Remakes/Reboots (News & Rumours)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 9376
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:16 pm
Cash on hand: 90.00
Bank: 2,035,420.90
Location: Hobart
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Movie Hole wrote:Director Talks Mortal Kombat Reboot

Filmmaker mink, attached to direct the third installment - or is it a reboot? - of the "Mortal Kombat" movie series, dropped by the compound today to answer questions about the video-game cum film.

The status of the film, as of today, is that "...the Producers are working out their deals with the studio and arranging their financing", says the director, who helmed Steven Seagal's "Into the Sun".

mink says the project isn't so much a sequel as it is a "re-envisioning(if that is a word) of the Mortal Kombat franchise from top to bottom. Todays audience is a savvy involved group so the film must be A plus plus in every area in order to capture the magic of the first film. It is taking the entire concept to the next level across the board in every area visual design, story, cast, FX, photography and most importantly the fighting scenes. The original Mortal Kombat game was born a child of many visual loves by the creators at midway so this latest version borrows heavily from that pioneering spirit and must be thought out and executed at the highest level in order for it succeed in today's market place. This is no overnight task."

Though the IMDB has Christopher Lambert returning as Rayden, mink says casting hasn't begun yet.

"First things first, is the way these larger projects need to be done. It is still in the business stages but once that is squared away all casting options will be explored along with the continued development of the best story line."

The last we heard the film was supposed to be shot in Louisiana.

''At one point Louisiana was on the table for various reasons. It still maybe in the future if that is appropriate place to work for the picture''.

Though Drew McWeeny and Scott Swan wrote the original draft of the script, "the writing has been handled by the Producers and their writers at Threshold Studios in conjunction with Midway, of course."

So there you have it. Not quite time to "Fight!" just yet, but when it is, we'll scream "Get Over Here!".
Last edited by Robot on Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 8429
Joined: Sun May 29, 2005 8:56 pm
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,163,137.00
Location: Adelaide, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:06 pm
I really liked the first 2 movies. I plan to get them on dvd one day. I would have no problem with a remake.

-Ben
User avatar
Oscar Nominee
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,571,987.60
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:41 pm
Hollywood Reporter wrote:Lara Croft To Return To The Big Screen

Warners, Dan Lin in early development on reboot

Lara Croft could soon be going on a new big-screen mission.

Warners Bros. and producer Dan Lin are in early development on a a reboot of "Tomb Raider," the popular video game action franchise.

"Tomb Raider," which was published in 1996 by a London-based video game company called Eidos, was a wildly popular game that involved the daredevil archaeologist Lara Croft on a series of global missions. Several spinoff games have been published since, with a 10th-anniversary edition of the game released in 2006.

Paramount previously made the two movies based on the game, but the rights have since reverted to Eidos. When Time Warner upped its stake to 19.92% in Eidos in December, films rights to the property were included as part of the deal.

Lin will produce the project via his Lin Pictures banner while Stephen Gilchrist will co-produce; Ian Livingstone of Eidos will exec produce. Matt Reilly is overseeing for Warners. Lin is the producer behind Warners' upcoming Guy Ritchie-directed update of "Sherlock Holmes" and the adventure film "Jonny Quest."

The new project, however, is expected to revamp the character and her mission and bear little resemblance to the original pictures. It will reimagine the origins of the character, her love interest and the main villain.

As an open-writing assignment, the project is still in its nascent stages. An actress who could play the role Angelina Jolie made famous would likely come on after a writer and director are attached.

Jolie, of course, starred in the first two installments, "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" and "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life."

The first pic, which came out in 2001, grossed a whopping $275 million worldwide, while the 2003 follow-up earned a more modest $157 million.

The first pic concerned Croft's race against a secret society known as the Illuminati to find a key, while the second centered on her quest to find "Pandora's Box."
Last edited by Super-Blur on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 24363
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:01 am
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 3,674.00
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:28 pm
I enjoyed the first one; it was nothing all that classy or intelligent, but it did the job. Kinda surprised that they'd make a new one. Jolie kinda suited the role; I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone else who could do it. :shrug:
Image

Sopranos Mobster
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:41 am
Cash on hand: 0.00
Location: Brisbane
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm
I agree. Who would be better than Angelina Jolie? Plus I don't really think that they could do much better than what they did on the first movie. She's described almost as a female Indiana Jones and that's what they pulled off in the first movie.
On that note, you do have to consider that there are a lot of similar franchises out there now. You now have the revived Indiana Jones franchise and the ongoing National Treasure films which are considerably better than what Tomb Raider could be.
In short, I don't think another Tomb Raider film (reboot or sequel) is necessary.
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 6035
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 am
Cash on hand: 16,973.30
Bank: 0.00
Location: Adelaide
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm
"Cliffhanger" Remake In The Works

It's official, with the 80's already well plundered it seems the remake boat is moving into the 90's.

StudioCanal and Original Films are planning a remake of the Sylvester Stallone-led 1993 mountain climbing action thriller "Cliffhanger" reports Variety.

In the Renny Harlin-directed original, Stallone played a climbing expert who is forced to help a group of hijackers recover three suitcases containing $100 million lost in the Rocky Mountains.

The film went on to become a major hit, raking in $255 million worldwide and scored generally positive reviews for its impressive action including a mid-air hijack sequence and the famous opening suspense set piece involving a woman whose equipment fails during a perilous climb across a deep chasm.

The new version will center on a group of young climbers and will "feature multiple cliff-face locations". A screenwriter is being sought with production aiming to kick off next year.

Neal Moritz, who is also producing the upcoming "Escape from New York" remake for Warners, will produce.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/14136/ ... the-works/

F**K!!! why must they remake anything and everything!! come up with your own ideas hollywood! I can kinda understand remaking/rebooting a horror movie but why an action movie? I mean its not even that old, hasn't even been 20 years yet. last I heard, Stallone wanted to do a sequel to it which would have been better. why remake it when old action movie series are now coming back with sequels
- Die Hard, Indy, Rambo, Beverly Hills Cop, Terminator etc.

this is one of my favorite top 10 action movies, I hope they do it RIGHT!
Last edited by Cyborg on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Oscar Nominee
Posts: 2477
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:50 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,571,987.60
Location: Melbourne, Vic
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:24 pm
I'm ignoring it, I mean its the 90's!! There was even less problems (sfx wise) than previous decades so why do this! there's nothing to fix with this one! :shock:

I would have accepted a sequel too, at least that way nothing is redone :snooty:

Let's see now.. maybe Independence Day will be remade too.. :eh: :roll:
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 6035
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 am
Cash on hand: 16,973.30
Bank: 0.00
Location: Adelaide
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 am
Production Officially Starts on 'Child's Play' Remake

Since the rumor of a CHILD'S PLAY reboot way back in October of 2007 all has been silent in play land until today. We heard confirmation months ago that creator, writer/director Don Mancini was in the works on an unofficial script and that original Good Guy doll himself "Brad Dourif" aka Chucky would be back at the helm to lend his voice as the serial killing doll but we had no word on when production would start...
Follow up:

It appears as if Universal has given the green light and production will indeed start next month on what will be a return to making our favorite killer doll scary again and much less comedic. This is an odd remake due to the fact that the main star and director are returning so it should be interesting to see how it turns out. It appears that Mancini simply feels he could accomplish what he wanted to accomplish with the technology he had in the original 1988 version.

According to writer/director Don Mancini the new reboot will be taking Chucky back to his roots. "It’s a remake, but there are a lot of new things in it. None of the details of the murders in the first movie will be repeated. All of the set pieces are going to be completely brand new, and we’re going to do a slight re-design on Chucky himself, although Brad Dourif will absolutely be the voice of Chucky, and will once again play Charles Lee Ray in the flesh. And we’re giving him more to do than he did in the original movie."

No word on a release date has been officially given although a November or December is the window we are hearing. Stay tuned for more information as we get it.

http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php ... lay-remake

the fact they wanna do away with the comedy and making it darker is what interests me the most, thats how it originally should have been like. plus the doll itself will be a totally new design, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. even though I love all 5 movies, after part 4 it went off track a bit and became comedic and silly...but still gory.

it sounds like it'll be a very different then the usual remake, more like a totally different movie!
Last edited by Cyborg on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 6035
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:05 am
Cash on hand: 16,973.30
Bank: 0.00
Location: Adelaide
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:23 pm
thoughts anyone on this remake as well as parts 1-5?

Oscar Nominee
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:39 am
Cash on hand: 1,350.70
Bank: 572,184.00
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 pm
I think it will be good considering Don Mancini is spear heading it. I've always wanted a fourth outing with the suggested scenario Andy as an adult with a child of his own ie: before both bride of Chucky + seed of Chucky it was rumoured that the "next" Childs Play would have Andy now an adult, but still having to deal with Chucky.



The highway death scene in Bride of Chucky is just about my favorite death in the series, and near favorite death of all time horror movies :D.
Next

Return to Movies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest