TV On DVD/BLU-RAY - Discussion & Your Collection

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 12,680.00
Bank: 1,073,549.30
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:18 pm
Last edited by VMars on Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:29 pm
Buffy season 1-7
Angel season 1-5
Futurama season 1-4
Twin Peaks season 1
Alias season 1-3
24 season 1-4
Deadwood season 1
Arrested Development season 1-2
Battlestar Galactica season 1
Firefly complete set
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,407,396.00
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:34 pm
[quote:9e9e7e534f="Tintinrulz"]I know. But this thread is about what tv shows you own on dvd. Please read the first post before commenting. Thanks.[/quote:9e9e7e534f]

Oh sorry!!! I thought this was the one that said the dvds coming out! Oops!

Here's what i own:

Sliders Seasons 1 and 2
That 70s show Season 2
Diff'rent Strokes Season 1
Freaks and Geeks Complete Series
Undeclared Complete Series
Alf Season 1
Seinfeld Season 1 and 2

I think that is it.

Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,590.00
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 am
No worries. Sorry I was a bit harsh.

I forgot to mention I also have the Complete Tintin series on dvd. Thanks for reminding sherryisalive!
Currently watching:
Kyle XY - Season 2, 30 Rock - Season 2, Vikings, Gankutsuou
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,407,396.00
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:27 am
[quote:f865f1aa6b="Tintinrulz"]No worries. Sorry I was a bit harsh.

I forgot to mention I also have the Complete Tintin series on dvd. Thanks for reminding sherryisalive![/quote:f865f1aa6b]

Ahaa i was wondering that considering your name was tintin rules woulda thought you would have had the series.

I see you have spellbinder i want to get that but i'm waiting for it to come out with the complete series. I love that when i was about 12.

Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,445.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:53 am
A long but great post regarding TV on DVD. :)

[quote:6194250e5a=""][b:6194250e5a]Enough is enough[/b:6194250e5a]
[i:6194250e5a]December 15, 2005[/i:6194250e5a]

[b:6194250e5a]Viewers frustrated with the networks' programming of their favourite shows are flocking to DVDs, writes Paul Best.[/b:6194250e5a]

PREETHI BALASUBRAMONY still clearly recalls buying her first TV series on DVD. It was the final season of long-running US sitcom Friends.

Fed up with the way the Nine Network was dragging out the screening of the "last episode ever" and that the "surprise" ending had been already blown when it was shown to US audiences earlier in the year, the 28-year-old Sydney lawyer did what growing legions of frustrated TV viewers are opting to do - if the steady stream of complaints to the Green Guide is any gauge.

She took control of her TV viewing by getting it on DVD, elbowing aside the "appointment" style of watching that has been our habit for the past 50 years."

I ended up not caring what happened in the final episode of Friends because they dragged it out playing people's favourite episodes and bullshitting around like that," she says.

Since then, Balasubramony has grown into something of a gatherer of DVDs, and increasingly they are of TV shows.

Scott Hocking, who writes on the DVD industry, is another avid collector. DVD has also let him sweep out his VHS tape collection, freeing up his shelves for his everexpanding library of DVDs.

"If there's a line drawn from collector to fanatic, I sit somewhere in between," he says.

Hocking estimates up to a third of his 300-plus DVD library would be television shows, which he adds to every month.

These fans are not alone.

While the retail market overall for DVDs is slowing, with only a 3 per cent lift in the first 10 months of this year, the number of TV programs on DVDs, according to GFK Marketing Services, has leapt almost 60 per cent in the same period, from 2.4 million to 3.7 million.

And the outlook for the rest of the year, according to Fox Home Entertainment, looks just as peachy, with the TV DVD market estimated to nudge beyond $195 million by the end of the year, representing almost a 50 percent jump in value and 20 percent of all DVDs sold.

Many studios, for their part, see an opportunity in dusting off their old libraries of TV shows to earn an extra quid without having to pour in big promotional dollars, which may explain the flood of TV titles, as much as 60 per cent more in the past year, on to DVD.

Interestingly, Fox - whose US TV arm makes cult shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy and Buffy - identified the trend a couple of years ago, employing a dedicated local product manager for TV.

One of Emma Foster's first tasks was establishing a website,, which has proven an invaluable source of feedback from visitors, much like fanbased websites do.

"We realised the potential of TVONDVD as a brand, rather than just promoting shows like The Simspons, Angel, Tru Calling or Futurama," Foster says. "We were able to pull all our shows under the single TV banner."

For consumers, convenience is one of the key attractions. With DVDs, says Foster, rather than being forced to watch at a set hour you choose, at your leisure, when you have time. And it's ad-free.

Balasubramony agrees. "I work pretty ridiculous hours, so I want to be able to watch programs whenever I want without commercials," she says. "I hate commercials."

Then there's the continuity: no need to wait a week between episodes, instead you can plonk yourself down to watch a season of episodes back-to-back.

Foster points to 24, a 24-episode drama that simulates real-time, to show how a TV series can be better suited to DVD.

A ratings winner for Seven, 24 began losing viewers in seasons two and three while DVD sales kept rising.

It's a form of watching that suits Hocking.

"It gives you better continuity," he says. "I watched season six of The West Wing in a weekend, one episode after another."

Extras are another inducement.

"I was getting five emails a day making sure we got the same bonus features on 24 as the US," Foster says. Auditions, director commentaries and behind-the-scenes footage are some of the features most hotly demanded.

Comedy, sci-fi and drama are among the top TV sellers, with a comedy title chosen four times in every 10 purchases. Run your eye down the top 10 list of sales to October and a pattern emerges: Sitting in second spot behind The OC is The Simpsons trailed by, in order, Little Britain, Family Guy, The Simpsons (again) and Seinfeld, with Family Guy in seventh and eight places.

Interestingly, Family Guy was cancelled by Fox due to poor ratings, only to see the animated series become a monster hit on DVD. New seasons have since been commissioned.

Hocking has a taste for sci-fi, with Buffy, Star Trek and Doctor Who heading his list of must-haves.

Balasubramony, on the other hand, leans particularly the caustic British variety. Her bookshelves house box sets of the past seven seasons of Friends (although these days, she's embarrassed to number herself as a fan), Sex and the City, Yes Minister, Black Adder and The Office.

Tellingly, Scrubs and Arrested Development are also there, two shows that haven't easily settled into either an early or regular timeslot on Channel Seven, despite a loyal local followings.

The proclivity of network programmers to muck about with scheduling shows like these - beloved by a core group of watchers but too few to excite advertisers - has galvanised audiences, judging from letters to Green Guide, to bypass the stop/start, on-again/offagain programming and buy the DVD, sometimes over the internet.

Typical of the tone is this letter from Antoine Pace: "Thanks for nothing, Seven.

When the sitcom Arrested Development didn't rate through the roof from day one, you cancelled it midseason.

Now after it was nominated for a bundle of Emmys, you've put it back on air. The only trouble is you are starting with episode 17 of series one. Those of us who are interested in seeing how the season turned out have already bought the DVD box set.

We're unlikely to sit up to watch it broadcast by Seven, assuming it airs at the advertised times in any event."

Because some of his favourite shows have been "screwed around with", Hocking, has also felt compelled to buy Angel and The West Wing. Nine's programming of the latter has received unmatched griping from readers.

Once more from the mailbag: "There seems to be little point in again castigating Channel Nine about the whereabouts of series five of The West Wing. Series six has already aired in the US. I guess I'll be buying more DVDs," writes viewer Tina Healy.

And again from Daniel de Vries: "I have a suggestion for all those wishing to watch the continuing excitement of The West Wing. Season five is available to rent at many video stores across Melbourne on DVD. And just this week I purchased the complete season six on eBay from a seller in Sydney. The DVDs arrived in three days and I am so enthralled by watching them episode after episode, ad-free and Channel Nine-free.

This way we can show the network where to stick its programming."

Nine's program manager in Melbourne, Len Downs, appreciates the frustration but ratings for shows such as The West Wing and The Sopranos weren’t commercially viable.

“With a devotee series, those people scream the loudest,” Downs says.

“When it comes to it, at the end of the day, in terms of the size of the audience, it is not a particularly massive audience. Star Trek is another example over the years.”

But Channel’s Seven’s programmer Tim Worner told the Sydney Morning Herald earlier in the year that “you would have to be silly to be saying (DVD) hasn’t had some sort of effect”.

“It is probably going to change free-to-air TV as a business more than anything else in the next few years,” he was reported saying.

If anything, the threat has come more from blockbuster movies getting a first run on pay TV and released on DVD before moving to free-to-air, which has all but wiped out the Sunday night movie, a tradition across all commercial networks until recently.

But Downs doesn’t see TV series DVDs as much of a threat and questions their affordability.

“Who’s going to buy three seasons of CSI? That’s 72 episodes.”

He also argues shows such as CSI and Law & Order have better repeat value on TV because, unlike shows with an on-going storyline such as The West Wing, Lost or Desperate Housewives, “you know you can miss a week”.

GFK’s Simon Perks says the cost of TV shows on DVD, which generally have a higher price because 72 per cent are sold as box sets, have come down the most.

While the cost of a DVD overall has fallen about $3 to $20, the average price of a TV DVD has dropped $4.60 to $37.90 and, for a boxset, $7 to $50.

However, DVD is not the only threat programmers must face. The ready access to first-run US TV shows over the internet — either illegally through software, such as BitTorrent, or through virtual store fronts, such as the iTunes Music Store (albeit only in the US at this stage) — is bound to cause some headaches for traditional TV programmers in the future.

As well, the rise of video-capable smartphones and mobile TV are other developments programmers need to be alert to.

Balasubramony will pull out a DVD from her “little comedy store”, as she calls it, to cheer herself up or, at night, to get her to sleep. A couple of times a year, she throws a DVD night with friends where they might sit around and watch a series like The Office end-toend.

Other times, it’s a chance to watch a show that may not have screened in a while. Nostalgia and memory, says Roadshow’s marketing director (ABC/BBC) Brigid Shute, play important roles in purchasing older ABC and BBC programs.

This is particularly the case with dyedin- the-wool ABC viewers, predominantly of baby-boomer vintage. It is that loyalty that also results in immediate sales, which is why a lot of new ABC stuff is in shops as soon as it has aired.

But increasingly there’s a younger buyer, not unlike Balasubramony, who, says Shute, isn’t an ABC loyalist but has caught an episode or two of a show — such as Kath & Kim or Little Britain — and liked it enough to buy the entire series.

TV shows also tend to be remembered fondly because they touch viewers in the comfort of their home.

“We know with TV purchases that people love their TV programs because it’s a series with which they have a relationship with the characters, they are welcomed in their homes,” Shute says.

“Movies, you watch and walk away. Characters like Kath and Kim, on the other hand, step into your home. You build a deeper relationship with the characters every week.”

TV shows stay longer on the shelf, Shute argues, than film titles, which tend to be superseded by new blockbuster releases.

As a rule of thumb, she estimates TV DVDs have a shelf-life of about 12 months, but points to the BBC’s production of Pride and Prejudice, Fawlty Towers (consistently in the top 25) and The Wiggles’ first DVD as examples where sales have remained strong for several years. Packaging can be important, too.

Hocking has a Star Trek series in the shape of a spacecraft on his bookshelf. Tin boxes of old TV animations such as Astro Boy attract collectors.

How product is packaged is also important in one of the most lucrative markets, preschool, where colours and images are vital in steering mums towards the shows their kids like.

Children’s titles, which include animations and live action, has grown faster than any other market segment, increasing by 72 per cent this year. Fox has begun toying with the way it markets its TV product, choosing to release a half-season set of the most recent season of 24.

The move is part of an awakening of the TV market on DVD. For Foster, though, the popularity of TV on DVD was never in doubt: “Who doesn’t have a favourite TV show?”[/quote:6194250e5a]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:21 am
I'm going to hold my tongue. All I'm going to say is: They don't have this problem in America.
Oscar Presenter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:01 am
Hey all, just wondering what TV shows you have in your collections. I have the following TV shows:

- 24 Season 1 (R4 AU) Parts 1 & 2
- 24 Season 2 (R4 AU) Parts 1 & 2
- 24 Season 3 (R4 AU) Parts 1 & 2
- 24 Season 4 (R2 UK) Complete
- Band of Brothers (R4 AU) Complete
- CSI:Miami Season 1 (R1 US) Complete
- CSI:Miami Season 2 (R1 US) Complete
- CSI:Miami Season 3 (R1 US) Complete
- CSI:NY Season 1 (R1 US) Complete
- House MD Season 1 (R1 US) Complete
- NUMB3RS Season 1 (CBS)

Currently Watching/Getting my hands on

- 24 Season 5 (FOX)
- CSI:NY Season 2 (CBS)
- Everybody Hates Chris Season 1 (UPN - owned by CBS)
- House MD Season 2 (FOX)
- Prison Break Season 1 (FOX)
- NUMB3RS Season 2 (CBS)
Last edited by big_kel on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Entourage S4 (3 of xx) | Prison Break S3 (8/07) | 24 S7 (1/08 ) | NUMB3RS S4 (??/07) | House S4 (??/07)
Cash on hand: 5,217.50
Bank: 5,606,656.90
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:04 am
The only one I can think of at the moment is Fawlty Towers.

I'm also hoping to get my hands on Season 1 of Desperate Housewives sometime this year.
Last edited by Princess Sapphire on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Globe Winner
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:08 am
don't we already have a thread on something like this i think it's called your dvd collection????
"You babies are so dumb, I can't believe you lived to be one."

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion