398651547

I can't believe we have to wait 2 years for this, I want it now!
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:54 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Jeff Goldblum Says There's a Part For Him in "Independence Day 2"

We already know that Will Smith won't return for the upcoming "Independence Day" sequel, but Jeff Goldblum is very interested in reprising his role. And according to him, there's a part for him in the new movie.

"I had a meeting and have been talking over the last several months or year with Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, the producer, and they say they have a part for me in what they hope will be a plan to make another one pretty soon," confirmed Goldblum. "Maybe last weekend there was a script handed in, so it's brewing."

"Independence Day 2" is set to hit theaters on July 1st, 2016.

Will Smith needs to return if Goldblum is back. ;)

Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:41 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Independence Day 2 Targets Liam Hemsworth

With the much anticipated sequel having received the green light in November, casting is now underway on director Roland Emmerich’s Independence Day 2. TheWrap today reports that Liam Hemsworth (The Hunger Games, The Expendables 2) has been offered a leading role.

Set to hit theaters June 24, 2016 (almost exactly 20 years after the original), Independence Day 2 is looking to begin production in May with a script most recently rewritten by Carter Blanchard (best known for the short-lived 2009 series “G vs E”). Previous drafts were done by Emmerich and Dean Devlin, and then by James Vanderbilt. Although Will Smith will not be returning, both Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are expected to reprise their roles as David Levinson and President Thomas J. Whitmore, respectively.

Hemsworth can next be seen in Kieran Darcy-Smith’s By Way of Helena, reteaming with Hunger Games franchise co-star Woody Harrelson. He’ll follow that with a role opposite Kate Winsley and Sarah Snook in Jocelyn Moorhouse’s The Dressmaker before returning to Panem for one last time in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, hitting theaters on November 20.

The original Independence Day opened on July 3, 1996 and earned an impressive $817.4 million worldwide. Emmerich is also set to produce the sequel alongside Devlin and Harald Kloser.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Independence Day 2 Casts Jessie Usher, Liam Hemsworth and Jeff Goldblum!

Jessie Usher, who headlines the Starz original series “Survivor’s Remorse,” has taken a leading role in director Roland Emmerich’s Independence Day 2. Emmerich himself broke the news on his official Facebook page with The Hollywood Reporter chiming in to reveal that Usher will be playing Dylan Hiller, the son of Will Smith’s Captain Steven Hiller from the original ID4. Ross Bagley played the part in the 1996 original.

“My producing partner Harald Kloser noticed Jessie in between sets of pushups at the gym and gave him an audition,” Emmerich says of the chance encounter that brought Usher to his attention. “As they say, the rest is history!”

Set to hit theaters June 24, 2016 (almost exactly 20 years after the original), Independence Day 2 is looking to begin production in May with a script most recently rewritten by Carter Blanchard (best known for the short-lived 2009 series “G vs E”). Previous drafts were done by Emmerich and Dean Devlin, and then by James Vanderbilt. Although Will Smith will not be returning, both Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman are expected to reprise their roles as David Levinson and President Thomas J. Whitmore, respectively.

The original Independence Day opened on July 3, 1996 and earned an impressive $817.4 million worldwide. Emmerich is also set to produce the sequel alongside Devlin and Harald Kloser.

UPDATE: Emmerich has confirmed via Twitter that Jeff Goldlbum is now confirmed as is Liam Hemsworth, who was rumored for a leading role last month. Golblum will reprise his role as David Levinson while it is believed that Hemsworth will be playing the son-in-law of Bill Pullman’s President Whitmore.

Well.. At least we got Jeff Goldblum! 8-)
Next

Return to Movies