TV Bad For Kids

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:27 pm
[quote:2c3b7c2be9="theage.com.au"][b:2c3b7c2be9]Toddlers' TV habits linked to disorder[/b:2c3b7c2be9]
[i:2c3b7c2be9]By Ben Wyld
April 6, 2004[/i:2c3b7c2be9]

Every hour a toddler spends watching television each day could increase the risk of attention problems in later childhood, according to US research.

The more viewing between the ages of one and three, the greater the risk of developing attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) at seven, say University of Washington researchers. For each daily hour, the risk jumps by nearly 10 per cent.

The finding adds to previous research linking television exposure with obesity and violent behaviour, and suggests that it may overstimulate and permanently alter the developing brain.

Researchers lead by Dimitri Christakis, a doctor at the Children's Hospital and Regional Centre in Seattle, examined the records of more than 2500 children involved in a long-term health study. About 10 per cent were found to have attention disorders at the age of seven.

The researchers then examined the children's television habits at one and three years of age. They found that viewing increased the risk of an attention problem by 9 per cent for every hour watched a day.

"Limiting young children's exposure to television as a medium during formative years of brain development... may reduce children's subsequent risk of developing ADHD," Dr Christakis writes in the journal Pediatrics.

But Australian experts said more research was required before a direct link could be established. Frank Oberklaid, director of the Centre for Community Child Health at the Royal Children's Hospital, said the finding was consistent with the idea that television should not be used as a "passive babysitter".

"The best thing parents can do is turn the television off and talk to their kids and read to their kids, which is a much more positive activity than watching passive television," Professor Oberklaid said.

But the president of the Hyperactivity Attention Deficit Association NSW, Julie Appleton, said the finding ignored the high number of people aged in their 50s and 60s, who grew up without television, being diagnosed as ADHD sufferers. [/quote:2c3b7c2be9]

[url]http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/05/1081017108732.html[/url]
Bafta Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:33 pm
ok i do not agree with that at all. i watched tv when i was a toddler. and i mean more then just a hour or so too. i used to watch the shows that were aimed at toddlers and the like. then later in the afternoon i would watch days of our lives with my mum right before we went and picked up my older brother from school.

but i didnt just watch tv. i also 'read' books (i had books that came with records that read to you), and played out side and helped my mum to cook or clean or what ever.

i turned out fine, no add or adhd here. so i think that it is fine for children to watch tv provided that they are not just put in front of it all day every day.

Logie Nominee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:48 pm
TV isn't bad at all, I once watched a full 24 hour block of TV when I was one and I have the attention span of a.... what were we talking about again?
I like it in Tweety Cartoons. When the cat goes boom!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:06 pm
LOL ahhhh I haven't found that I have suffered from being in front of the tv for hours on end.
FREE SCHAPELLE
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:48 pm
NO WAY!! my mum thought that and for a while i only got 1 hr of TV a day, HELL!!
[img39]http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7173/happyending2su.jpg[/img39]

Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 pm
hell no i highly doubt that tv is actually good for the brain hey it is kind of educational hey i wouldnt b able to live if i had no tv lol
so yeh tv is good like its the bestest hello u's were kids once i bet u's watched tv all the time well all i can say is i do i still go out side and do alot well as long as u go out side and stuff every now and then it is ok because atlest ure getting fresh air.
Site Admin
Cash on hand: 3,413.00
Bank: 49,423.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:57 pm
Gee... what else can we blame TV for? :lol: Oh I wish these ppl would get over it already!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:00 am
OK - before I can vote in this poll you need to add another option: [b:0a426e782d]depends on what they're watching[/b:0a426e782d]

apart from Simpsons (and we all know what a great role model that family is :wink: ) - my girls do not watch any kids programs other than ABC for kids during the week (crappy full-of-bloody-ads programs Sat morning) - BUT then again, they also watch Survivor with me (it's a real chick's night & we snuggle up discussing who we want to win & who we 'so want off the island' :lol: ) -

Has this been bad for them??? - well apart from the Bart attitude, not really. They make up games with each other and friends around survivor-esque challenges & use their imaginations quite actively - overall, well adjusted & normal, intelligent kids
Last edited by VeeCee on Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:12 am
haha I had a good laugh at the poll results :) we're the kids raised on tv, course we love it! :) Its also why we're such harsh critics cos we've seen good tv & know when we're being given dodgy programming.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:59 am
how much is to much?

I use to watch TV.... but also mum would talk to us heaps.... and we had tons of book.... and would play outside heaps... and would do other things.... i.e drawing or whatever....

so i think there is definitley a place for TV. Some kids shows are great/educational.

n.b as a child my TV viewing was largely ABC ... though I did get a bit of Agro's Cartoon Connection in there ;)
Japanese Story
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion