Australian TV Broadcast Rights

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 47.50
Bank: 4,577,822.00
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:21 am
Well it looks like TEN is about to make first bid. With Seven, Nine and TEN all chasing the footy rights plus Foxtel as well its going to be one of the fiercest battles in quite a while. I must say Nine could be the real losers in all of this. Seven are after 1 Friday night match to complement the AFL, State of Origin and The Finals. If TEN are after Friday and Monday then where would this leave Nine. Remember if the bid is over 20% of the last rights then Nine loses its last bidding right. Also who's to say TEN don't want Sunday arvo too. Its going to be one interesting time thats for sure.

TV Tonight wrote:Report: TEN chasing NRL rights

There is speculation today that TEN is poised to make a bid on NRL rights ahead of Nine.

TEN is said to be keen about either the Friday game or even the Monday night match. NRL CEO David Gallop has held top-level discussions with acting TEN CEO Lachlan Murdoch in recent months.

Murdoch has also passed on the opportunity re-enter negotiations with Seven West Media for AFL games. Seven commercial director Bruce McWilliam lunched with Nine managing director Jeff Browne yesterday, sparking speculation Nine and Seven could do a deal over football rights.

NRL is looking for $1b for its free-to-air and pay-television rights.

But Nine has a first and last refusal on NRL rights and Seven is also keen to enter the negotiations.

If TEN grabs Monday night football, that could leave Fox Sports with its Super Saturday coverage.

Should TEN win the rights for Friday night, it would leave Nine with only the Sunday afternoon game.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,374.10
Bank: 659,744.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:17 pm
And NINE will only have themselves to blame for deplorable coverage they are providing the viewers.

One hopes that the NRL return to a Saturday Afternoon game.

This would be best, IMHO: 1xFriday Night, then Saturday at 3PM (old ABC Match of the day, maybe NINE could manage that LIVE but I doubt it) then FOX at 5PM, 7PM and 9PM, Sunday another MOTD at say 2PM then another 4PM (Both could be LIVE then, not like 9 now :evil: ) then finally the Monday Night at 7PM as now.
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
Alias Stuntman
Cash on hand: 25.00
Bank: 1,165,932.40
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 pm
Nine treats the NRL like a dogs breakfast. I hope anyone but Nine get the next rights because i am over Friday night and Sunday afternoon "delay" football. We get 1 game live per round on FTA. The AFL is at least 3 games LIVE. Its a complete and utter joke. Its like the roman times or something. Sport is only good when its live. I always try to avoid the news on a Friday night but get this, NBN had a sports break at 10pm 2 Friday's ago revealing the winner of the 2nd match! WTF is with that! Useless tools they are.
Lovin' Terra Nova, Glee, Rafters, Home and Away, Winners and Losers, Ellen Show, Greys Anatomy and X-Factor!
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:16 am
Anyway Australia is still lucky FTA still has the premium sports on FTA... at the moment...

GO TO AMERICA/ Canada... its nothing but dross on FTA tv!

If you want to watch ANYTHING worthwhile? You have to PAY for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst thing?

Canada/ America pumps out a 150 channels 24 hours a day!!!!!!! You can flip through all of them. And there is NOTHING worth watching
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:47 pm
Channel 10 is doing whatever it possibly can to never ever show afl again in channel 10's future

They are no longer showing the AFL in HD on the sports channel One

Oh and speaking of sports on channel 10, Lachlan Murdoch has reportedly given Sports Tonight the axe, sounds like its too much of a conflict of interest with Foxsports news
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 am
Its like all of a sudden they have turned on sports as a whole. I just don't get it. Well i do because of Murdoch. He saw a barrier, swooped in and you wait the F1 will soon be on FoxSports before you know it!

I just hope Seven take it in their stride to show us HD but i am not holding my breath. HD in this country stands for "help i'm dying"
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm
The worst thing is Channel 7 will be the only telecast provider of the AFL for the next rights period, and the quality of the television telecast they are providing is awful! One senses that the entire AFL season will be on Paytv except for the grand final

For the near future, I think Channel 7 will be showing more games on 7two/ 7mate next year as a result of holding the rights to 4 games a round
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:13 pm
Murdoch wants the Rugby, plain and simple. The guy doesn't like AFL, so he's dumped it so he can get his hands on the sport he does like.

That's my theory anyway. ;)
Oscar Winner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:27 pm
In theory...

In theory Communism Works... In theory
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 am
$1.4bn? :o Are they kidding themselves here? I was thinking around the $900m-1bn mark but 1.4? Either they have got some ridiculous offer or are in dreamland. I can see how it could happen if they split the finals series, regular rounds, State of Origin and Test Matches up but thats a high price. Good luck with it.

I must say with Nine's $3.6bn debt how can they afford something like this. I got this figure from TV Tonight.

Daily Telegraph wrote:NRL aiming for record $1.4 billion TV deal

IT will be the richest sports deal in Australian television history - a $1.4 billion bonanza that will see the NRL obliterate the AFL to secure the most lucrative TV rights payment seen in this country.

That is the scenario sold to NRL club chairmen and CEOs yesterday when they were briefed on the possible outcomes for rugby league in the upcoming broadcast rights negotiations. A startling figure of $1.4 billion - which would surpass the NRL's current deal by $900 million - was put forward as a possibility when negotiations are finalised for 2013 and beyond.

Colin Smith, from Melbourne-based electronic strategic consultants LEK, addressed the meeting of the code's officials at Coogee. Mr Smith, who is employed by the NRL, told his audience rugby league had more TV viewers and should obtain more cash than AFL, which has attracted a $1.25 billion deal.

He said the NRL could look at three scenarios - a $1 billion deal, a $1.2 billion deal and, finally, a bullish $1.4 billion deal - giving all clubs the chance to share in the NRL's bulging bank balance.

At present, 37 per cent of revenue is directed through grants to clubs, which is equal to the AFL. But with a huge TV deal, clubs want the independent commission to determine whether that share should increase.

NRL CEO David Gallop would not comment on exact TV figures discussed at yesterday's meeting, but said: "We worked through some scenarios. Obviously we have looked at the media landscape and what our expectations are and given the game is going so well on television.

"We modelled a number of assumptions. They are assumptions only. We modelled a scenario where everyone will be happy."

Mr Gallop said while negotiations were yet to commence, a good deal of preparation had been undertaken.

"The clubs went away comfortable that, when the negotiations can start, we are in good shape," he said.

Asked if the deal could surmount AFL's broadcast contract, Mr Gallop said: "I know you want me to tell you a number but I'm not going to.

"We are certainly conscious of the result the AFL got and conscious of how well our game is going. You can draw your own inferences from that."

NRL provided 77 of the top 100 shows on pay TV last year, while 3.765 million nationally watched the State of Origin decider this month.

Asked was NRL now ahead of AFL, Mr Smith said: "In TV audience, it is. Foxtel's pay TV for NRL is up 20 percent.

"And then you look at State of Origin, just under 11 million viewers.

"This is a fantastic television sport. It is the leader."
PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion