Today

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:45 pm
I don't care what part of the show I'm watching, there's never anything more than springs to mind, but ...fake. Channel Nine's [ia0]Today[/ia0] - the poor mans Sunrise - has struggled since the first minute it aired in 2006.

Its clear Nine have tried to rectify it - its true, in the traditional Channel Nine way of copying someone else's idea - but the effort is there. The sassy blonde, the streaked brunette and the cute and dashing youthful men are all hallmark playing cards for immediate ratings. Unfortunatley, there's one more aspect Nine tends to continually forget - respect.

Did Mel & Kochie take all the ratings point from Nine overnight? No, and while I don't particularly enjoy watching these two either, they at least appear interested in their job. I.e Not checking their pigeon-holes for a pink-slip during the break.

One thing Channel Nine is not use to, is losing its audience, the other is not knowing how to get it back. So, why is this abomination allowed to continue? Would it still be going with Packer in charge?

Today, while not rehearsed, is still one of the most cringewrothy shows on television to date. Every member of the "team" don't seem to even like each other, let alone appear to work well together. The final icing on the cake is not only seeing the puppet-like cast smiling, but seeing talkback jockey Alan Jones smiling at the camera.

The Today ship is not only sinking, but all its friends are throwing rocks at it.

So, of all the people watching Today. Be honest... is it because you enjoy traditional Channel Nine propoganda? Or are you anxiously awaiting, as I am, for someone to flip out and destroy the set?
Semper Fidelis

Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:01 pm
Actually I find The Today Show and Sunrise to be mirror images of their American counterparts. :wink:
Buffy Body Double
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:03 pm
I can't stand channel 9 or channel 7 morning news. Jessica Rowe reminds me of some perky butch cheerleader... that Karl guy is as wooden as Keanu Reeves's acting... Kochie is a knobjockey... Mel is so god-damn patronising...

I'll stick to watching Planet Cook at 7:35am on ABC... go CC and Boomer!!!!!!!

I'll read a news paper instead.
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:28 pm
I dont watch those morning TV shows. I dont understand what the big deal is with them either. Why would anyone waste their time?
If I didn't have pay TV as a substitute, I'd turn the TV off. :?
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:42 pm
I have watched Today only a handfull of times but have to say you're right Bane. They don't look like they would ever speak outside of work, not even in their dressing rooms or in the hallways of channel 9...and it really comes through.

Whereas Sunrise - well let's just say on Today they wouldn't have rung up one of their team who was sick on her birthday and make her a cake like Nat and Kochie did for Mel on her birthday would they?

After all the hurrah about Jessica Rowe moving to Today it's all fallen in a heap a bit hasn't it? Serves them right - they do copy someone else's ideas. I think they're trying to be relaxed but they're trying too hard and it comes across as forced and fake. Where as on Sunrise they're all relaxed, happy, laughing together. They have a funny weatherman and the newsreader can laugh with them and they wish each other happy birthday and everything. I'm definitely a Sunrise watcher.
[imgee]http://www.policeblueribbon.com.au/images/WEB-REMEMBER-BANNER.jpg[/imgee]

Belinda Emmett 1974 - 2006
pixel wrangler
Cash on hand: 3,193.50
Bank: 0.00
Mood: studious
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:10 am
Well... I don't watch tv in the mornings, but have recorded a few mornings of Today just to see what's happening there, as everyone has been commenting about the new look, new host....

This is a great post bane. I know exactly where you're coming from. 8)

[quote:37c375bc9e="bane"]I don't care what part of the show I'm watching, there's never anything more than springs to mind, but ...[b:37c375bc9e]fake[/b:37c375bc9e]. Channel Nine's [i:37c375bc9e]Today[/i:37c375bc9e] - the poor mans Sunrise - has struggled since the first minute it aired in 2006. [/quote:37c375bc9e]

[quote:37c375bc9e="bane"]Today, while not rehearsed, is still one of the most cringewrothy shows on television to date. Every member of the "team" don't seem to even like each other, let alone appear to work well together. [/quote:37c375bc9e]

This is what bothers me the most. The Today show has some individuals on it that were good at what they previously did in the media & were popular... but Today is just tainting them & making them look either hysterically hyperactive or uncomfortable & surly (depending on which host you're talking about)

The 'team' do look like a group of people thrown in a room together & told to 'get along'. :?

[quote:37c375bc9e="bane"]traditional Channel Nine way of copying someone else's idea - ... there's one more aspect Nine tends to continually forget - [b:37c375bc9e]respect[/b:37c375bc9e]. [/quote:37c375bc9e]

You have to wonder what the Ch.9 execs really think of the average Aussie viewer. Don't want to lead this off topic... but just the example of that show Clever. Like Today, it's a rip-off of another show & Nine is hoping with a new lick of paint (or camouflage) can make it look like a brand new & exciting show/concept. :roll: ... back on topic.

[quote:37c375bc9e="bane"]So, of all the people watching Today. Be honest... is it because you enjoy traditional Channel Nine propoganda? [b:37c375bc9e]Or are you anxiously awaiting, as I am, for someone to flip out and destroy the set?[/b:37c375bc9e] [/quote:37c375bc9e]
LOL bane! :lol: The Today 'team' have got to be getting close to doing that !
Cash on hand: 1,987.50
Bank: 49,423.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 pm
It use to be good. Especially when Tracey was there. But I switched over to Sunrise long before she left. More relaxed there :)
Golden Globe Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:01 pm
I'm still asleep when it finishes :-S I used to watch it when I was still getting up to go to school in the morning and I used to get bored quite quickly
[img3c]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/allofmypics/Boost%20Stuff/whiteflag.gif[/img3c][img3c]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/allofmypics/Boost%20Stuff/cheer.gif[/img3c]
Golden Globe Nominee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:01 pm
I'm still asleep when it finishes :-S I used to watch it when I was still getting up to go to school in the morning and I used to get bored quite quickly
[img3c]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/allofmypics/Boost%20Stuff/whiteflag.gif[/img3c][img3c]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a351/allofmypics/Boost%20Stuff/cheer.gif[/img3c]
Cash on hand: 7,595.60
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:12 pm
I dont watch either i would much rather listen to music. :)
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion