Aussie Sitcoms

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...

Game Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:56 am
Well, what about "Double the Fist"?
Here we had a brilliant, original, hilarious comedy program, and it never got off the ground because of the idiots who run Network TV channels. They'd rather spew out crap like Skithouse, Clever, and Bert's Family Feud.
DTF was majorly underfunded by the ABC (the only channel who funded them, giving them less than $150,000 for 8 episodes, all of which went to the crew), forcing the 4 guys who made it to put a lot of their own money into the show, leaving them struggling to pay rent or even buy food! Then, after all this crap they had to put up with, when they finished the ABC put it on at 11:30pm on a Friday night and didn't even advertise for it! THEN, as if that wasn't enough, they cancelled the show for poor ratings!
However, a slight silver lining is that DTF did win the AFI for best comedy series that year.
Still, despite all this, the show was, and remains, cancelled ever since late 2004.
The only people to blame for the demise of this truly Australian, brilliant show were the TV networks who refused to finance quality.
Australians can make a great comedy, and although DTF was truly Australian, it had the potential for an overseas market. Usually a great Australian TV show is only made for an Australian audience, like Glass House, or anything by the Chaser boys or John Safran, but DTF was a rare exception.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work.

Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 108,414.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:54 am
* bump *

It would be great if we produced more sitcoms. It's been quite scarce lately. In 'recent' times, we've had just a handful of sitcoms (mainly on the ABC)

- In 2010, we've had: The Librarians (airing 3 seasons to date) and Review with Myles Barlow, Wilfred
- Recently: Studpid Stupid Man, Very Small Business and 30 Seconds (not sure if it aired in 2010), Any others?

And SBS, PLEASE just air the second season of Swift and Shift Couriers. I've been waiting 2 years for this already filmed show to air! Shame on you, SBS
Cash on hand: 770.00
Bank: 1,279,451.00
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am
I want us to produce another laugh track sitcom, not like Kath and Kim though, something that is believable at least. It is about time!

Reality Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 80.00
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:41 pm
I hate Australian comedies - it's not the low production values (I watch The Mighty Boosh) but it's the awful writing. I'm sick of being told overrated pieces of crap like Kath and Kim and Summer Heights High are funny, they're not - they're boring. I'm been told by a teacher I have an "American sense of humour" (whatever the hell that exactly means) and yes I do lean more towards US comedies like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, Family Guy, etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:45 pm
We have had a few sitcoms over the last few years, but when was the last time we had one that was set in front of a studio audience (or one that involves a laugh track like some American sitcoms)? Years ago??? Or even decades??

They may be "out-of-date", but I miss these sort of sitcoms.

However, we have had a few sitcoms air over the last years and Australian Sitcoms aren't dead... yet. Most of our sitcoms have aired on the ABC and SBS. Some sitcoms include: It's a Date; Please Like Me; 8mmm; Upper Middle Bogan; Housos (and sketch shows: Kinne and Open Slather). Any I missed?

We also have The Ex-PM, a new sitcom to air soon on the ABC, starring Shaun Micallef. I'm looking forward to this one.

What is everyone's thoughts on our current sitcoms and past ones?
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 10,923.30
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:00 pm
Utopia with Rob Sitch is probably the benchmark at the moment

It has an interesting cast, its got Anthony "Lehmo" Lehmann and Kitty Flanagan, but who makes the show is Celia Pacquola. Shes actually a stand up comedian, but her "reasonable" character in midst of all the madness in the office which makes the show, shes got the eye-rolling facial expression down pat

Other productions, at the moment theres Fresh Blood Pilot Season on ABC Iview, its a bit hit and miss, but its trying a variety mixture style series with the types of form comedy can be

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm
Oh yeah, there's Utopia. Forgot that.

I think it's the best one we've had over the last few years. It has a good cast in it. Celia Pacquola is great in it.
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 2,293,634.50
Mood: Happy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:28 pm
I watched an episode of The Bob Morrison Show that was on YouTube just the other day. I thought it was alright.
2010B & 2011A TvAus Ratings Comp Winner, TvAus AFL Tipping Comp: 2011 Co-Winner, 2012 Runner-up.

Member 18685 - an asset of NSW.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 am
Although revealed a few months ago, here is a little surprise. Channel Nine will be airing an Australian Sitcom (in February), called "Here Comes the Habibs". It had been a while since a commercial station aired an Aussie sitcom.

From memory, this new show is only a 6-part series. It follows a Lebanese family from the outer suburbs of Sydney who win the lotto and buy a mansion in a poshy Sydney suburb.

Going from the ads, it looks okay. I will at least give it a go.
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 16,354.10
Bank: 659,744.00
Mood: not sure
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:50 pm
yellow sock wrote:Although revealed a few months ago, here is a little surprise. Channel Nine will be airing an Australian Sitcom (in February), called "Here Comes the Habibs". It had been a while since a commercial station aired an Aussie sitcom.

From memory, this new show is only a 6-part series. It follows a Lebanese family from the outer suburbs of Sydney who win the lotto and buy a mansion in a poshy Sydney suburb.

Going from the ads, it looks okay. I will at least give it a go.
In my emails today I got one about a petition been set up to have 9 not run this program. Should still be inn my deleted items I think.

Watch this space.
Candy Royalle
Sydney, Australia

Sign Candy's petition

Channel 9 have recently started promo's for their show "Here Come the Habib's!" the premise being a low socio-economic family of Lebanese Muslims winning the lottery and moving into a white neighbourhood. The promo's play on every single racist stereotype imaginable including Aladdin-esque style fonts, "bro" style characters and shameless mocking of culture. The current level of Islamophobia and anti-Arab sentiment is already high in Australia. A show like this, which takes Australia back at least 20 years, does nothing to promote a cohesive society but instead furthers perpetuated stereotypes. As a first generation Australian, born to Lebanese parents, I have experienced the ugliness of racism - racist jokes, stereotypes, assumptions. Shows like these perpetuate misinformation and separate me and others like me from other Australians. Channel 9, pull this show. Do not contribute to racism in Australia. Do not alienate non-white Australians by using cheap racist jokes.
BRING BACK LETTERS AND NUMBERS
PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion