Point Break (2015)

News updates and discussions on new releases and old faves. Also check out the database to find all your favourite movies!
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:49 pm
Knowing that I'm a huge fan of Point Break one of my friends emailed me these today. I can't believe I haven't heard about this earlier.

[quotef8]
15 May 2007

[bf8]Point Break 2 filming in Singapore[/bf8]

Terminal Velocity 2 heading to Nambia

Promising to unleash a wave of anticipation not seen since the lead-up to Star Wars: Episode I, producers have announced a sequel to 1991's Keanu Reeves-Patrick Swayze surfer movie Point Break – to be shot in Singapore.

The film will be written and directed by Point Break's writer Mark Iliff, who we can only assume has been on a stoned 16-year beach odyssey affording him the langorous response time of a surfer. There's no word yet as to whether Keanu will be sliding back ino that sexy wetsuit but we're sure Patrick Swayze and Lori Petty will be more than happy for the work. The story will pick up after the first and we'll learn the fate of Bodhi – played by Swayze in the first movie – who was subsumed by a mammoth wave off the coast of Australia (and some really bad accents). [/quotef8]

http://www.empireonline.com.au/news/sto ... 1000000814

[quotef8]
[bf8]Bodhi returns for Point Break 2[/bf8]

Date : May 14, 2007 Posted By : Clint Morris

This one’s sure to put a smile on Edgar Wright’s dial.

A sequel to the undeniably cheesy yet so-shamelessly-appealing “Point Break” (1991) is in the works.

The writer of the original film, Peter Iliff, tells Channel News Asia that the new film will be set in Asia. He also announced he’d be directing the movie.

“There was some worry that re-visiting the characters I wrote back in 1987 would infuriate fans of the original chapter," confessed the L.A based-writer.

"I would like to return to Point Break because it represents my career coming full circle. The original was the first movie I ever wrote, the sequel would be my first ever directorial effort."

Though Keanu Reeves’ character, Johnny Utah, isn’t expected to return, Patrick Swayze’s Bodhi does (so, what, he never got swept up into the waves after all?).

RGM Films will produce the $30 million dollar movie.

"We are extremely excited about making the sequel to a movie that was well received and highly regarded by audiences all around the world," said RGM’s chief executive Devesh Chetty.

The new film is said to fix on ex-professional surfer who enlists in the US Navy and is recruited to track down a criminal gang based in South-East Asia.[/quotef8]

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20070514_ ... break.html

This is not a movie I was expecting a sequel to :shock:
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"
News Anchor
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:51 pm
yeah im extremely excited for this, i love most of Iliffs work and Point Break is in my top 20 fav movies of all time.
hopefully even without the help of Bigelow and Cameron the film still turns out good.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 pm
Hmm meh. Not keen on a sequel. I love the original movie aswell. It's like one of those iconic early 90s movies and one of the best movies that feature surfing ever :P .

Here's a cool trailer for the original, reminding us, or showing those who are uninitiated, how cool the movie is:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-Fso2EZq8
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 3,802.60
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:53 pm
I'd forgotten about this. Havent heard anything else about it. Must have been a fake :shrug:
"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer"

Oscar Presenter
Cash on hand: 1,172.20
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:29 pm
On Imdb.org it says Point Break 2 is set for a release date of 2009. Weird that they would announce a sequel 2 years before it actually comes out.
Cash on hand: 17,453.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:06 pm
technically not a sequel but a kind of reboot, no point in creating a new thread. might as well use this one and edit the title.

heres some old-ish news articles -

Warner Bros. remaking Keanu Reeves/Patrick Swayze 1991 action film 'Point Break'

Though the 1991 surfing/action film "Point Break" was only a modest hit theatrically, its pop-culture cachet has grown over the years, thanks lately to both the hugely-popular touring reality-play "Point Break Live!" and its status as a running joke in Edgar Wright's 2007 cult favorite "Hot Fuzz".

Now the Kathryn Bigelow-helmed original is being remade by Warner Bros. and Alcon Entertainment, with producers looking to begin the search for a director in the very near future based on a script by "Salt" screenwriter Kurt Wimmer. Alcon co-founders Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove reportedly secured rights to the original movie on the 20th anniversary of its release.

Kosove and Johnson are producing along with Michael De Luca, John Baldecchi, Chris Taylor and Wimmer.

The plot of the 1991 version had Keanu Reeves starring as as a rookie FBI agent who infiltrates a gang of surfers suspected of robbing banks. Patrick Swayze played the gang's leader.

“Who doesn’t love the Kathryn Bigelow original and its pure heart-pounding action and thrills?" said Johnson and Kosove in a statement." Kurt’s take infuses the story and characters with new twists and settings. We’re very excited to be in business with Kurt, and Michael DeLuca, Chris Taylor, and John Baldecchi.”

Added De Luca: "’Point Break’ wasn't just a film, it was a Zen meditation on testosterone fueled action and manhood in the late 20th century and we hope to create the same for the young 21st!”

Nothing like remaking a film that's barely 20 years old...

The Point Break remake won’t be a 100% pure rip-off of the original, says Producer

Alcon Entertainment recently announced their plans to not only sequelize Ridley Scott’s “Blade Runner” but resurrect another android, Johnny Utah – the immobile fedurfer of “Point Break”.

After another crowd’s unsuccessful attempt at getting a sequel up, “Point Break Indo”, Alcon joined forces with Warner Bros to redo the 1991 Kathryn Bigelow picture. And while it’s unlikely Keanu Reeves, Lori Petty, John C McGinley, Bojesse Christopher and Gary Busey will be invited back to reprise their roles from the Jim Cameron produced original (Patrick Swayze certainly won’t be coming back; sadly, we lost ‘Bodhi’ a couple of years back), it’s quite likely the characters of Utah and Bodhi will make some sort of return.

Speaking to The Playlist, Alcon’s Andrew Kosove said “Point Break” won’t be the same film as the first, going so far as to unfairly criticize Craig Brewer’s terrific “Footloose” remake in his pitch.

“Surfing is a part of it,” begins Kosove, “but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we’ve got to make it fresh. It’s not a literal remake of the original the way Footloose was – it was identical to the original film! [Our version] has got elements of the original and it’s not just surfing, it’s other kinds of extreme sports. But surfing is very, very prominent in the story.”

Now, has Kosove seen the new “Footloose”? If he has, he’ll know that it’s definitely the same story (‘Footloose’ is ‘Footloose’!) but Brewer definitely shook that thing up – characters were changed, situations were reversed, key sequences were redone with a whole new angle or twist.Not a very fair jab, pal. Still, I like that he’s going to do something different with “Point Break” – though I dare say it’ll be another remake that will have most of us racing towards the DVD player afterwards to watch the original again; after all, it’s the ultimate rush, 100% pure adrenaline.

Apparently a big name director has been approached for the project – might that be the same big name director that was once attached to do “Point Break Indo”? Mr Jan De Bont.

Can’t think who they’d even get for Bodhi and Utah – suggestions?

now Im against this remake/reboot but what ever they come up with, won't be as classic as the original!

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/point-br ... -treatment
http://www.moviehole.net/201251176-the- ... s-producer
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 1,729,186.60
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am
Worst Previews wrote:"Point Break" Remake Gets Director and Plot Details

Alcon Entertainment has been talking about a sequel to Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 "Point Break" film, starring Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze, since 2007. And now comes word that the company will instead develop a remake and has signed Ericson Core to direct the new movie.

Core last directed Mark Wahlberg's "Invincible" football film. He was also the cinematographer on such movies as "Fast and Furious" and Ben Affleck's "Daredevil." Other contenders for the job were "The Dark Knight" cinematographer Wally Pfister and Peter Iliff, who wrote the first movie.

Kurt Wimmer (Total Recall, Law Abiding Citizen) wrote the script for the "Point Break" remake, which will be set in the international world of extreme sports and will once again focus on an FBI agent infiltrating a crime ring. The plan is to begin shooting at the end of the year.

Fast and Furious is a remake... Don't see the reason for this except $$$.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 pm
Hmmm, then there wouldn't be the need to call it Point Break then would it?

Extreme sports, doesn't sound like surfing which the original title refers to.

why don't they just get Keanu back and have him go international infiltrating a crime ring?!

stupid Hollywood.
Bafta Winner
Cash on hand: 77.50
Bank: 32,900.00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 pm
Collider wrote:Gerard Butler in Talks to Star in POINT BREAK Remake

Gerard Butler (Olympus Has Fallen) is reportedly in final negotiations to star in the Point Break remake. We last reported on the new version of the 1991 bank-robbing surfers film (fun fact: directed by Kathryn Bigelow) when Ericson Core (Invincible) signed on to direct. Butler will be playing Bodhi, the role originally played by Patrick Swayze.

According to Heat Vision, Butler’s Bodhi will be “an expert extreme sports athlete who also seeks to find nirvana through the conquest of a series of athletic feats such as surfing 100-waves. He saves Johnny Utah, the undercover FBI agent, and brings him into the fold of international criminals. The part of Utah is not cast.” Butler recently showed off his surfing skills in Chasing Mavericks, and more straight-forward action fare in Olympus Has Fallen. He’ll next reprise his voice role in How to Train Your Dragon 2, before shooting Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen.

Here’s the brief synopsis of the new Point Break, written by Kurt Wimmer:

"The new version of the film is set in the world of international extreme sports, and like the original involves an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring."

Watch the original trailer below:

You gotta be kidding me... This could be a new franchise with a different coat of paint. The synopsis above:

"The new version of the film is set in the world of international extreme sports, and like the original involves an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring."

And here's the synopsis slightly modified:

"The new version of the film is set in the world of illegal underground street racing, and like the original involves an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring."

Yes this can be applied to many films but you can't get any clearer than this. This will be the second reboot for 'Point Break' while having the 7th 'Fast and Furious' film at the same time. :|
Formally known as SUPER-BLUR [2010-2013] and now known as KAL [2005-2010/2014-]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:38 pm
this all is crazy, Swayze would be rolling around in his grave. why even call it Point Break, it's a ocean/beach term. The Fast and the Furious is basically a shot for shot remake anyway, watch it back to back with the original Point Break and you'll see.

the story sounds ok, but it would make more sense if it was an actual sequel with Keanu returning as Johnny and Gerard's character renamed. how about Johnny is retired and the FBI call him up asking for his help to catch these new criminals in this so called 'international extreme sports' and go undercover again.
Next

Return to Movies