TV On DVD/BLU-RAY - Discussion & Your Collection

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:38 pm
-The Simpsons Season 3
-Smallville Season 1
-Six Feet Under Season 1
-Six Feet Under Season 2
-24 Season 1
-Spongebob Squarepants Halloween
-Spongebob SquareBuddies
-The Simpsons Halloween

What I hope to get soon:

-Smallville Season 2
-The Simpsons Season 4
-The O.C Season 1
-King of the Hill Season 1
-Lizzie McGuire Season 1

and so much more...
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:44 pm
I'm waiting for Gilmore Girls - Season 1 to be released on DVD in R4. Hoping that Once and Again comes out here too so I don't have to import them. Really want GG though - fingers crossed it gets here soon! :D

Alias is coming December 1 so that no trouble but there really isn't much else I can think of that I want.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:41 pm
As someone who'd love to get a whole heap of tv series dvd's (but has none) - do you actually watch them much when you have them? And how do you watch them...is it in order - or do favourites get pulled & rewatched more?
[img81]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f192/Mook-e/sig_carlinda.gif[/img81]
TV: South Of Nowhere - Season 2 | The L Word | Weeds | Sugar Rush
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:52 pm
[quote:54febc1b58="mook-e"]As someone who'd love to get a whole heap of tv series dvd's (but has none) - do you actually watch them much when you have them? And how do you watch them...is it in order - or do favourites get pulled & rewatched more?[/quote:54febc1b58]

Well, I know for me something like Futurama is easy to digest nightly - I usually put it on straight after the simpsons. Its only 20 minutes so its something you can put on anytime.
With my other DVD's of Alias and 24, basicly I watch them in order. When I first got them I went through them, but now I go through at my own speed, putting them on when I feel like watching them. Sometimes I just feel like Alias, so I'll put on the next episode in order. I have gone back and watched individual episodes, especially those with commentaries. Basicly, you can watch it however you like - you are in control because you have a copy.

The thing is, I'm only really getting shows that I know I'd watch again and again. I don't have the money to get everything, so choices like Six Feet Under which I love heaps I haven't got because despite how much I love them I don't get the feeling that its something I'd want to own. With Pay TV screening them now, I still get to see them so I figure I'll save some money there.

Outside of 24, Futurama and Alias are barely on Television. I'd love to get Gilmore Girls when it eventually comes out because I know it'll be hard to catch them again. Once and Again and Felicity fall into that catagory as well.

I watch a few different TV shows, but there are really only a select few I'd want to buy. I have mostly everything that I want now with the exception of Felicity - Season 1 and I'm saving my money for the few that I still want to get when they eventually get released.
If you have the money, they are great to buy because if you really do love a show enough to rewatch them then they are worth the money. The shows you love to watch again get better with age. If nothing else sells you to buy them, just the idea that you can watch them without annoying ads is fantastic in itself! :D
Hollywood Supporting Cast
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:27 pm
Mine and my boyfriend's collaborative collection:

Alias Seasons 1 & 2
Simpsons Seasons 1-3
Band of Brothers
Dune (William Hurt version)
Children of Dune
Family Guy Seasons 1-3
Firefly
plus a bunch of anime series like Evangelion, Escaflowne, Nadesico
also Aqua Teen Hunger Force Seasons 1 and 2, and Sealab Season 1

We had 24 Season 1 for a couple of days before he returned for...whatever reason. I don't know now.

Soon to have:

Alias Season 3
Simpsons Season 4
24 All seasons
Last Exile
Futurama
plus I want Sex and the City Seasons 1-6, but he's reluctant because, well, he hates it. :P I dare not even ask for The O.C.!
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:55 pm
Mook-e,

You'd think that with all the TV shows availabe to you to watch all the time, you would lose interest in them and never watch them, but jay summed it up pretty well; Box sets are good for relief from normal TV.

There's a lot of crap on nowadays, and on so many occasions I just wasn't in the mood to watch something with ads that I didn't really care about, so I'll just pop in a TV show and watch all of it, maybe half of it or maybe 10 minutes of it.

The point is that they are always there to fill in time when you can't be bothered watching something you're not really interested in.

On many occasions, (particularly on recent Sunday nights, Ive just put something on to have playing in the background while I prepare briefings.

Box sets like Alias and 24 are good because the story is ongoing and you can always just watch 20 minutes of an episode while you waiting for something on normal TV to start.

Like jay, I watch a lot of TV shows but only buy the box set of a select few.

The biggest factor I can put towards buying a box set is simply "no commercials." It doesn't matter how good a show is, it will always be tarnished by ads. Box sets obviously eliminate that.

Another factro is the special features you get with a Box set. 24, The Simpsons and Alias in particular have great features. Audoe commentaries are a real interest to me. I love hearing stories about what happened on the set, where the idea came from for a particular scene, who a character was based on or something in the background that the average person doesn't notice.

Other features are good too, blooper reels are often hilarious, Friends and Alias are killers!

Finally I'll just say that I always want to be able to watch my favourites. Stargate has been treated like crap and who knows if I will ever fulyl see it all again on FTA?

Regarding the TV shows I have....

24 Season One
24 Season Two
Alias Season One
Alias Season Two
Stargate: Season One
Stargate: Season Two
Stargate: Season Three
Stargate: Season Four
Stargate: Season Five
Stargate: Season Six
Fawlty Towers
The Young Ones
The Sopranos Season One
The Sopranos Season Two
The Sopranos Season Three
The Sopranos Season Four
NYPD Blue Season One
The A-Team Season One
The Simpsons Season One
The Simpsons Season Two
The Simpsons Season Three
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season One
Friends Season One
Friends Season Two
Friends Season Three
Friends Season Four
Friends Season Five
Friends Season Six
Friends Season Seven
Friends Season Eight
Friends Season Nine
South Park Season One
South Park Season Two
South Park Season Three
Battlestar Galactica

On the list:

24 Season Three
Alias Season Three
The Simpsons Season Four
Firefly
Boomtown
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation Season Two
Semper Fidelis
Sports Presenter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:57 pm
I have
24 Season 1 and 2 (3 coming soon :) )
Alias Season 1 and 2
X-Files 1-7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:24 am
The only DVD tv series that I own is

The X Files....

But I have a few Discovery doco series as well

The Savage Earth
Wonders of Weather
Australia - Eye of the Storm
History of Warfare at Sea
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:34 pm
Mook-E,

Yes as strange as it seems, I often delve into my own channel 9/10/any old network free TV DVDs. 24, Simpsons, Smallville, 6FU.
Totally refreshing and different experience from FTA... even if I've seen then before.I also can't wait for Gilmore Girls Season 1, which I shall buy immediately!
I never saw the first episode, so I can't wait!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:47 am
Updated list of TV I have on DVD:

24 - Season 1
24 - Season 2
24 - Season 3
Alias - Season 1
Alias - Season 2
Alias - Season 3