Shaun Micallef's Mad As Hell

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:39 pm
Hilarious news-based comedy from the funniest man in Australia, premiered last Friday night on ABC1. Best thing to happen to Australian television in 2012.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/madashell/

New Episodes: Friday's ABC1 8pm
Encores: Saturday's ABC2 7:30pm
Sunday ABC1 10:05pm

So the encore is on in about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can watch it online here:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/madashell/episodes/ep01.htm
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 3,877.70
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:53 am
It looked good. Certainly a show to keep an eye on. ;)
But that laugh-track they are using is a shocker . Explosive laughter is rubbish. :oops:
In the game of life always back self-interest.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,839.40
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:15 pm
bugaluggs wrote:But that laugh-track they are using is a shocker . Explosive laughter is rubbish. :oops:
Wasn't the show recorded with a live audience?

I watched the first episode on the ABC's website. Compared to some previous productions it was a bit hum ho. Bring back The Big Gig, The Max Gillies Show and writers like Patrick Cook and John Clarke.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca (attrib.)
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 pm
Don't think there was a laugh-track.

Pretty sure it was just an enthusiastic ABC audience...there were a few flat-spots where if there WAS a laughtrack, I would've thought they'd put something in.

Anyway, I got big laughs from it. The two Labour-people fighting over what one of them "said" and what he actually "meant" was gold. And I loved Francis Greenslade: "A.D?"
Cash on hand: 7,484.00
Bank: 547,683.00
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:15 am
I'm a Micallef fan from way back and have enjoyed most of his stuff, though mind you, not all (Welcher and Welcher, :/ lol) and tbh the first episode didn't excite me. Not that I had inflated expectations, but then my expectations are generally higher with Micallef, ofcourse. This show is a return to a kind of 'Newstopia' format, but also with a kind of 'Daily Show' feel in his being at the desk set up. But again, it's the same folks, sketch/skit set ups or what not.

Maybe my expectations WERE too high - I'll continue to seek it out and support the program but I could drift out like I did with Newstopia or the like.

I don't know how best Micallef could be utilised - TAYG utilised him well in that format, but it ran it's course. Micallef Program(me) is what made me a fan and he semi-revisits the format with Newstopia and this, but these shows are 'News, Current Affairs & Politics' focussed or what not and I don't know, it's also a kind of 'been done before' format, even by he and his crew, re: Newstopia.

I actually wouldn't mind him being given another shot at a 'Tonight Show' like program, like before - I didn't fully appreciate it back then, though I ofcourse sought it out. But it was still a good show, with potential, and the odd hilarious moment. He's soo funny at the Logies and stuff too - TAYG reflected this too. Playing that 'host' who can subvert, undermine, skew, send up or what not the format, celebrity/pop culture or what not, that's where I find him quite entertaining. I think stuff like this show may naturally 'limit' him too much, and even though that can be good at times, I just really like seeing him unleash, creatively, a bit like TAYG, including entering into all sorts of areas.

All we got with Tonight Shows is Adam Hills' show, which is interesting, different, but really kind of lame and I got a bit bored of it and the infrequent 'Gap Year' shows from Hamish and Andy, which are also interesting, different and slightly more entertaining, but it's still Hamish and Andy - who are naturally a kind of love them or hate them duo - I'm somewhere between lol. Rove is back too, via Foxtel, that has it's angle too, really guest centric or what not, so again entertaining but can be bit boring too.

I know Micallef may be shy about revisiting it, but it doesn't and shouldn't have to be like before - he, with his increased clout, would naturally have more control and most guests know he will be funny, but wacky and may involve them in skits etc... But he could have more skits and random stuff on the side too, like his High Horse but even more. It would essentially be 'his show.' Unfortunately ABC already have their Tonight Show, through Adam Hills. But a requirement would also be to avoid 9, given bad experience lol - Channel 10 is a clear option really and the void is there on Ten, like a 7:30 or 8:30pm show, 1 hour.

Heck, Hamish and Andy's show - It's essentially they doing whatever they want, kind of. I suppose Micallef's show couldn't be too much different, including some episodes he not even having proper guests? TAYG was a quasi 'Micallef Show' infact pretty much was, and I think that show gave as much insight as to what sort of entertainment Micallef can bring - So again, maybe he could host his own, old style, 'Light Entertainment/Variety Show.'

It's actually been a while since we REALLY had a show of that style - I know there was Hey Hey, but that jumped the shark even before the revival. Don Lane, Graeme Kennedy, Ray Martin (Midday), Steve Vizard (Sorry just had to reference, historically) or the like - Just his spin on it? He could do whatever, have whoever...

Really kind of like our version of 'Craig Ferguson' in a way? I know, he had Micallef Tonight before, but he was so constrained and not the figure he is now - He can really make it work. And like Ferguson, Hamish and Andy etc... he can do shows overseas, invite weird acts, film in wacky locations, skits or whatever he likes. I like Micallef 'free jamming' a bit more - sure, bring the comedy and even skits, but with a bit of TAYG and what not too - And a 'Light Entertainment/Variety Show' could be just the format for it?

It's key how it's constructed, who's involved and what network it is and what it will allow. But Micallef is always great in interviews, TV appearances etc... he needs to be 'let loose' in a TAYG kind of way, but more, lol.
TVAus Signature Competition #6 - FINAL ROUND (Sig Comp #7 Sig) Sigs now in thread - Come check them out and feel free to comment!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,920.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:08 pm
Black Caviar, a problem gambler's dream, where you can bet your house on it
Cash on hand: 13,650.50
Bank: 5,832,417.80
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:05 am
This wasn't as funny as I'd expected it to be, but I did watch the whole thing without giving up on it. I'll definitely watch it again as I think it has potential for improving, depending on subject matter.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,920.80
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:47 pm
Poverty?

I wouldn't be poor if you gave me a million dollars
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 pm
Oh, man, I loved this week's episode.

"The continuity on this show is appalling!" :D
Golden Globe Nominee
Cash on hand: 3,877.70
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 pm
Peter Garret was in a band , now Joe Hockey has a band in him..................hehehe :lol:
In the game of life always back self-interest.
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion