Justice League [DC]

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:55 am
Worst Previews wrote:Ben Affleck on Directing "Justice League of America" Movie

In an attempt to fill the pages of our website, we recently reported that Ben Affleck was offered to direct the upcoming "Justice League of America" movie. But soon came word that he turned it down.

Now, while speaking to the Canadian press, Affleck was asked whether he has any plans to direct the big-budget superhero movie. "I'm not working on 'Justice League,'" he said. "One of the problems with entertainment web sites is that they need to fill pages, and that's how rumors get started. 'Justice League' sounds really exciting, but it's not something I'm working on."

That's a well-phrased answer, since he doesn't really deny anything. With "Argo" set to hit theaters soon, he'll likely be forced to clarify his involvement, and in the process, give us more rumors to fill our pages with.

Interesting.. ;)
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:29 pm
Moviehole wrote:Exclusive : two other names on the Justice League director wish-list

Warner Bros has a smallish list of directors they’re talking to about “Justice League”, the long-proposed superhero team-up movie (including new comic-book bed-buddies Superman and Wonder Woman! Can you believe that!? Way to sell a comic book to a woman though, DC!) that they’ve been planning since… well, George Miller couldn’t get it going.

Ben Affleck’s name is on that list, we know that. And we also know that Affleck’s not every keen on doing the picture – sadly, he would’ve donated much gravitas to it. But Ben’s too busy doing his own thing right now, putting together the kind of unique, original dramas that win filmmaker’s Oscars.

That means one of the other names on the list will likely get the gig. Haven’t seen the list, nor do I know all the names on it, but I’ve heard whisperings of two other names on the wish-list.

As most know, I’m now a partner in a global PR firm that specializes in event management and digital marketing of talent in-front-of and behind the camera. This bit of news came courtesy someone we’ve been working with – someone who would likely have a better chance at getting a glass to a door at WB than most of us. So here goes…

Lana and Andy Wachowski.

What I’m told is Warner Bros are apparently jazzed with “Cloud Atlas”, and love that it’s as much a spectacle as it is a showcase for the immense ensemble involved, so it makes sense the W’s are under consideration. “Justice League” needs to be as big on character, as it does bells & whistles, and the Wachowski’s could probably offer that.

The directing duo have also gave the studio one of their most successful film trilogies of all time, “The Matrix” trio (I won’t mention “Speed Racer”).

Quite a few reasons why WB would consider the directing duo a viable option for “Justice League”, but would Lana and Andy even consider it? Hard to say. They definitely like to work at their own speed, and definitely like to do their ‘own’ thing as opposed to being merely one ‘cog’ in a venture, so I can’t see them jumping through hoops to pull the strings on a ‘we want it done now’ large corporate statement like this. Still, exciting possibility nonetheless.

The Wachowski’s have considered comic book films before (and they’ve done one of their better graphic novel cum film adaptations in “V for Vendetta”). They toyed with a “Plastic Man” movie for a while there, and it’s rumoured they were in the running to do “Man of Steel” – or an incarnation of a ‘Superman’ reboot’ – before the studio went with Zack Snyder. So the twosome definitely do shy away from men-in-tights movies.

(It’d also mean Hugo Weaving would be an easy score for one of the villains. Hmm.. wonder what he’d look like bald!?)

… though, personally, my vote is still with Ruben Fleischer.

“Justice League” is being written by “Gangster Squad” scribe Will Beale.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 585.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:18 pm
I just dont see this movie being made in all honesty. No matter how much talk i read about this in the past year will convince me that is coming to cinemas in the next 5 years - I seriously believe the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be in phase 3 and likely even have had the 3rd Avengers movie before they even put this movie in production.

Id rather they focus on making sure the new Man Of Stell series is as good (or at least 50%) as the Nolan Batman series and if they can somehow make sure the next Batman movie doesnt suck. When they achieve those things then they should worry about making this movie.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm
AM47 wrote:I just dont see this movie being made in all honesty. No matter how much talk i read about this in the past year will convince me that is coming to cinemas in the next 5 years - I seriously believe the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be in phase 3 and likely even have had the 3rd Avengers movie before they even put this movie in production.

Id rather they focus on making sure the new Man Of Stell series is as good (or at least 50%) as the Nolan Batman series and if they can somehow make sure the next Batman movie doesnt suck. When they achieve those things then they should worry about making this movie.

Couldn't agree more with you! ;) For the meantime I'm enjoying the Marvel cinematic universe and I'd also settle for Man of Steel being solo for now. Warner Bros are chasing something that is basically unreachable at this point in time, I hoped they learned from past mistakes but oh well..
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm
TMT wrote:Brett Ratner Rumoured for Justice League

Brett Ratner isn't the first name we've heard, and he certainly won't be the last, but The Superman Super Site is reporting the director is in the mix to helm The Justice League.

"The studio is very pleased with the work that Brett [Ratner] has done as a producer and director on past projects, they are now very interested in seeing what he can do with helping finally bring this group of iconic superheroes to the big screen!"

I think I just heard a collective scream from fanboys in their basements all across the country. For some reason the more overzealous fans blame Brett Ratner for X-Men: The Last Stand. The guy merely was the captain of the ship, he didn't build it guys.

The movie made about $235 million domestic and was a solid for a summer popcorn flick. Was it X-Men or X2? No it wasn't in my humble opinion, but let's not forget the same fans cursed out the director of those beloved flicks when he introduced a Superman who didn't throw punches.

Fans. Can't direct with them, can't direct without them.

If this rumor is true and Ratner is indeed in the mix to lense Justice League, we have bigger things to worry about. To me it means us keyboard crushers are a little slow on the draw. How can WB go from Ben Affleck to Brett Ratner just like that?

To me it is an indication that Affleck was offered a first look and passed several weeks ago followed by other 1st Tier directors. Some of the same candidates up for Man Of Steel maybe? Now we are on the 2nd Tier. TMT has heard some other names in addition to Ratner and The Wachowskis. Still damn solid directors, but we're not talking the next Christopher Nolan here.

Warner Bros certainly likes to stick with talent they have gone to battle with before. You wonder if directors like Brad Peyton (Journey 2: The Mysterious Island), Guy Ritchie (Sherlock Holmes), or David Yates (Name A Harry Potter Movie), could be in the mix as well.

Just get's worse... :roll: And over in the Batman reboot thread I posted an article stating that JLA is set for 2015 and Batman will debut in this film.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 pm
Ugh not him. Im sure its just a rumour at this stage. I read on Collider.com that theyre planning to go straight into the Justice League movie straight after Man of Steel BUT Zack Snyder has said that his movie will have no connection to the JL movie which implies theyre just trying to make a stand alone movie and not even trying to set up the characters the way Marvel did. Hope it bombs as badly as Green Lantern if thats what they do. :|
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm
TMT wrote:Warner Brothers Yanking The Justice League Chain, Again

Warner Brothers won big yesterday in the courts over Superman. Today they're cocky. Their victory opens up the possibilities to utilize Supes past The Man of Steel next June, including sequels, cartoons and most importantly the oft-rumored, oft-planned, oft-sighed upon Justice League movie.

In lieu of said big win, the LA Times says the studio is "aiming" Justice League for summer 2015. Yes, intentionally pitting them against The Avengers 2:

"The studio is expected to accelerate development of a planned ‘Justice League’ movie that would join Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman and other characters, according to a knowledgeable person not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

Warner hopes to shoot the film next year and release it in the summer of 2015. The studio already has a 'Justice League' script in the works. Next it needs to attach a director and then cast the lead roles."

We've heard this kind of excitement before from studio-brass (That Wall-Street Journal Jeff Robinov interview I've often referenced). More likely scenario is the Man of Steel follow-up hitting that summer instead. Until more information gets out, one would be wise to not take this development to heart.

I rather we have Superman 2 instead. 8-)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 pm
They'd have to be dead set morons to try and release this the same year as Avengers 2. Hope it flops as badly as Green Lantern if they try that.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 pm
TMT wrote:Zack Snyder Treads Cautiously on Justice League

Ah, Justice League.

Living in an environment where The Avengers is the third-biggest movie of all-time, Warner Brothers is lagging behind. Badly. Much worse offense considering they own DC Comics. Disney still has to share meaty portions of the Marvel pie with Sony and 20th Century Fox. Yet they can still yield Earth's Mightiest Heroes on the silver screen.

No reason why they can't figure it out. But they haven't. Not one to tarnish their relationship with Christopher Nolan, they left him alone to "do his thing" on the Dark Knight trilogy. They tried, and failed, to ignite Green Lantern. That puts all the pressure on The Man of Steel. It's not enough to ask if the Superman relaunch warrants a sequel. Not anymore it isn't. The Brothers Warner must ponder if Henry Cavill's Kryptonian do-gooder can be what Robert Downey Jr. is for Disney/Marvel, what Hugh Jackman is for X-Men. Can he be the face of the Warner Brothers/DC cinematic universe?

Hey! U Guys were the first to approach the subject to helmer Zack Snyder. He shot it down. It was the early days however. Cavill just cast, principal photography long from starting and no idea how the material would come together on set and in the edit bay.

His answer fine-turned, more open-ended, shall we shall, and less dismissive for the New York Post:

"'I don't know how 'Justice League' is going to be handled. Honestly, I don't,' Snyder says. 'But 'The Man of Steel' exists, and Superman is in it. I don't know how you'd move forward without acknowledging that.'

When asked whether he had conversations with the studio about integrating 'Man of Steel' into a larger superhero universe, Snyder treads carefully.

'Um, how can I answer that?' he wonders. 'I can't really say anything to that, because that's a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.'"

The marketing blitz for The Man of Steel begins soon; a trailer in front of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, more production stills (Likely the "Exclusive Reward" touted for sharing The Dark Knight Rises' DVD/Blu-Ray release on Facebook) and we're hearing its presence will be felt at next year's Super Bowl.

But it comes down to how the new Superman is received in June. Until then. It's all talk, answers and, in most cases, non-answers.

TMT wrote:Is Joseph Gordon Levitt Gearing Up for Justice League?

Why would you hire a fairly high profile actor to play a character with a name so generic it almost seemed like the creative team was resigned to a M. Night type twist from the beginning? There had to be more to him than just "a noble cop". We're looking at you "John Blake". Joseph Gordon Levitt was barely even in the trailers or TV spots for The Dark Knight Rises. We were on to you from the opening credits Team Nolan.

For those who have seen The Dark Knight Rises, and unless you were on another planet at the time not sure how you couldn't have, turns out we were right. Now according to Drew McWeeny At HitFix The Brothers Warner are preparing for the ending to the last film in the Batman Trilogy to expand allowing for Joseph Gordon Levitt to take on the role of Batman in a possible Justice League.

"So let's take what we know and speculate a little bit. How crazy do you think fans would go if Superman were to take to the skies at the end of "Man Of Steel," finally ready to fully accept his role as mankind's most powerful protector, only to have the closing credits interrupted when something catches his attention and he swoops down out of that sky, landing on a rooftop where Jim Gordon stands next to the Bat-Signal, interrupting just as the new Batman arrives for a chat about Gotham's latest problem?"

It seems to me that Nolan agreed to lay the foundation for a new era of Batman for Warner Bros as long as he was able close out his universe with Bruce Wayne. Now the studio can explore different story lines with another version of Batman allowing for a possible return of Bruce Wayne somewhere down the road. I wonder if they'll call JGL's version of Batman "Nightwing" and run with it.

I'm still not sold on Justice League happening right away, so the speculation brought forth by McWeeny on a possible cameo by "The New Batman" in Man Of Steel makes some sense to me. Maybe even a Batman & Superman team up film first could work as a Man Of Steel sequel. Remember when Joseph Gordon-Levitt was originally cast in The Dark Knight Rises? Large groups of fanboys were so sure he playing The Joker or The Riddler. Grains of salt are raining down on us. Let the speculation flood the interwebs.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:22 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Christopher Nolan Never Planned for Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Play Batman in "Justice League of America"

It was recently reported that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is rumored to be in talks to play Batman in the upcoming "Justice League of America" movie. Only he won't play Bruce Wayne, but John Blake, his character from "The Dark Knight Rises."

Director Christopher Nolan now explained that he never discussed ending "The Dark Knight Rises" in a way to transition it into "Justice League." He simply wanted to show that anyone can be Batman.

"The open-ended nature of the film is simply a very important thematic idea that we wanted to get into the movie, which is that Batman is a symbol. He can be anybody," he said. "Batman was not important as a man, he's more than that. He's a symbol, and the symbol lives on."

Henry Cavill will likely play Superman in "Justice League," so it's obvious that Warner Bros would want to tie "The Dark Knight" franchise into the new superhero film. Bringing back Gordon-Levitt would accomplish that, even though John Blake is neither rich or well-trained in martial arts.
PreviousNext

Return to Movies