Rouge One: A Star Wars Story (Spin-Off)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!

Screen Actors Guild Winner
Cash on hand: 72.50
Bank: 116,581.60
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 am
http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/10/e ... other.html

Oh My, i really really hope this is true.

People thought episodes 7-9 would never happen!

I'm really hoping like hell it is the Thrawn Trilogy from Timothy Zahn.

Lucas really should scrap the stupid idea he has for the tv show now and make the tv show a sequel to episode six involving minor characters and leading into the new film trilogy.
Set the trilogy and tv series 25 years after the original trilogy and you can then use the orginal actors in their roles.
Carrie fisher still looks good!
****"Unless you Puke, Faint or Die- KEEP WALKING!"
Jillian Michaels
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 90.00
Bank: 2,238,962.90
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:16 am
[quote:bf0bf7c5f4="[url=http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Lucasfilm-Denies-Plans-For-3D-Star-Wars-Movies-15391.html]Cinema Blend[/url]"][b:bf0bf7c5f4][size=18:bf0bf7c5f4]Lucasfilm Denies Plans for 3D [i:bf0bf7c5f4]Star Wars[/i:bf0bf7c5f4] Movies[/size:bf0bf7c5f4][/b:bf0bf7c5f4]

Last week there was a wild rumor floating around that George Lucas wanted to make three more Star Wars movies, in 3D, and with someone else directing them. Now, predictably, the Lucasfilm guys have denied it. [url=http://www.moviegeekfeed.com/2009/10/want-to-hear-official-answer-to-those.html]Movie Geek Feed[/url] talked to Lucasfilm's Head of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet, and he had a pretty strong denial to issue:
"It wasn't a news item. It was something that somebody made up. It's totally totally ignorant and stupid, and even the people who picked it up and spread it along, said there's no way this can be true. And of course there's no way it can be true. You shouldn't believe what you read on the Internet. Take everything with a big grain of salt."

Of course, it's pretty much what everyone expected to be the case from the beginning, and the Lucasfilm guys are good at covering up whatever plans they have on a regular basis. But I think it's pretty safe to assume at this point that three more Star Wars movies aren't happening, even if Lucas is pretty likely to tinker with 3D at some point in the future. You can watch the video with Sansweet's denial, around the 3 minute mark, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiM-bkfnrQ&feature=player_embedded]here[/url].[/quote:bf0bf7c5f4]
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 pm
Collider wrote:STAR WARS Spinoff to Be Directed by GODZILLA Helmer Gareth Edwards; December 16, 2016 Release Set

After the gargantuan success of Legendary and Warner Bros.’ Godzilla, many figured that director Gareth Edwards’ next step would be a sequel to the monster movie. After all, Godzilla 2 was recently confirmed as being in the works and Edwards had been catapulted into the director’s chair of a massive studio tentpole after helming a tiny, tiny budget sci-fi drama called Monsters. He steered Godzilla to both commercial and critical acclaim, but it appears that Legendary and WB weren’t the only ones to take notice, as Edwards has now been enlisted to take the helm of one of the Star Wars spinoff films.

[Update: We've also added a statement from Legendary CEO Thomas Tull regarding the Godzilla sequels.]

Heat Vision broke the news that Edwards will next direct the first Star Wars spinoff film, and Lucasfilm subsequently confirmed Edwards’ involvement, adding that the pic will open in theaters in 3D on December 16, 2016. Due to the highly secretive nature of the Star Wars franchise, it’s unclear exactly which film Edwards will be directing, but previous rumors have claimed that Lucasfilm is prepping standalone films about Boba Fett, Yoda, and Han Solo.

As a big fan of Edwards’ approach to Godzilla, I think this is an inspired choice. The filmmaker brought something fresh and inventive to the blockbuster tentpole genre, and I can’t wait to see what he does within the Star Wars universe.

Though Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg were enlisted to pen the scripts of these spinoff films a while ago, Lucasfilm notes that Book of Eli and After Earth screenwriter Gary Whitta is writing the script for Edwards’ spinoff. Most recently, Disney CEO Bob Iger confirmed that they would be making “at least” three spinoff movies, poised to be released in between the main franchise installments. With this one already set for 2016, we can bet that Episode VIII will hit in December 2017, followed by another spinoff in 2018, and so on and so forth.

“The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the Star Wars universe.”

Read the full official press release below. Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, opens in theaters on December 18, 2015.

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year’s smash hit Godzilla.

“Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life — join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm,” said Edwards.

Gary Whittas screenwriting credits include 2010′s The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, “From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I’m still pinching myself.”

Title will be changed once it's announced.
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:14 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Update: Actresses Being Tested for First Star Wars Standalone Movie

UPDATE: Variety‘s Justin Kroll has tweeted that the fourth actress who tested was Rooney Mara’s sister, Kate Mara. Kate has four movies coming to theaters in 2015, including Captive, The Fantastic Four, Man Down, and The Martian. The original story follows:

While J.J. Abrams is putting the finishing touches on Star Wars: The Force Awakens for its release on December 18, things are already moving forward on the first Star Wars standalone film with The Hollywood Reporter‘s Heat Vision reporting that actresses are being tested for the female lead in the Gareth (Godzilla) Edwards-directed film.

Canadian actress Tatiana Maslany (left), who has made huge waves playing multiple clones in BBC America’s hit series “Orphan Black,” and Rooney Mara (right), nominated for an Oscar for her performance in David Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, are two of the names being mentioned with The Theory of Everything‘s Oscar-nominated star Felicity Jones also on the short list.

THR’s Borys Kit says that Jones may have scheduling issues as she’s already pegged to co-star in the Da Vinci Code sequel Inferno opposite Tom Hanks and directed by Ron Howard.

There still has been no word on who the focal character of the first of the planned stand-alone “Star Wars” movies will be, although Disney and Lucasfilm have already snagged the release date of December 16, 2016. They’re currently looking for a writer to step-in following the departure of Gary Whitta after turning in his draft.

A second stand-alone movie being co-written by Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan will be helmed by Chronicle helmer Josh Trank, who is currently finishing up his relaunch of The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:37 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Chris Weitz Boards Gareth Edwards’ Standalone Star Wars Film

Following the departure of formerly attached screenwriter Gary Whitta earlier this month, Walt Disney Pictures and Lucasfilm, Ltd. have, according to a story today at The Hollywood Reporter, set Academy Award nominee Chris Weitz to work on the screenplay for the first standalone Star Wars film. Godzilla helmer Gareth Edwards remains attached to direct the project, which is scheduled for a December 16, 2016 release.

Weitz launched his screenwriting career with the 1998 animated comedy Antz. He’s best known, however, for his Oscar nominated work adapting Nick Hornby’s About a Boy in 2002, a film that he also directed. Other directorial credits include The Golden Compass in 2007 and The Twilight Saga: New Moon in 2009. As a screenwriter, Weitz’ work can next be seen in Walt Disney Pictures live action take on Cinderella, directed by Kenneth Branagh and slated for a March 13 release.

Although the mysterious Star Wars film has been rumored to follow a heist involving the theft of the Death Star plans, few official details regarding Edwards’ film have been made available. The project appears to be close to the casting stage, however, with a report from last week suggesting that actresses like Tatiana Maslany, Felicity Jones and Kate and Rooney Mara have all read for a potential role.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:50 pm
Collider wrote:Felicity Jones Eyed for STAR WARS Spin-Off; Aaron Paul and Edgar Ramirez on Wishlist to Co-Star

Last month, we reported that Gareth Edwards‘ Star Wars spin-off was eyeing Felicity Jones, Rooney Mara, and Tatiana Maslany for the lead role. THR now reports that the production is now in talks with Jones to play the female lead. Maslany and Mara had tested for the role, but there was doubt about Jones since she’s signed on to do Ron Howard‘s Da Vinci Code sequel, Inferno, this spring and summer. Apparently, that’s not too much of an obstacle to get to a galaxy far, far away.

Unsurprisingly, there are no details about the plot, especially since screenwriter Chris Weitz (Twilight: New Moon) was brought on to replace Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) on handling the script. There had been rumors about the spin-off being a Dirty Dozen-style film about a group of bounty hunters trying to retrieve the plans for the Death Star. But there’s been no confirmation of that, and since we’re still trying to learn the particulars of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I wouldn’t expect any hard details on the Star Wars spin-off anytime soon.

While we assumed that the spin-off would be a welcome change-up by having a female lead, it turns out there’s also a male lead in the mix as well. According to THR, Aaron Paul and Edgar Ramirez are on the wishlist to play the part, and it’s unclear whether it’s the male character or the female one who takes point on the story. We previously reported that Paul might have expressed interest in being involved in a spin-off featuring a young Han Solo.

Although Mara and Maslany are fine actresses, Jones has the benefit of coming off a recent Oscar nomination for her performance in The Theory of Everything, and she’s lined up not only Inferno, but she’ll be co-starring in J.A. Bayona‘s A Monster Calls with Liam Neeson and Toby Kebbell. She’ll next be seen alongside Jonah Hill and James Franco in True Story, but as I said in my review, it’s a nothing role that’s far beneath her talents.

The untitled Star Wars spin-off is due out December 16, 2016.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:40 pm
Collider wrote:STAR WARS Spinoff Titled STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE; Felicity Jones Confirmed to Star

In addition to revealing the Star Wars: Episode VIII release date, Disney has also announced that the first Star Wars spinoff will be titled Star Wars: Rogue One, and that Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything) is the first actress to be cast. In their press release, StarWars.com also notes that the idea for the film take from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. Gareth Edwards will direct Chris Weitz‘s script.

Now that we have a title, let’s play the speculation game! Let’s start off by recapping rumors.

The first rumor was that the plot was a Dirty Dozen-style heist mission where a group of bounty hunters went to retrieve the plans for the Death Star. That premise sounded amazing because it went to an unknown corner of the mythology, it sounded like a story worth telling, and it didn’t leech off the main characters. It expanded the Star Wars universe, which is the best thing these spinoffs can do.

But then in December we got the disheartening rumor that the spinoff would focus on a young Han Solo as if A) anyone but Harrison Ford could play Han Solo (even looking ahead at Star Wars: The Force Awakens, I’m not even sure Ford can still play the Han Solo we all know and love); and B) we care what Han Solo was up to when he was younger.

Now let’s to read tealeaves from this new title. I’m going to go ahead and assume that “Rogue One” refers to a spaceship. Even though it’s not canon, the 1998 video game Star Wars: Rogue Squadron was about a group of X-Wing fighters. Additionally, in the Star Wars universe, spaceships usually have numbers tacked on to words (e.g. “Red Five” for Luke’s X-Wing in A New Hope; “Slave I” is the name of Boba Fett’s ship).

[Update: Mike Ryan over at Uproxx and his superior Star Wars knowledge reminded me that Luke and his fellow pilots take on the designation “Rogue” in Empire Strikes Back, and Luke was “Rogue Leader”, which could be “Rogue One”. Then Wedge took over the position of “Rogue Leader” in Return of the Jedi.

Wedge–being Luke’s friend from A New Hope, being the only pilot other than Luke and Han to survive the assault on the Death Star, and his participation in all three original trilogy movies–is a fan favorite character.]

So where does Jones’ character fit in? Also, is she even the main character? The press release states that she’s the first actress cast, not that she’s the lead. We previously reported that although Jones was being eyed for a role, Aaron Paul and Edgar Ramirez were on a wish list to co-star. I’ll at least take comfort in the fact that the first person cast for a Star Wars movie was a woman. Progress!

Here’s the pertinent section of the press release:

"Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016."
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:12 pm
Superhero Hype wrote:Ben Mendelsohn Rumored for Star Wars Spinoff Rogue One

There’s a new rumor hitting today via Deadline that suggests that Ben Mendelsohn (The Dark Knight Rises, Killing Them Softly) is up for a role in the upcoming first standalone Star Wars film, Rogue One. If it pans out, Mendelsohn will join previously announced headliner Felicity Jones in the Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) film.

Official details on Rogue One are few, although the idea for the story is said to have come from John Knoll, the Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor who currently serves as chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. Kroll is executive producing the film along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (“Band of Brothers,” “The Pacific”) are on board to produce with John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) attached to co-produce. It was also recently confirmed that Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel, The King’s Speech) will be providing the score.

Fans can currently check out Mendelsohn on the new Netflix series “Bloodline” where he stars alongside Kyle Chandler, Linda Cardellini, Norbert Leo Butz, Jacinda Barrett, Jamie McShane, Enrique Murciano, Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek. All 13 season one episodes premiered on the streaming service just days ago.
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:13 am
Collider wrote:STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE Teaser Trailer Reveals Story and Death Star

Today at Star Wars Celebration, producer Kathleen Kennedy, Lucasfilm’s vice president of development Kiri Hart, and director Gareth Edwards unveiled a teaser trailer for the first Star Wars anthology film Star Wars: Rogue One. While the film is still in preproduction and hasn’t started shooting yet, the trailer features footage created entirely by ILM – including a gorgeous shot of the Death Star looming over the horizon of an unknown planet.

Star Wars: Rogue One, starring Felicity Jones as a rebel soldier, centers on a rogue band of resistance fighters who unite to steal the Death Star plans and bring new hope to the galaxy. Edwards also revealed that Rogue One takes place between episodes 3 and 4, in a time when the Jedi is all but extinct and the fate of the galaxy lies in the hands of a group of heroes without magical powers. Star Wars: Rogue One is set to hit theaters in December 2016. Check out some fan footage of the teaser trailer below:

For sure we're getting a return appearance from Ian McDiarmid who played the Emperor, James Earl Jones voicing Darth Vader and probably a cameo from Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan because technically he's keeping an eye on Luke on Tatooine at this point in time. But I do hope he gets a solo film because he was definitely one of the good parts of the prequels. Awesome! I'm thinking Felicity Jones could be Leia?
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,218.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 am
first Trailer -

not a Star Wars fan, in no rush to see it.
Next

Return to Movies