General Movie News & Rumours

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 16,970.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm
yep, that's right. they are actually are remaking just about every 80s movie!

Donnie Brasco scribe penning Scarface remake

Paul Attanasio (“Donnie Brasco”) is rewriting David Ayer’s “Scarface” remake script, says Deadline.
The new film, said to combine elements of both the 1930′s and 1980′s versions of “Scarface”, is being produced by Marc Shmuger and Martin Bregman. No director is onboard yet.
It may seem like sacrilege and cheek to remake the classic “Scarface”, but remember, the 1983 film was actually a remake itself (of a classic Howard Hawks movie). Still, it will be hard for any actor to top Al Pacino’s memorable performance as Tony Montana in that last version.

http://moviehole.net/201258834donnie-br ... ace-remake
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,571,987.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:08 pm
Worst Previews wrote:"Mass Effect" Video Game Film is Moving Forward

Legendary Entertainment is moving forward with a film based on the "Mass Effect" video game franchise by hiring Morgan Davis Foehl to write the script. Mark Protosevich (Thor, I Am Legend) provided the first version of the script when Legendary acquired the rights to the property back in 2008.

Foehl was an assistant editor on Adam Sander comedies "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" and "Click." But then he wrote a script for "Whatever Gets You Through the Night," which landed on 2009's Black List, which is a list of the best unproduced screenplays.

The first "Mass Effect" game takes place in 2183 and revolves around a human space commander who leads a team on a mission to defeat an ancient race of mechanized aliens that invade the galaxy every 50,000 years, wiping out all forms of organic life.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,571,987.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm
Worst Previews wrote:Warner Bros Considering "Casablanca" Sequel

According to NYPost, Warner Bros is considering developing a sequel to the 1942 classic "Casablanca." The new movie is called "Return to Casablanca" and is based on a treatment written in the 1980s by Howard Koch, the screenwriter of the original movie.

The project is being pursued by Cass Warner, the granddaughter of one of the Warner Bros founders. The studio hasn't fully committed to the film, but would be willing to take a look at it if Cass can find a filmmaker worthy of such a movie.

Plot: After leaving Casablanca for America, Ilsa learned she was pregnant. She gave birth to a boy who grew up in America. The real father of the boy was not Laszlo but Rick. The secret was not kept from Laszlo, but being the kind of man he was and owing so much to Rick, he adopted the child and treated him as his own son. The boy was named Richard, and he grew up to be a handsome, tough-tender young man reminiscent of his father. He had been told the truth about his origin and has a deep desire to find his real father, or at least more about him, since Rick's heroic actions in Casablanca have become legendary.

Most of the film will take place in the 1960s and focus on a 20-year-old Richard who comes to Casablanca to find out the truth about his father following the deaths of Ilsa and Laszlo.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 16,970.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:28 pm
has Hollywood gone mad?! they officially have run out of ideas!!

Weird Science being remade!

I’m as disgusted as a department store clerk forced to wash bubble gum from ladies knickers, but I’m also rather intrigued (just as they would be).

A remake of John Hughes’ classic “Weird Science” (yes, I thought remakes of John Hughes movies were a sealed-off zone, too!) is in the works, with “21 Jump Street” scribe Michael Bacall planning to dirty up the PG-13 template with a racier reworking of the 1985 hit.

The project is being spearheaded by Joel Silver – not a name you’d normally associate with comedies. Silver, the action vet behind flicks such as “Die Hard”, “Predator”, “Lethal Weapon” and “Commando” had crossed over into the horror realm in recent years with flicks like “House of Wax” and “The Factory”, but laffers aren’t his usual bag. So why’s he on this? He’s gotta be. He produced the original! Yep, then 33-year-old Silver had his seventh producing effort on Hughes’ “Weird Science”.

Universal, home of the original “Weird Science”, seem to think a R-Rated/Silver/Bacall version is worth doing so have given it the stamp of approval and namely, the bucks, to push on.

The original film, a comedic take on the “Frankenstein” stories, told of two teenagers who ‘create’ their dream girl using their computer. Ilan Mitchell-Smith and Anthony Michael Hall played the teens, with Kelly Le Brock playing their self-created object of affection. The supporting cast included then-unknowns Robert Downey Jr and Bill Paxton.

Hollywood has stayed away from remaking John Hughes’s movies – until now. Though there have been rumours of remakes and sequels (a “16 Candles” sequel, supposedly involving the original cast, didn’t make it to the cameras; a spec script serving as a “Ferris Bueller 2″ also didn’t appeal to the Hughes’ estate) to his hits, besides a loose reboot of “Vacation” and those unremitting “Beethoven” and “Home Alone” follow-ups, his ’80s gems have largely remained protected by a devoted fan base and legal team.

