Aussie Sitcoms

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:53 pm
Pizza and We Can Be Heroes are the only 2 "sitcoms" on our screens this year.

Bring back Acropolis Now and Kath & Kim
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:27 am
They're used to be way more aussie comedies on screen - what happened to the type of sitcoms we used to have like - Hey Dad! which was in front of a live audience - i think the networks need to trial doing this again.

Neighbours Extra
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:58 am
[quote:8683fcf13b="Stratman"]The reason why is because of the budget. Comedy writing is a team game. Most Australian shows are written by one or two people, while an American sitcom usually has atleast 10 writers on staff at all time, 'The Simpsons' has two.

Look at 'We Could Be Heroes'. which I decided to call 'Weak Could Be Heroes' after sitting through ten minutes of the first episode. It's just not funny. And don't even get me started on the fact that it flows like a school play, plus the characters are uninteresting, and too average. That's not what people want to see. They can see that 24 hours a day.[/quote:8683fcf13b]

Few things to say,

'Comedy writing is a team game' - Look at some of the classic comedies fawlty towers, the office, the young ones, frontline, these have been written by only a few writers and are amongst the finest tv comedy ever produced. Team writing does produce some great comedy but it also produces alot of crap. One problem with team writing is that the original inspiration can be lost in such a large group and ideas become homoginesed to appease the large group of writers.

Have you seriously only seen 10 minutes of 'We Can Be Heroes'? All i can say is that you are missing out. Try getting a tape of last weeks episode, this is amongst the best 30 minutes of television i have seen. WCBH is seriously an all time classic and is up there with Seinfeld and Arrested Development.

'it flows like a school play', hey it's not a sitcom, it's a mockumentary. And just like real life, it can't be packed neatly into a half hour package as a sitcom would do.

'Characters are uninteresting and too average'. There is nothing average about these characters. Come on rolling to Ayers rock, an ear transplant.

'Weak could be heroes' Great pun, comedy genius.

Neighbours Extra
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:32 am
[quote="Stratman"][quote="kichigai1"][quote:86bb0cdf52="Stratman"]
As for the pun, I think it's far from comedy genius.
[/quote:86bb0cdf52]

I was being sarcastic.

As for WCBH, we'll have to agree to disagree. You do seem to have good taste in comedy, it's just a pity that this one didn't do it for you.
Logie Winner
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:39 pm
How old is this topic?! Just wanted to post my thoughts as I was thinking about this today.

One of the biggest problems is budget and production values - and thats already been covered.

I could never see an issue with casting though. I think we have more talent than we can handle and each new day brings a new crop of young actors hoping to work.

Another is that when we create an aussie sitcom - it becomes an aussie sitcom. Aside from Kath n Kim, the shows seem to become very aussie based and try to bash us down with Australian slang and culture and with a nation that is submerged in american culture via the media, it's now wonder these shows are sinking. Why can't we have a sitcom that is made in australia, has an Australian production company and features the work of Australian directors, writers and actors without it being 'too Australian?'
Logie Winner
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:53 am
"our comedies, and dramas for that matter, need to stop trying to not be American"

Exactly. It's as if it's purposly done to make it stand out but not in a Kath n Kim way.
Oscar Presenter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:26 pm
Our culture is sinking - this is bad. I don't want everything to be Americanised.
[color=greenf1][bf1]"I'll just jump in my time machine, go back to the 12th century, and ask the vampires to postpone their ancient prophecy for a few days while you take in dinner and a show."
"Okay, at this point, you're abusing sarcasm." --[/colorf1][/bf1]
[bf1]Giles and Buffy[/bf1]
PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion