New Members - Introduce Yourself!

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 13,348.00
Bank: 4,820,179.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 pm
Hello you! ooX
Survivor Contestant
Cash on hand: 5.00
Bank: 1,170.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 pm
Hello all... I grew up in the 80's and 90's and have watched some great show (unlike what they have these days). I stumbled across this board in researching a show.

I am a big fan of 80's and 90's television shows and cartoons. Including Inspector Gadget and Thundercats.
Cash on hand: 1,899.50
Bank: 1,041,530.40
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:39 am
Logankale wrote:Hello all... I grew up in the 80's and 90's and have watched some great show (unlike what they have these days). I stumbled across this board in researching a show.

I am a big fan of 80's and 90's television shows and cartoons. Including Inspector Gadget and Thundercats.

Welcome to TVAus ... if you have any issues please feel free to contact a member of the Mod Squad:

Jayel
greysfan
The_Admiral

Winner of the 2012 and 2013 TVAus AFL Tipping Competitions
Survivor Contestant
Cash on hand: 5.00
Bank: 1,170.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 am
Thank you :D

I will keep that in mind.
Cash on hand: 13,348.00
Bank: 4,820,179.80
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 am
Hello and welcome Logankale :<
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 3,783,324.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 am
Welcome Logankale ooX
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 452,631.00
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:07 am
Logankale wrote:Hello all... I grew up in the 80's and 90's and have watched some great show (unlike what they have these days). I stumbled across this board in researching a show.

Hi LoganKale, welcome to TVAus. Just have to question your statement a lil - unlike these days? I too am a child from the era you speak of and even TV Shows, but that was THEN and this is NOW.

Sure, some things change for the worst and some others for the better. Also, we change, for better or worse too, ofcourse. IMHO some of the nostalgia, especially for childhood TV shows are best left untouched, especially with my more, relatively, sophisticated view. Bursting the nostalgia bubble and wonders of childhood, perspective of, isn't always the nicest thing. E.g. I partially watched an ep of Transformers in my late teens, early 20s, and realised or more, saw it for what it, was. It was the best thing since sliced bread back in the day, good for a rambunctious, imaginative kid, but definitely best left to that time.

Today can be mixed, but that is with our critical eyes today too, and again that ever evolves as we experience more and the older we get.

Tastes can change I suppose.

There IS good stuff out there, just the structure of TV these days, the multitude of channels, lack of good content on the commercial channels etc... means you may really have to dig, via the internet especially (As many of us do and have), to even find out about these shows, let alone get access to them.

Though the rose coloured glasses of nostalgia still captures me as it does most of us - for example, I still think the X-Files is amongst the best genre shows I've ever seen, despite how many I have seen since, recent and older. Though I do temper by saying 'amongst the' rather than 'THE' which I may've easily said in my relatively younger days. Because of the fact I HAVE also seen some quite decent genre shows, recent and older than the X-Files, since.

Nothing can beat time and place and time in your life too - I was a teen who was gripped by that show and the routine of scheduling myself to tune in on Ten every Wednesday night at 9:30pm or whenever it was. Before the X-files I had seen NOTHING like it (Except Twin Peaks, kind of). It was like watching a great movie, once a week - watching the X-Files was 'an event' for me - meals prepared and certainly mentally prepared, no distractions. You just can't compare or compete with those cherished moments in your life/youth. Times and context change, but that's what it is and that's what you have. Same goes for childhood favourites.

But as you get older you can still experience moments of wonder and fascination and 'being interested/engaged' is what keeps many of us going.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,880.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 pm
We need a generic thread for U.S cable shows such as 'Enlightened' and 'Girls'

I have been following Lena Dunham's 'Girls' through Channel Bittorrent

Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 1,895,565.50
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:38 pm
Cellar Door wrote:lack of good content on the commercial channels etc... means you may really have to dig, via the internet especially (As many of us do and have), to even find out about these shows, let alone get access to them.

Isn't this what Logankale was talking about? I think it's harder to keep watching the same channel through the night then it used to be.

And when you have all three channels doing practically the same thing you're forced to look elsewhere.
2010B & 2011A TvAus Ratings Comp Winner, TvAus AFL Tipping Comp: 2011 Co-Winner, 2012 Runner-up.

Member 18685 - an asset of NSW.
Secret Life Extra
Cash on hand: 2.50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm
Thanks Sloaney, I'm not entirely new though, I was here a little while after syl set it up in the guise of lijijil

I found a whole stack of passwords a couple days back, couldn't find poor old lij though

The place looks good

Sadly nothing will work in the siggie beow

:<
PreviousNext

Return to Movies