Australian TV Broadcast Rights

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:32 am
*Bump*

Thought i would give you an updated list of output deals for Australian Networks. This is what i know and if i am missing anything feel free to add to it. I do know no one in this country has exclusive rights to UK media which is why shows end up on various networks.

Seven
Universal, Miramax, ABC Studios/Disney/Touchstone

Nine
Sony, Warner Bros, Newline Cinema, Fox Searchlight, Roadshow

Ten
20th Century Fox, Paramount
Image
User avatar
Emmy Nominee
Posts: 1869
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 pm
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 2,293,634.50
Location: Sydney
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 am
All that I'll mention on this is that New Line is a part of Warner Bros, Touchstone a part of Disney, and Universal Media Studios is now Universal Television.
2010B & 2011A TvAus Ratings Comp Winner, TvAus AFL Tipping Comp: 2011 Co-Winner, 2012 Runner-up.

Member 18685 - an asset of NSW.
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 pm
Yeah i get that but they are still individual contracts. I thought UMS was still UMS. I thought Universal TV changed to UMS. Must have been the other way round. Anyway i'll edit it to say Universal.
Image
User avatar
Emmy Winner
Posts: 1958
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:38 pm
Cash on hand: 7,600.30
Location: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm
Universal Media Studios is now Universal Television.


Is this a recent change? I noticed the end screen on Parks and Recreation changed for season 4.

Does Lionsgate have a deal in place? Used to be Nine.
User avatar
Emmy Nominee
Posts: 1869
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:14 pm
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 2,293,634.50
Location: Sydney
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:06 pm
greysfan wrote:I thought UMS was still UMS. I thought Universal TV changed to UMS. Must have been the other way round. Anyway i'll edit it to say Universal.

B1andB2 wrote:
Universal Media Studios is now Universal Television.


Is this a recent change? I noticed the end screen on Parks and Recreation changed for season 4.

No you were right greys, the rebrand back to 'Universal Television' was only recent.
2010B & 2011A TvAus Ratings Comp Winner, TvAus AFL Tipping Comp: 2011 Co-Winner, 2012 Runner-up.

Member 18685 - an asset of NSW.
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm
I have put together a few threads and will be merging more when i come across them all about TV Rights from sporting events to output deals. I know there are some in the locker room so might move them here. Have them all under the one banner.
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 am
And the battle continues with Seven, TEN and Nine all fighting for the TV Rights to the NRL. Must say its going to be a very interesting year with the Aus Open Rights, Olympic Rights, NRL Rights, V8 Rights and one other which i have forgotten all up for grabs.

State of Origin rights look to heat up with Channel TEN saying it has the cash, show me your price! They want the every NRL game. That could be a very interesting predicament, but not so much the State of Origin which is kinda weird. Like i said in the Seven thread, Seven are keeping very quiet about this and something tells me they are ready to go to war and get as much as possible. It is interesting times ahead.

Daily Telegraph wrote:Channel Ten emphatic it has the cash to challenge Nine and Seven for rugby league coverage rights

THIS could be the most bruising State of Origin match-up in more than 30 years.

Australia's three commercial networks - Nine, Ten and Seven - will officially go to war over television rights for State of Origin.

Industry sources claim Origin is worth about $25 million annually through television coverage and each station is preparing for league's new independent commission to split the major properties.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal that Channel 10 is:

USING analysts to compile a game-by-game ratings dossier from last season to determine the exact worth of matches;

DETERMINED not to pay massive money if given the lesser games each week in a divided rights format;

MAKING rugby league the station's number one target for 2012; and

READY to televise some matches on One (HD) and Eleven (youth channel) if the station secures all eight games each round.

Ten wants the NRL rights rather than a stand-alone crack at State of Origin but will still negotiate to screen rugby league's greatest contest.

"We are in an exclusive negotiation period with the incumbent rights holders (Nine)," said NRL chief executive David Gallop.

"But State of Origin football is getting bigger and bigger every year so it's hardly surprising that it is being looked at as a compelling television property by all networks, should the opportunity arise."

Seven wants Origin but a network spokesman only repeated yesterday: "David Leckie (Seven chief executive) loves league. However, we won't be drawn into commenting on the forthcoming negotiations for television rights."

Ten is emphatic it has the cash to make a full-scale assault on Nine and rugby league.

If successful in securing the rights, Ten may demand exclusive rights - denying Fox Sports the chance to show replays.The NRL will look to finalise the TV deal by mid-season.
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am
Nine boss declares it will win the NRL rights regardless. I find this very hard to fathom considering what i have read. There is more than just wanting them. You have to win them. Australian viewers are sick of Channel Nine's coverage and they are not the best in broadcasting it. Foxtel does a way better job of it.

Daily Telegraph wrote:Channel Nine boss Jeff Browne confident his station will win right to broadcast NRL

CHANNEL 9 boss Jeff Browne has boldly declared the battle for rugby league broadcast rights is effectively over before it even starts, saying: "We want the broadcast rights - and we'll win them."

Breaking his silence on the $1 billion battle with Seven and Ten for the rights for the next five years, Browne said Nine's league rights would not be slipping into the hands of their competitors.

He is so confident Nine - which has the first and last bidding rights under the existing agreement - will show rugby league next year that he has predicted they will have negotiations sewn up by June.

"We do rugby league best," Browne said. "But we know we'll have to stump up and grow the game.

"We've got to help the clubs and invest in the league. We're not trying to buy these cheaply, we're trying to invest in the sport. And that's our biggest asset. It's not only about the money, it's about the relationship and building the brand of rugby league."

Browne's comments fly in the face of genuine interest from Seven and particularly Ten in the last few weeks.

Nine is in the middle of its exclusive three-month negotiating period with the NRL, although Seven and Ten have privately indicated their interest in snatching some or all of the rights from 2013.

There is a growing belief that a serious push from Ten - headed by league-mad chairman Lachlan Murdoch - is unlikely. Late last month, Ten warned of a 40 per cent profit loss.

Seven indicated long ago that it wanted State of Origin rights, but Browne is adamant Nine will push hard to retain all the free-to-air rights.

"We want what we've got now and that's what we're shooting for," he said. "It's a must that we get rugby league. We want the rights, and we'll win them. When it is done will depend on others, but I suspect this will be known by June."

Head of Nine Entertainment David Gyngell has refused to comment on negotiations, which are seen as crucial to the network's survival, but NRL chief executive David Gallop welcomed Brown's remarks.

"It's great to hear that Channel 9 is aware of the power of rugby league," Gallop said last night.
Image
User avatar
Screen Actors Guild Winner
Posts: 1558
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:46 pm
Cash on hand: 253.00
Bank: 0.00
Location: Buffy's house
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:35 am
greysfan wrote:Nine boss declares it will win the NRL rights regardless. I find this very hard to fathom considering what i have read. There is more than just wanting them. You have to win them. Australian viewers are sick of Channel Nine's coverage and they are not the best in broadcasting it. Foxtel does a way better job of it.

Daily Telegraph wrote:Channel Nine boss Jeff Browne confident his station will win right to broadcast NRL

CHANNEL 9 boss Jeff Browne has boldly declared the battle for rugby league broadcast rights is effectively over before it even starts, saying: "We want the broadcast rights - and we'll win them."

Breaking his silence on the $1 billion battle with Seven and Ten for the rights for the next five years, Browne said Nine's league rights would not be slipping into the hands of their competitors.

He is so confident Nine - which has the first and last bidding rights under the existing agreement - will show rugby league next year that he has predicted they will have negotiations sewn up by June.

"We do rugby league best," Browne said. "But we know we'll have to stump up and grow the game.

"We've got to help the clubs and invest in the league. We're not trying to buy these cheaply, we're trying to invest in the sport. And that's our biggest asset. It's not only about the money, it's about the relationship and building the brand of rugby league."

Browne's comments fly in the face of genuine interest from Seven and particularly Ten in the last few weeks.

Nine is in the middle of its exclusive three-month negotiating period with the NRL, although Seven and Ten have privately indicated their interest in snatching some or all of the rights from 2013.

There is a growing belief that a serious push from Ten - headed by league-mad chairman Lachlan Murdoch - is unlikely. Late last month, Ten warned of a 40 per cent profit loss.

Seven indicated long ago that it wanted State of Origin rights, but Browne is adamant Nine will push hard to retain all the free-to-air rights.

"We want what we've got now and that's what we're shooting for," he said. "It's a must that we get rugby league. We want the rights, and we'll win them. When it is done will depend on others, but I suspect this will be known by June."

Head of Nine Entertainment David Gyngell has refused to comment on negotiations, which are seen as crucial to the network's survival, but NRL chief executive David Gallop welcomed Brown's remarks.

"It's great to hear that Channel 9 is aware of the power of rugby league," Gallop said last night.


If Ten/One win the broascast rights to NRL I would expect NRL in SA and WA getting more exposure in prime time /afternoon slots. Instead of the Nine Perth after 1am airings. :) We could only hope though that would be the case since they are both non-Rugby states.
Image
User avatar
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:41 pm
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Location: Seattle Grace Hospital
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:07 am
Fox Sports declares it will win the rights but of course they are the only real PayTV provider out there. As for FTA Nine apparently has it in the bag too.

SMH wrote:NRL to reap $1.2b from TV rights deal

RUGBY LEAGUE is guaranteed a $1.2 billion broadcasting deal, with monopoly pay-TV network Fox Sports declaring it won't be beaten for the five-year rights.

Fox Sports' new boss, Patrick Delany, has allayed fears of NRL club bosses his sports production company is complacent about the rights, saying for the first time the company will pay a just, competitive price to televise the code.

''We are motivated to bid strongly,'' Delany said, anticipating strong opposition from channels Seven and Ten.

"Fox Sports still sees plenty of room for subscription growth among NRL fans" ... Patrick Delany, Fox Sports chief executive. Photo: Louie Douvis

Fox Sports has combined with Channel Nine to retain the rights they have held since the formation of the NRL at the end of the Super League war.

Nine has a first and last hold on free-to-air TV rights while Fox Sports has the same control over the pay-TV rights.

Both broadcasters will retain their opportunity to make a final, rights-clinching bid if their initial offer is not bettered by 20 per cent from a rival.

Because it's anticipated Seven and Ten will require a pay-TV partner to program all eight games a week, club bosses feared the combined Nine-Fox Sports bid would blow any rival out of the water.

Seven televises four AFL games a week, meaning it has limited programming space for rugby league, while Ten is cash poor. However, Nine and Fox Sports are aware cash-rich Seven could make what is called a ''swamper'' offer for all games, knowing it can onsell some to Fox Sports, which needs rugby league to retain subscribers in NSW and Queensland.

Alternatively, Seven and Ten could combine, as they have for AFL rights in the past.

Delany rejected fears the Nine-Fox Sports pact was designed to scare off rivals, pointing out a joint venture bid was outside those rights.

''The 'first' and 'last' are contained in the individual arrangements between broadcasters and the NRL,'' he said. ''Combining with Nine does not enhance or detract from existing rights. The driver reason for working with Nine is all positive - it goes to expanding rights contained in the current deals in order for Fox Sports to give life to new opportunities such as 'all games live' on Fox Sports. It also goes to joint production of games, which may reduce costs.''

Fox Sports, which shows five NRL games a week live, clearly wants to broadcast a further three games concurrently with Nine.
A similar relationship between Foxtel and Seven - achieved with their $1.25 billion AFL deal - has all nine AFL games shown live on pay TV.

It is working well, with Easter Monday's Hawthorn-Geelong game shown on both Seven and pay TV, with 334,400 fans preferring to watch the game on Fox Sports rather than free-to-air TV.

Delany allayed another fear that Fox Sports, having reached near saturation subscription levels in the rugby league states, would not be motivated to pay the same as Foxtel has outlaid for AFL where subscriptions in Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia are significantly lower.

''Fox Sports still sees plenty of room for subscription growth among NRL fans and general sports fans in NSW and Queensland,'' he said. ''While it is true that we have good subscription TV saturation in both NSW and Queensland, when, say, compared to Victoria, there is plenty of growth left, especially if we can get new ways to present the NRL, such as every game live.''

The recently approved merger between Foxtel and Austar opens up opportunities for Fox Sports because of rugby league's strong following in rural and regional NSW and Queensland.

The AFL has significantly less support in regional Australia, which is why the southern code traditionally uses six capital city numbers when it boasts about free-to-air ratings.

Delany also sought to allay fears rugby league is at a disadvantage to AFL because rugby league's broadcasting contract was with Fox Sports, while the AFL is with Foxtel.

Foxtel is half-owned by Telstra, with News Ltd and James Packer's Consolidated Media Holdings each owning 25 per cent. News Ltd and CMH each owns half of Fox Sports.

Fox Sports charges Foxtel for the supply of NRL programming, including the cost of the rights.

Effectively, this means Telstra money goes directly to the AFL for AFL rights, while Telstra money goes to Rupert Murdoch and James Packer for NRL rights.

This arrangement has long been viewed as a means of Murdoch and Packer using rugby league to pay for their outlay during the Super League war, a conflict fought over pay-TV rights.
Delany insists the arrangement is merely historical, rather than conspiratorial: ''When subscription TV was originally set up, Fox Sports was paid on the basis that it attracted and paid for the NRL rights within the fees paid to Fox Sports by Foxtel,'' he said. ''At that stage Foxtel had no AFL rights. When the opportunity came up to get AFL rights in 2002 [via Nine] - Foxtel bid for the rights and created the first Fox Footy channel. In 2007, Foxtel again attracted the AFL rights [via Seven] but asked us to produce the games as it was within our core expertise. The same happened in 2012.''

Recent Foxtel internal research demonstrates that rugby league is vital to the success of the network and, furthermore, there are significant opportunities for growth.

Yet Foxtel will not bid against Fox Sports for NRL rights.

A Foxtel spokesman cited ''commercial in-confidence'' when asked why Foxtel would not bid, and a Telstra spokeswoman said the telco's interests were protected by having a representative on the Foxtel board.

Rugby league players, clubs and officials will have a strong indication of what the game will receive in less than three weeks when Nine and Fox Sports tender their separate first offers, together with a combined one.

The existing $500 million six-year deal will certainly be exceeded but in the unlikely event the top bid falls short of $1 billion over five years, the new ARL Commission will probably insist on a short-term deal, knowing broadcasters demand surety in their planning and programming. They will gamble on this strategy driving the broadcasters back to the negotiating table.
Image
PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron