TV Bad For Kids

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:23 pm
I used to watch around 8 hours a week when I was a kid (1970s). My daughter is allowed to watch as much as she wants whenever I'm not in control of the remote and she has no chores/homework to do. Roughly equates to around 10-12 hours a week for her most of that is of a morning on weekends when those music TV shows are on like Rage.

Too much TV I'd classify as... well I think upto 3 hours a day is fine anymore then that and it isn't exactly dangerous... just sad hehe. I'm hard pressed to find 1 hour a day of TV thats worthwhile.
[img57]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/KindGuy63/FinishedCopy2.jpg[/img57]

[i57]Courtesy of Syl: The views stated above by KindGuy are in no way the views of TVAus or any of its administrators or moderators. They are the sole opinion of KindGuy.[/i57]
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:44 pm
I watched TV - non stop - even up to about 2 years ago.

Every night, from about 7.30pm onwards I would be in front of the television watching every show that was on. I spent more time in front of the television than doing homework, and I still found time to get it done so its all good.

Perhaps the only thing that has resulted out of it was that it was hard for me to make friends and be around people because I was shy. When it came to going out with friends I'd choose television over it.

Then it changed and strangely enough going out and being social made me feel worse because the people I knew we're idiots (well, their idiotness came out after a year or so of friendships).

When it came back to watching TV, I found that I didn't watch it as much because I was on the computer more than anything else! :wink:

Television was never bad for me - I loved it. Even now its the same, television takes you out of the real world, even for a few hours, and when you come back you have forgotten all the problems of the day.
Even now, sitting down to watch an episode of 24 or Alias, I forget any troubles and get wrapped up in the world of the show. Television is just a bit of escapism, thats all I take it as - weather I watch 30 minutes or 5 hours! When people take it seriously, thats where the trouble begins! :?
Cash on hand: 1,111.70
Bank: 6,216,997.00
Mood: besotted
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:59 pm
[quote:5a6dc7c5e2="mook-e"]haha I had a good laugh at the poll results :) we're the kids raised on tv, course we love it! :) Its also why we're such harsh critics cos we've seen good tv & know when we're being given dodgy programming.[/quote:5a6dc7c5e2]

Considering some of the issues raised in the 'Morning After Pill' thread in reference to children developing at an earlier age nowadays and being much more aware of sex (and violence etc), I would wonder whether this change, although a natural progression, has been greatly influenced by television and societies acceptance of it as our main entertainment outlet. Children now have subject matter screened to them that previous generations were probably never aware of until they were older.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:26 pm
[quote:857fd5d0f0="Square Eyes"]Children now have subject matter screened to them that previous generations were probably never aware of until they were older.[/quote:857fd5d0f0]

True - TV is a lot more edgy than it ever has been and they are getting away with show a lot of things that previously would never have gotten away with. Goes to say that we all are desensitized to a lot of things now that television is showing all the things it shows.

Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:51 pm
you know how you bought up the issue about sex and that well i watch tv and that and im highly against sex and drugs and stuff at this age why bother reaking your life there are alot of ppl in my yr (9) that r like that but i dont think it is from tv because all there family is like that there parents so there basically bought up badly or harshly. Nowadays most of the kids that r like that r from familys that influence that or a bad bringing up but also others who get caught up in a bad group and stay over ppls houses that r like that mum has a rule that im not allowed to sleep at ppls houses unless she knows there parents and i'm fine with that because i only eva stay at one friends house she lives up the road

but i think you will find that kids rnt really getting into sex and drugs from movies and tv alot of kids i have talked to it actually makes them not wanna do it but i spos kids think differently to others because some could b getting encouraged by it but i wouldnt there be something make them act immature to copy of movies so yeh it can't just be tellie so well thats my point of view
Previous

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion