'Halloween 3D' in Theaters by Summer of 2010
Thanks to our boy BC and his incredible hawk eyes for catching an article over at the LA Times that will make Michael Myers fans very happy. Apparently, Rob Zombie hasn't put an end to franchise as the Weinstein brothers are already planning a return to Haddonfield in 2010 with Halloween 3D. While Halloween II only opened at the #3 spot this weekend, had it not started a fist fight with The Final Destination, it would have easily taken the top spot and make over $30m. The Weinsteins knows this and are quickly making plans for a third film. Read on for the skinny and then talk about who you'd like to see take the reigns. Who could make Myers even better?
From the LA Times:
""Halloween II" may not have won the box office this weekend, but Weinstein Co. is taking a lesson from the movie that did as it prepares a sequel for next summer.
The independent studio's co-Chairman Bob Weinstein said today that the 3-D sequel, titled, appropriately enough, "Halloween 3D," is in development.
The investment it takes to shoot movies in digital 3-D has proved particularly lucrative for horror films. For "The Final Destination," this weekend's No. 1 movie, theaters with at least one 3-D screen earned 3.25 times as much as those that showed the movie in 2-D only, according to distributor Warner Bros. That's substantially higher than for other recent releases. The equivalent 3-D multiple for last month's "G-Force," for instance, was only 1.7 on its first weekend. For July's "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" it was 1.4 andm for June's "Up" it was 2.2. January horror flick "My Bloody Valentine" earned 6.4 times as much from 3-D theaters as it did from 2-D on its opening weekend.
Weinstein said Rob Zombie, who directed "Halloween II" and 2007's reboot of the 31-year-old horror series, won't return for "Halloween 3-D." He said the studio is in negotiations with a new director, whom he declined to name, who has experience in horror and has a "different take" on the franchise."
RUMOR: 'Halloween 3D' Director Name Being Thrown Around
I don't like to post rumors that we haven't checked out yet, but other websites are already reporting the rumor, so we might as well too. A reader by the name of "The Egg Man" e-mailed all of us claiming that they know who is directing Halloween 3D, which was just announced yesterday after a less than stellar opening weekend for Michael Myers. Read on to see what our reader has heard and remember to keep this filed under rumor until we confirm.
From THE EGG MAN:
"I figured I would let you in on a little info that came my way via my agent. I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but if it is, it wouldn't surprise me.
Word is, that the person who will be directing this next film, not only has horror experience, but also has experience with Michael Myers, and 3-D films as well.
I heard that Dimension is in negotiations with STEVE MINER to come back to the franchise. Steve directed Halloween:H20, as well as Friday the 13th parts II and III. Do whatever you want with this info. If you choose to use it, feel free to call me THE EGG MAN."
Well, we've got an e-mail out to Mr. Miner and will let you know what he says as soon as he returns. Miner also directed the Day of the Dead direct-to-DVD release from First Look.
The reason I DON'T believe this rumor is that I've been doing some heavy digging since it was announced and have learned that Dimension Films might have actually jumped the gun on the announcement, and still have yet to decide if they're doing it or not.
As always, we'll keep you posted, and remember RUMOR, RUMOR, RUMOR.
Patrick Lussier in Talks for 'Halloween 3D'
Since when does Variety jump on stories that aren't confirmed? I guess we're entering a new era. Bloody Disgusting caught up with My Bloody Valentine 3D director Patrick Lussier last week to confirm a rumor we were told that he was in talks for Dimension Films' Halloween 3D. He confirmed he WAS in talks, but it sounded like no definite plans were coming anytime soon, so we filed the story away until something more solid came in. We had also heard Alex Aja was in talks, but debunked that as quickly as we heard it. Fact is, we're also hearing the movie is far from greenlit, even though the Weinstein Company jumped on a 2010 date for Michael Myers' return to theaters. Hey, if they can get it going, all the power to 'em. What would you think of Lussier directing?
Writer and Director Confirmed for 'Halloween 3D'
Bloody Disgusting & Dread Central received confirmed word this evening that Patrick Lussier has officially signed the dotted line to direct Halloween 3D for Dimension Films. He'll be heading to Haddonfield with Todd Farmer, who will be penning the screenplay. The duo previously worked together on MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D for Lionsgate, making them perfect candidates to bring Michael Myers to theaters in 3D. Shooting is scheduled for this fall. What do you guys think of the news?
'Halloween 3D' Postponed?
I was a big fan of Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer's My Bloody Valentine 3D, and the announcement that they were going to tackle the next chapter in the increasingly convoluted Halloween series was music to my ears. But according to Nikki Finke, we might have to wait longer to see what they are going to bring to the table. Says Finke, "Bob Weinstein shut down H3D pre-production "because Bob just felt it was rushing too fast.". Indeed, I was a bit worried that the seeming rush to get the film in production would result in a compromised film (the same sort of rush didn't help H2 any), so this is actually good news. Let's just hope Weinstein doesn't change his mind and put the film into production while Lussier is busy on another film. Clink the link for more info. Finke also reports H2 will be back in theaters this Halloween for midnight screenings, which I think is- COW!!!