Remakes/Reboots (News & Rumours)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 10,108.10
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:47 pm
I wouldn’t want to do it now because people would be like, “Oh, there’s no way it will be as good as the original. But 30 years from now when Spielberg’s like 90 and those guys are kind of on their way out, and those movies just look really old because we’re watching movies that are old, literally in two dimensions or something, it would be great to have all these classics that you’re able to remake.

Actually it wouldn't be great. It would be terrible.

All those classics made 30-40 years ago are still great today because they ARE classics. Nothing is going to change that in 30 years. It's one thing to remake a shitty franchise like American Pie which is what these two world class directors did and it's a totally different thing remaking Back to the Future. Leave it the hell alone.

It makes me wonder if they're Chicago Cubs fans and they're not satisfied that the prophecy for 2015 wont be coming true.
Cash on hand: 17,535.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:03 pm
Im thinking the only reason they wanna do it is cause its nearing 2015, and we don't have flying cars yet :P

if they remade it and ended up making it set in todays world, part 1 would be going back to say the 80's instead of the 50's.
and part 2 if they made one would go into the future to say 2030 - 2045 or something, as thats quite far away.

we could have flying cars by then ;)
Cash on hand: 585.00
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:08 pm
Cyborg wrote:if they remade it and ended up making it set in todays world, part 1 would be going back to say the 80's instead of the 50's.
and part 2 if they made one would go into the future to say 2030 - 2045 or something, as thats quite far away.

we could have flying cars by then ;)

It is always funny to see old movies that have a future set in the 90s or 00s that assumed we'd have flying cars and far superior technology. Im guessing when 2030-45 does roll around we still wont have those flying cars. Im not fussy i'll settle for one that hovers. If they can manage that i'll be amazed!
Cash on hand: 9,840.30
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm
They also completely miss the point that older works can still be enjoyable and viewers can still suspend disbelief and go for the ride if we look at it as Alternate Reality Fiction, with a smidgeon of 'haha look what they thought was gonna happen' thrown in - theres heaps of pages about this on TVTropes.

Especially in this series with Time Travel playing a major part, Everyone fixates on the 'I want my Hoverboard in 2015' aspect but no one bats an eyelid at the 'alternate 1985' Biff creates for example. YMMV. :<|
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:54 pm
Yeah, one should think of the whole universe of Back to the Future as a skewed/alternate reality (Or alternate Reality Fiction as CTU puts it). Sure, it's 'partially in the Sci-Fi genre' but even then more Sci-Fi movies than not can be a bit 'far fetched' too. The Back to the Future series is a fun, escapist kind of ride - Infact it's as much a kind of 'fantasy' too, along with being classified as 'Adventure,' and I see it as much in the light of say other movies of the era like 'The Neverending Story,' in a way. As said, parts of even the scenes where it's set in the 50's and 80's are a little skewed from the 'actual realities' of those eras and we're even skirting over here the very fact of Doc and his wonderous invention - I guess he's your classic eccentric genius character and all, but people tripping over the portrayal of 2000, 2015 or so, yet don't bat an eyelid over the central premise of a time travelling car, lol.

BTW Many, MANY, films and TV Show do this, in terms of 'realities' a little skewed from 'realist reality,' or even documented one, as it makes for better entertainment, better for the genre it's in etc... E.g. 'Idealised realities,' 'fluffy realities,' 'overly gritty/dark,' 'The universe of Soap Operas' etc... It's a fact people don't usually want to watch 'their lives' on screen and again, even if it's a Drama set in contemporary times, you may notice some elements being 'hyper real' or a bit beyond belief - For example 'that character is too nice/like an angel,' 'too ridiculous/over the top,' 'characitured,' 'that character's actions/traits are not realistic' and the like.

Also about BTTF II, it's hardly the only one - Many pick out/point out Blade Runner and it's portrayal of flying cars for 2019 and even 2001 a Space Odyssey for it's colony on the moon.

But as some point out - Many presumed by the year 2000 or early 2000s that we would be a bit further progressed, given the rate of development, technological progress in the middle part of the century, especially during the WWII/Cold War period, with the Space Race and all. Many of us, including 2001 author Arthur C. Clark and co couldn't foresee the Moon program ending as it did in '74. Unfortunately the progress of that era wasn't sustained in some areas and we see with cars for instance, the grip oil/petrol still has on the market - Despite the technology of the electric cars being around commercially for the past 30 years. Many analysts have suggested than compared to the 50's and 60's, the rate of progress these past 20 years is slower, but then again all the progress has shifted in focus to the digital age, internet etc... which in itself progresses quick enough I guess. But not that much is new, just more refinining of older techs/designs I guess, even with the computer - and again, that makes sense, market/critical mass wise etc...

And on topic/thread - I must correct you Super-Blur > Hollywood has been doing this, more intensively, for the past 10-15 years. Hollywood's standards have been low a while and no, there seems little to nothing they won't touch, the boundaries eroded a while ago.

The final frontier of the bottomless pit will be once they dare touch Citizen Kane and/or Gone With the Wind or the like. :lol: Expecially Citizen Kane, often critics/pop culture have pointed out in cynicism/fear or what not that they remake alot of things, but they daren't try/touch Citizen Kane.

But with Hollywood having 'run out of ideas' 15 years or so ago, there won't be much left after they've gone through all the board games, lol, Battleship. Ah lol - I don't mind that, as it's like working with a blank canvass and it's not like too many would be offended/care about the portrayal of those kinds of sources, lol.

BTW My cynicism further re-inforced after seeing more of the 'Total Recall' remake. :/
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Cash on hand: 17,535.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 pm
Child’s Play spin-off Revenge of Chucky in the works!

I recently attended The Mad Monster Party in Charlotte, North Carolina, a horror and science-fiction convention that featured “Child’s Play” and “Blade Runner” reunion panels, as well as a discussion with ”The Walking Dead”’s Chandler Riggs (who plays Carl Grimes) and Addy Miller, who portrayed the show’s first zombie (the little teddy bear-toting girl that chases Rick). Here are some juicy bits of information:

There are reportedly two “Child’s Play” projects in the works: a remake and a spin-off of sorts involving Chucky’s immediate family, “Revenge of Chucky.” The reunion panel featured Alex Vincent, Brad Dourif and Chris Sarandon and Dourif confirmed that he’s involved in both projects but has not seen a script for the “Child’s Play” remake yet.

Don Mancini and David Kirschner have been planning to reboot the franchise for several years, and this remake will be written and directed by Mancini. The film will be a darker and scarier retelling of the original film, but one that will offer new twists and turns.

Revenge of Chucky won't work, interested to see what they come up with for the remake.

http://www.moviehole.net/201253637-the- ... -the-works
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 am
It will never happen... there are some things that you just do not mess with.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm
I'm saying this is a reboot because it won't follow the tv series. They started with Dragonball and now this.. Hollywood is raping my childhood! :evil:

Worst Previews wrote:"Sabrina The Teenage Witch" to Become Live-Action Superhero Film

Sony Pictures is developing a new movie based on "Sabrina The Teenage Witch," which originated as a 1960s Archie Comics, and later turned into an animated TV series in 1969, 1971, and in 1999. The property then became a TV sitcom, which ran for seven season and starred Melissa Joan Hart.

The new live-action film will be an origin story in the vein of "Spider-Man," about a young girl coming to terms with her remarkable powers. Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari (Die in a Gunfight) will write the script, "Real Steel" producers Don Murphy and Susan Montford are producing, and Mark Waters (Mean Girls, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Spiderwick Chronicles) is in talks to direct.

The plan is to cast an unknown actress to play Sabrina and to keep the talking black cat Salem, who is a transformed prince.

Man.. I'm staying with the tv series.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:24 pm
Moviehole wrote:Berg and Kruger remaking Cronenberg’s Videodrome

Commercials director Adam Berg will direct Uni’s remake of “Videodrome”.

The original David Cronenberg flick told of a station programmer that boosts ratings with a new series that sees folks getting tortured and killed for reals. The 1983 film was a precursor for things to come, it seems.

The remake, scripted by Ehren Kruger (“Scream 3″), will encompass a much bigger budget and utilize the elements of nano-technology, according to Deadline.

Don't know about you guys but this is now beyond ridiculous. Hollywood is just running a business, nothing more. An original idea for a film must be foreign to them now. Shocking. :roll:
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:15 pm
Yay! Let's ruin another classic!
PreviousNext

Return to Movies