The X-Files 3

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 90.00
Bank: 2,238,962.90
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:21 am
Movie Hole wrote:Spotnitz talks X-Files 3

My wife should really be the one writing up this item, being the "X-Files" nut she is, but alas, she's too busy sketching a charcoal portrait of The Cigarette Smoking Man to be bothered.

So here I go, Mr. Doesn't know his Billy Myles from his Samantha-Mulders..

Series EP Frank Spotnitz, also the scribe of this Summer's "X-Files : I Want to Believe", informs the 'x-philes' and 'shippers' on scifimoviepage.com that a third and final film is defnitely something he'd be keen to do - so long as the studio supports it (what!? he doesn't want to cash in his superannuation and life insurance policy to finance it himself?).

And Spotnitz already has the story.

“As you know the date of December 2012 is an important one in The X-Files, and I'd like to focus on that.”

So make that another movie about the end of the world and alien colonization in 2012.

Spotnitz says there's will be a totally different film than Roland Emmerich's ID4-esque "2012" so he doesn't see the latter, starring John Cusack and Danny Glover, as any kind of threat or competition.

"They won't be directly in competition as they are very different genres."

As I - and my Duchovny-luvin Mrs - understand it, Fox and everyone involved in the franchise are waiting to see how many copies of the "I Want to Believe" DVD and Blu-Ray sell before they start pouring money (and hopefully a little more than they donated towards the last film) into the next movie sequel. Makes sense, considering how many bites Batman took out of Billy Connolly's shady priest this past year.
Last edited by Robot on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cash on hand: 8,040.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:03 am
I really hope this happens. An X Files 3 alien invasion movie would be great.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 pm
Just about anything would be better than the one that came out this year... :roll:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:46 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Gillian Anderson Talks "X-Files 3"

Gillian Anderson made an appearance at the Sarajevo Film Festival where she spoke briefly about the "X-Files" and whether there is any potential of a third feature film.

"They talked about maybe doing it in 2012," she said. "I think there were discussions about that. I don't know whether that's going to happen or not, but there isn't any reason not to do it. It was fun, it was hard work. I feel a certain commitment to that group of people that I worked with and we still enjoy doing it, when we do it. There is no reason why not to come together and do it again. If they can pull it off, we'll find some reason to make it."

The first "X-Files" film was released back in 1998 and earned almost $190 million in worldwide ticket sales. Last year's sequel barely made $68 million, but it still more than doubled its budget.
Last edited by Robot on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Globe Winner
Cash on hand: 15.00
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:51 pm
If it happens, i imagine it'll be on an even lower budget than the second.
Reality is, it pretty much tanked at the box office :(
[uf7][bf7][if7]Dollhouse[/if7] - Next Episode 'Vows' [/bf7][/uf7]
Buffy | Angel | Firefly | Dollhouse | The X-Files | Battlestar Galactica | Love My Way | Weeds | Six Feet Under | Twin Peaks | Dexter | Dead Like Me | Veronica Mars | Family Guy | Scrubs | Deadwood | The Wire | Desperate Housewives | Damages | 24 | American Dad | Skins | Rome | Arrested Development | 30 Rock | The Comeback |
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:57 pm
Hopefully if they decide to go with an alien invasion story it'll get a massive budget.

We can only hope :D
Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 102.50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:14 am
This is something I have been following for some time, being the die-hard fan that I am. At the moment an XF3 does seem to be a lot of conjecture, a lot of he said she said but without any concrete evidence it is going to happen.

The last movie did not do well. Plain and simple. But that's probably because Chris Carter wrote the whole thing in a week. It was a 'Monster of the Week' type movie when most fans were expecting, or hoping for, a mythology type movie. And releasing it the same weekend as Dark Knight was not the smartest move.

If a 3rd movie is made, it has to follow on from the 2012 colonisation date introduced in the last episode of the series. I think a low budget movie will still work as Fight The Future was made for about $60M and turned out great (in my opinion), but the writers definitely need to spend a decent amount of time on it such that it appeals to both fans and newbs alike.

Phew. There, I've said my piece.
Watching: X-Files | Castle | Big Bang Theory | Fringe | Buffy | Torchwood
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 am
Worst Previews wrote:David Duchovny Talks "X-Files 3"

David Duchovny spoke to The Daily Beast about a possible third "X-Files" movie, saying that it would be great if another installment would appear in theaters by 2012.

"As far as the X-Files movie I'd like to do next, if we get a chance to do it, would be a return to the heart and soul of the mythology, which is the alien-oriented conspiracy," said Duchovny. "I think it's natural for 'The X-Files' to have another movie in 2012, so we'll see if we get to do it."

Back in August, Duchovny's co-star Gillian Anderson also said that the third film may end up in theaters by 2012. "They talked about maybe doing it in 2012," she stated. "I think there were discussions about that. I don't know whether that's going to happen or not, but there isn't any reason not to do it."

The first "X-Files" film was released back in 1998 and earned almost $190 million in worldwide ticket sales. Last year's sequel barely made $68 million, but it still more than doubled its budget.
Last edited by Robot on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sopranos Mobster
Cash on hand: 302.50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:33 pm
I really hope they make another X-Files movie. It looks promising. Here is some more great news from last week I think that hasn't been posted here. News out of X-Con, Frank Spotnitz has left a message for Fans who attended saying he *hopes* he has news for Fans in the coming months! View the video here:
http://network.biglight.com/video/franks-message-to-xcon

So I hope its good news about the next X-Files movie. And I agree they really have to take their time writting and developing the script and making it perfect. Not a rush job like IWTB. It will be very exciting to get that second chance for the X-Files movie we all wanted to see.
Save The Bill Facebook Petition -
http://www.facebook.com/SaveTheBill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:51 am
Worst Previews wrote:David Duchovny Says "X-Files 3" is Being Written

French website TVMag caught up with David Duchovny and asked him for an update on the third "X-Files" movie, which the actor previously said would focus on December 2012, an important date in the franchise.

"It is being written," said the actor, adding: "We're waiting for the green light from 20th Century Fox, which is a little disappointed by the relatively poor reception of the second film. The mistake, in my opinion, is that the writers strayed too far from the roots of the series. Plus the film was released in the summer. The third movie will be much closer to what the fans are used to, which is government conspiracies, etc..."

Both Duchovny and Gillian Anderson have expressed interest in returning for the third film, which is likely aiming to hit theaters at the end of 2012 to match up with the rumored "end of the world" storyline.
Next

Return to Movies