Remakes/Reboots (News & Rumours)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,538.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:04 pm
What's the point? We don't even use video tapes any more ;)
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 pm
Cyborg wrote:What's the point? We don't even use video tapes any more ;)

That's right. There are some titles they could use but it would still be pointless:

DVDDrome
BluRayDrome
USBDrome

The most realistic title for this reboot would be iDrome that is based on Apple. I know I'm being silly here but it's funny thinking how they can ruin this film. :lol:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:10 pm
John Travolta says he may doing the remake of The Killer

John Travolta may reunite with his “Face/Off” director John Woo for the English-language remake of “The Killer”, Screen Daily reports. Travolta, who also made “Broken Arrow” with Woo, was at the Zurich Film Festival when he announced he was “entertaining the possibility of doing” the film. The 3D remake of “The Killer”, which Woo will produce and John H Lee directs, will be backed by Essential Entertainment and Lions Rock Productions.

http://moviehole.net/201257816john-trav ... rhzCPJX.99
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am
I recently saw the remake of Footloose and I was amazed. I guess I was expecting a reboot or a sequel type of thing, but this was an actual remake. VERY few changes to the original and a lot of the memorable lines were there...as well as the yellow VW beetle. They had made a few changes, cut a few scenes and added others, but so much of the main story was there AND the original music. I had accidentally downloaded the original a week before thinking it was the remake, so it was all fresh in my mind.

But with all that, it did kind of leave me wondering: is there a point to remaking a movie if you're not really going to change that much? Hasn't it already been said and done in the original. Does this mean that all they're really doing with the remake is hoping to make more money with a second generation of movie goers?
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm
I think it's the following reasons as to why they do it -

1. Making money
2. Using 'today's' young stars and thus trying to pull today's audience in
3. Trying to get a new audience by using the original story and trying to make it better
4. Trying to fix/top the original and make it better, this rarely works and never works
5. Trying to get people interested on an old movie by seeing the new one, the old one
too and in hope of seeing if it makes enough money to makes a franchise out of it.

and I use the word 'trying' a lot because most of the time it ends up failing on all counts.

any other reasons?
Cash on hand: 30,587.50
Bank: 2,415,488.30
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:21 pm
And news has emerged of a proposed sequel to Casablanca, supposedly revolving around the illegitimate son of Rick and Ilsa.
Omg :X
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Emma Watson in Talks for Disney's "Cinderella" Movie

Two years ago, Mark Romanek (Never Let Me Go, One Hour Photo) was hired to direct Disney's live-action "Cinderella" remake. Since then, Romanek dropped out and was replaced by Kenneth Branagh (Thor).

The studio then started casting. Cate Blanchett was quickly brought on to play the wicket stepmother, but casting the lead proved to be difficult. Gabriella Wilde (The Three Musketeers), Imogen Poots (Need for Speed) and Alicia Vikander (Anna Karenina) were all considered to play Cinderella, but none of them worked out.

Variety has now learned that Disney is in talks with Emma Watson (Harry Potter) to play the title role. This is the second time the actress wanted to be in Disney's "Cinderella." In 2009, she was in talks to star in a musical that Marilyn Mason was planning to write and direct.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Disney Planning Live-Action Remake of "Beauty and the Beast," Similar to "Oz The Great and Powerful"

After the success of "Oz The Great and Powerful," Disney decided to re-imagine another popular property, "Beauty and the Beast." The studio just hired Joe Ahearne (Trance) to write a script for a new live-action version of the story.

Disney is calling the film "The Beast," and since Ahearne was chosen, many are assuming that the studio is aiming for much darker take. No word if this will be another prequel, like "Oz."

"Beauty and the Beast" is a French fairy tale from the 18th century. Just recently, Vanessa Hudgens starred in "Beastly," which is a modern version of the property. The CW then launched a "Beauty and the Beast" TV series. And Guillermo Del Toro is developing his own live-action film that has Emma Watson attached to star.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 am
TMT wrote:Like it or Not You'll Probably See a "Naked Gun" Remake, Maybe

David Zucker, producer of such acclaimed spoof films and comedies as Airplane!, The Naked Gun, and BASEketball, sat down to talk to Hollywood.com about his newest endeavor, Scary Movie 5, and in doing so decided that yeah, a reboot or continuation of Naked Gun would be a possible good idea.

"You could do another Naked Gun, with a reboot. Like Star Trek," Zucker says. The immediate retort is, really, how could anyone live up to Leslie Nielsen? "There are people who can do that and they're not famous. You wouldn't know who they were. But I know actors who can do it. Again, I think Paramount has an international brand in Naked Gunand I think there's something you can do." For now, he hopes to revive the spirit of Naked Gun rather than the actual property. "There's room for a Naked Gun style. A bumbling guy in a position where he's respected. Leslie Nielsen played Lieutenant Frank Drebin and nobody seemed to have a clue that he's an idiot. I want to do the character, but not the specific [job]. Not Naked Gun."

While it looks like Zucker doesn't intend on rebooting the actual Naked Gun franchise, the fact that this is an idea being tossed around is something no one wants, nor are they surprised by it.

Ideas and talk of a 4th Naked Gun film were being tossed around back in 2008 with a script written by "Sledge Hammer!" creator and script doctor Alan Spencer. These were obviously canned in 2010 with the untimely passing of Leslie Nielsen.

It won't be "Naked Gun" but they'll bring the style of comedy back which I'm glad is the case so far.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:15 pm
now this remake/reboot s**t is going way too far!!

just found out they are remaking The Butterfly Effect, already! it has only been 9 years :roll:

even Jean Claude Van Damme's movies aren't safe with Timecop being remade.
just announced, 2 more of his are being 'redone' - Bloodsport & Kickboxer

geez Hollywood, come up with some original ideas why don't ya! :x
they still haven't learned that people don't wanna see remakes.

I've heard reports of childhood classics Gremlins, Goonies and Neverending Story are also being remade.

http://moviehole.net/201366613van-damme ... ing-remade
http://moviehole.net/201366676the-films ... fly-effect
PreviousNext

Return to Movies