Of all of Hughes’s teen classics, I guess – if even because it’s already been turned into a TV series, which didn’t lead anyone to picket – “Weird Science” is the safest one to do. We love it, but not in the same way we do, say, “16 Candles”, “Breakfast Club”, “Pretty in Pink” or “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” (not a teen movie, I know, but still one of the man’s best) – when Hollywood finally gets around to redoing them, and you know they will, you’ll definitely read some heated ALL-CAPITALS complaints on the www.

http://moviehole.net/201363858weird-sci ... wpXpAOP.99

John Hughes would be spinning in his grave.

Logie Nominee
Cash on hand: 37.50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:21 pm
As far as I was concerned at the time, Kelly Le Brock was the ultimate perfection in the original movie... and I still don't see how anyone could do any better. So why bother?
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 29,909.00
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 pm
Collider wrote:GILLIGAN’S ISLAND Movie Surfaces with Josh Gad Writing and Starring for Warner Bros.

Fresh off of his Frozen performance as an animated snowman, Josh Gad is set to star in Warner Bros.’ big-screen adaptation of Gilligan’s Island. The project has been in the works for some time; we last reported on it almost four years ago. The title property was a 1960s TV series about seven castaways who took a three-hour tour about the S.S. Minnow only to wind up stranded on a tropical island after a terrible storm. We’re not sure just which of the seven roles Gad will take on, but I’d put money on either Gilligan or the Skipper. Gad is also writing the screenplay along with Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez. Hit the jump for more.

Deadline reports that Warner Bros. has set Gad to write and star in their Gilligan’s Island adaptation. The original series, created by Sherwood Schwartz, starred Bob Denver as Gilligan, Alan Hale Jr. as Skipper, Jim Backus and Natalie Schafer as Thurston and Lovey Howell, Dawn Wells as Mary Ann, and Tina Louise as Ginger.

:lol: I don't believe it...
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,349.10
Bank: 599,767.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 pm
Who do we think could play the roles :?:
Gilligan -
Skipper - John Goodman
Thurston Howell III -
Mrs Howell -
Mary Ann - Kaley Cuoco
Ginger - Alicia Witt
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:37 am
Worst Previews wrote:LeBron James Says Nobody Approached Him About "Space Jam 2"

Back in August, NBA star LeBron James revealed on Twitter that he would love to make a sequel to "Space Jam," the 1996 film featuring Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny.

Then on Friday came word that Warner Bros was developing "Space Jam 2" as a starring vehicle for James. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell this to the Miami Heat star, as news reports immediately began trickling in of James refuting the sequel stories.

In a new interview with the Sun Sentinel, James revealed that he hasn't even had one discussion with the studio about "Space Jam 2," but is open to the idea.

"It's news to me," he explained. "I haven't heard anything about it. Like I said, I've always loved 'Space Jam.' It was one of my favorite movies growing up. If I have the opportunity, it will be great. But that's news to me. We'll see what happens."
Bafta Winner
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:08 pm
Collider wrote:GREEN ACRES Movie Coming to the Big Screen and Possibly Broadway

If the countryside and farm livin’ is the life for you, then Green Acres is probably right up your alley. You may or may not be happy to know that the 60s television series is now making its way to the big screen, with a possible Broadway adaptation on the way as well. Property rights to the sitcom that featured a wealthy New York couple moving to the Midwest town of Hooterville were recently acquired by series helmer Richard L. Bare and producer Phillip Goldfine.

Green Acres starred Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor as Oliver Wendell and Lisa Douglas, a Manhattan lawyer and his socialite wife respectively. While the show’s humor was derived from the misunderstandings between the well-to-do urbanites and the simple countryfolk, something tells me that approach might not go over so well in today’s economic climate.

Deadline reports that Bare and Goldfine are currently looking to hire a writer/director for a feature adaptation of Green Acres. In addition to the Douglases, the show also featured “Sam Drucker, the smart aleck who owned the general store; Ed Dobson the innocent, bumbling farmhand; Hank Kimball, a not-so-bright county agent; and Mr. Haney, a sleazy salesman with an unsteady, cracking voice.” Then, of course, there were the Ziffels and their adopted son, Arnold … who just so happened to be a pig that might have been smarter than anyone else in the county. Green Acres joins Gilligan’s Island and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. as the latest 60s shows bound for the big screen.

If the theme song isn’t already stuck in your head, it’s about to be!

John Slattery from 'Mad Men' will fit in nicely here.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,349.10
Bank: 599,767.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:59 am
NOT ANOTHER ONE!!

Why can't hey just leave these classic shows alone.

Every remake destroys their storylines.
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
PreviousNext

Return to Movies