Lethal Weapon 5

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm
Super-Blur wrote:
Fringedweller wrote:Or they see him as a public relations liability. He is a very good actor and director. No doubt about that, but how do you package an aging, fundamentalist Christian battling alcoholism and Jews as a selling point?

You have a good point, but they can use that as a selling point. Obviously not every aspect of Mel's personal life but I would reverse Danny Glover's role and use it for Mel.

Riggs is near retirement, he's been through a lot. Danny Glover's character is either killed off, dies naturally or actually does retire. So Riggs dives into a case that consumes him to a point where he would be on the verge of suicide (drunk, hates the world...), like the first movie. This is where the movie gets going, he then is unwillingly partnered with a young cop who is modern and clean or rather 'by the book'. The film then explains itself from there.

I'd say doing it that way Mel's character comes full circle somewhat and a reboot can be made with Mel in light of what he's personal life is about.

That's a well thought out scenario, but the problem of using Gibson as a draw-card remains; his personal lifestyle and attitudes are a bit on the nose, and they have been well publicised since his last success. That is why I suggested the financiers of the remake or sequel may not be particularly keen on involving Gibson in their production.

Speaking of remakes / sequels / reboots, I don't think much of the article you quoted. 'Reboots', or whatever you care to call them, have been the staple of the film-making industry for nearly as long as the film-making industry existed. Sometimes, they are better than the original, and frequently they look at a topic from a different and interesting angle. The author of that article is being trite, unoriginal, and - yes - bereft of 'f****** ideas'.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:24 pm
Fringedweller wrote:That's a well thought out scenario, but the problem of using Gibson as a draw-card remains; his personal lifestyle and attitudes are a bit on the nose, and they have been well publicised since his last success. That is why I suggested the financiers of the remake or sequel may not be particularly keen on involving Gibson in their production.

Speaking of remakes / sequels / reboots, I don't think much of the article you quoted. 'Reboots', or whatever you care to call them, have been the staple of the film-making industry for nearly as long as the film-making industry existed. Sometimes, they are better than the original, and frequently they look at a topic from a different and interesting angle. The author of that article is being trite, unoriginal, and - yes - bereft of 'f****** ideas'.

Understood, it's just an idea. I'm not making the movie so I have no control with what ever happens. I will watch this movie though, might be good. But I always liked Mel Gibson's films so a classic is a classic. Even though I'm 20 :lol:

The website 'TMT' is legit, they seem to have some news earlier than other sites, and yes this particular author is as you say trite and unoriginal. he's only one of them, the others are more tame and to the point.

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 629,402.00
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm
Not that interested in a "reboot" as such, if they come up with a story that is as interesting as the original.... and NOT rehash the characters, i'd at least think about seeing it.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,358.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 pm
mmmm, there was talks of a Part 5 but I guess they're just too old for this S**t!!

Is this the first real action series been rebooted? cause usually they don't make any more sequels or bring the old cast back for a few more like they've been doing. this 'reboot' shall be interesting, some younger cast as Riggs and Murtough will be hard to cast I think. I suppose this reboot would be ok if they are the same characters but different stories then the previous movies. I would also have prefered a sequel but the way they ended part 4 was perfect, with the song and cast/crew photos over the end credits.

I'll see this but theres no way it'll be better then the original series, but I guess we'll see what they'll come up with!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Danny Glover on "Lethal Weapon" Reboot

Even though Warner Bros has been developing "Lethal Weapon 5" with plans of bringing back Mel Gibson and Danny Glover as Riggs and Martaugh, it was just announced that the studio will instead reboot the franchise.

MTV now caught up with Glover at the Sundance Film Festival and the actor responded to the news by quoting his character's famous line: "I'm too old for this."

He added that he hasn't heard anything about the reboot, but hopes that fans will not quickly forget the four installments that he and Gibson starred in. "I'd like to think that the four we did were still magical and people will still reference the four 'Lethal Weapons,'" said Glover. "I like what we've done before in the past."

I agree with Danny Glover, the original will always be a classic to me ;)
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 pm
The originals were pretty decent throw-away action comedies. Casting would have to be pretty decent for these reboots to fly... but, I suppose most people will pay to see all sorts of crap these days.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Chris Hemsworth Offered Lead Role in "Lethal Weapon" Reboot?

It's been several years since we last heard of an attempt to reboot the "Lethal Weapon" franchise. But now comes word that producer Joel Silver is giving it another shot and is in talks with director Justin Lin (Fast and Furious) and writer Will Beall (Gangster Squad).

According to Tracking Board, "Thor" star Chris Hemsworth has been offered the lead role in the new film that will focus on an older cop's son and his wishes to join the police force. Since it's not considered a complete reboot, the older cop must be Riggs, played by Mel Gibson in the original movie.

It's also being reported that Shane Black, the director of "Iron Man 3" and the creator of the "Lethal Weapon" character, is also involved.

This is sounding like 'Lethal Weapon 5' again. So I'm putting this post here instead of the reboot thread. Mel Gibson and Danny Glover might be in this after all. 8-)
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,920.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:42 pm
the thing is, the first couple of lethal weapon movies had plenty of charisma and humour, its hard to replicate that with a pretty boy like chris hemsworth

If I was going to offer a role a reboot it would be Louis CK
Cash on hand: 17,358.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:31 pm
on again, off again, on again?

word going around on the net is Director Richard Donner, Gibson and Glover are very interested in LW5!! they were pretty much done wih the series but now it seems they are all interested in making another. an original writer is also returning too. can they capture the magic? are they too old for this s..t? Im in!!
Previous

Return to Movies