Aussie Sitcoms

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Oscar Nominee
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:14 pm
What's the story - where have they gone? Bar ABC's 'Kath & Kim' [hey networks r u noting what a huge hit it is!?!] it seems like we rarely make sitcoms here......If I'm wrong let me know cos I'm struggling to recall good aussie sitcoms or hec even bad ones.

"Us and Them"
"Acropolis Now"
"All Together Now"
"Flat Chat" - which I really liked but lasted half a second.
"Mother & Son" - probably our best!
"Hey Dad"
...help me out here

Think of all the great British sitcoms, its a bit embarrassing that a country that prides itself on its sense of humour haven't produced any quality sitcoms that last in recent years - heck we all know we're funnier than the poms :P ....is it because Aussie comedies are harder to sell overseas? Do they not get our sense of humour?

Slightly off topic but I was also wondering why someone doesn't try & make a show based around sport be it drama or comedy....aussies love sport but once again I struggle to recall a series being made around that basis....then again I can't think of many international sports drama/comedies either except that James Nesbitt show "Playing the Field."

How about pinching Crackerjack's success & making it a series - or another good aussie movie Australian Rules ...just please something new cos reality tv is getting to me! :twisted: :? :( 8)

oooh 999 posts :twisted:
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:54 pm
i'd say australian's are better known for their sketch-comedy, stand-up's and the "relatively" recent discussion panel-esqe (to coin a new phrase) comedies that started with good news week and culminated in shows like the panel, rather than actual sitcoms.

we have had a few classic sitcoms in the past though, and good on Kath and Kim for helping to revive the genre....

know doubt there's someone else right now (from a commercial station) trying to rip off the formula..... not that its exactly new [i:45bf360285]cough cough[/i:45bf360285] absolutely fabulous. ;)

and we can't forget the recent success of 'pizza' (2001-2002) on SBS.

luckily, what little there's been these past few years has been of a suprisingly high standard.
Oscar Nominee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:31 am
[quote:a4ff36bd2d="Dan"]i'd say australian's are better known for their sketch-comedy, stand-up's and the "relatively" recent discussion panel-esqe (to coin a new phrase) comedies that started with good news week and culminated in shows like the panel, rather than actual sitcoms. [/quote:a4ff36bd2d]

Yeh you're right we do sketch & panel shows better. Thanks heavens for the Working Dog team or we'd have nothing to laugh at!

[quote:a4ff36bd2d="Dan"]we have had a few classic sitcoms in the past though, and good on Kath and Kim for helping to revive the genre....and we can't forget the recent success of 'pizza' (2001-2002) on SBS.[/quote:a4ff36bd2d]

But when you think about it Kath & Kim and Pizza aren't actually sitcoms, there's no live audience. Maybe that's what we do better - comedy without canned laughter in which case we've got something to celebrate.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:12 pm
I agree with that, the old "sitcom" stuff that we made doesn't strike as much. To coin Dan's new phrase, the Panel-esqe shows are better to me than those other sitcoms. Even Kath and Kim doesn't really interest me that much.

TV Watcher
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:39 pm
[b:e65c3eaa91][i:e65c3eaa91]i must admit that im not into the aussie programs they jus aint good, the only decent aussie shows i have seen are mother and son and the panel when more come 2 mind ill post them up :lol: , i cant stand home and away there is something about watching a program where kids such as 13 yr old fall in love and have there dramas it makes me sick. i know we try to block out the american shows to keep it all aussie but u must admit there shows kick ass ova the ones here in aussie.[/i:e65c3eaa91][/b:e65c3eaa91]
>>never care what other people think<<
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:06 pm
As I get older, I'm really not liking many Aussie shows. All I watch is Aussie Idol and Neighbours (how embarrassing :oops: )...
I tend to watch American shows because they are of more quality, and they ensure enjoyement.... plus there's a ton of them!!! Even American kids shows are enjoyable.
Although, I'm not baggin Australia's failure to make quality drama (I just don't think McLeod's is that 'rare', as they put it once), I did quite enjoy Always Greener, A Country Practice, and for a while..... Home and Away....... in the Shane and Angel Days.

Weather Presenter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:37 pm
I went to a focus group a few years ago to give feedback for a new channel Ten sitcom pilot called "Dags" based on the movie "Dags" based on the play "Dags".

The star of the show (and the movie) was Tanya Bulmar (GNW, and now co-presenter for Triple M Brisbane). But the show was dreadful. Really bad production values and the actor thought they were performing in a theatre (talking to each other by looking over their shoulders with their chest to the audience).
After the bad reviews we all gave, needless to say it never saw the light of day, instead Ten decided to go ahead with Sit Down Shut Up.
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:16 am
I know this is kind off topic but like someone said above one of the main reasons I prefer American TV shows over Australian TV shows is the production values for American shows are simply much better. That's obviously because shows over there obviously have moremoney to spend on the overall product. Like simple things like camera shots from multiple angles helps a show. Look at Blue Heelers as an example. When ever they are in the police station and interrogation room all the damn shots are done from the same side of the set. You never see it from the 'reverse' angle which is quite common in American dramas. Obviously, this is because they only build a 'half' set here where as in American dramas they have a 'full' set.

Granted, for the few sitcoms made here with the laugh track the sets and production values are pretty much the same in comparison, but with the dramas it makes a HUGE difference, atleast in my opinion.

But when they have those half sets on dramas here it feels like I'm watching a loving soap opera like Neighbours and Home & Away. No offense to the production values of those shows as they are soap operas and they dont need to look that good but when I watch a prime time drama I want the thing to look realistic and overall I want it to look GOOD and that effort has been put into it.

Plus with American shows in general I like them more because they are simply overall better than Australians. Now, I know if lijijil was here he'd go "That's not true Cale! Aussie true blue all the way!" but American networks simply have a much larger 'pool' of shows and scripts and writers to pick from. The population of the USA is [b:acd30d8bff]18[/b:acd30d8bff] times bigger than Australia. The networks over there have a TONS larger pool of shows/writers all those things to choose from. Plus Americans care (or atleast watch) more TV than us so more people are interested in making shows.

The shows that make it to TV over there are simply better because of all these things combined.

And that's why American shows are 95% of the time better than the Australian show thats on the other channel.

Well, sorry to of topic a bit there but I felt I had to say that.

And if anyone cares the only scripted Australian show that I watch is Kath & Kim, which I feel is the only Australian comedy that will 'live forever' so to speak. Sort of like the Seinfeld of Australia :P
Sopranos Mobster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:19 am
Cale not all Aussie soaps are shot from one sided sets. All Saints is shot at Concorde Hospital in Sydney, and I am pretty sure they use an old ward for it. Heartbreak High used an old High School to film in.

I hope that this post doesn't sound attacking, cause it is not meant to be. Just informative....
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:31 pm
[quote:6a8ea15e98="Cinnamon"]Cale not all Aussie soaps are shot from one sided sets. All Saints is shot at Concorde Hospital in Sydney, and I am pretty sure they use an old ward for it. Heartbreak High used an old High School to film in.

I hope that this post doesn't sound attacking, cause it is not meant to be. Just informative....[/quote:6a8ea15e98]

Using an example from an old show aimed at teenagers doesn't really help. And with All Saints even though its filmed in an old hospital (apparently) it still looks crap.
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion