Fast-Tracked Shows from the US

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...

Reality Show Contestant
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:48 pm
Hi, I've been watching shows direct from The U.S. for around four years now, I know, I'm hurting the advertising industry, and honestly, I would watch these shows if they were on at the same time. I have no real problem with ads. One of the reasons I like television so much is the discussion I can have over similar message boards about particular shows, and watching them via the Internet allows me to keep up to date with my favourite shows.

So this fast-tracking system sounded perfect. But right now I'm finding it hard to understand when all these shows are being aired. I saw a promo for Prison Break; next Wednesday, I believe referring to the 26th of September. So of course my question is: why are these shows being promoted as "directly from the US" when it appears on Australian screens a week late? I mean, the whole idea for this is to try to stop people doing what I do, but they make the whole process unattractively late.

I saw an advert for Californication, promoted as being streamed 100% direct. Well, actually, it as well is a week old. I'm not one to complain, and would really like to be able to watch television the way I used too, but are they really expecting the nation who obtains the show from The U.S. to change their habits because shows are now only a week late?

I don't know the costs involved with these fast-tracks, maybe they're too expensive to get here that fast, and living in such a different time-zone complicates things even further. But I remember last year, on possibly more than one occasion, Canada managed to air Heroes a [u6e]day before[/u6e] The U.S., so anything seems possible.

I don't want to sound ignorant, and I do understand seasonal influences in Australia affect when the high-rated shows should be most effectively aired. It's just a shame, the Internet has made things too easy and expedient, and at the end of the day, either Australia misses out on American television -- which I also should say, has a lot of poor, misguided shows on mass, but is also irrefutably of a higher quality than what is being produced in Australia now -- or the networks continue to lose viewer-ship.

Sorry for the wall of text; I get on rants and can't stop. Thanks.
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:52 pm
Very true. If the networks are promoting something to be fast tracked and direct from the US, they should try and have it on Australian screens within three days of it screening in the US, or the idea is rather pointless. :shrug:

I'll still download shows like Heroes, etc. as I like watching the shows in my own time, whether it be in the morning, or late at night. I hate being told at what times I have to watch my shows. The advertisements aren't a problem, because it gives me time to get up and do something quickly before a show comes back on.
[be9][color=violete9]Voted "Biggest Contributor to TVAus" (jointly with Ellecee and aliasfanjay), in the First Annual TVAus Awards.[/colore9][/be9]

Reality Show Contestant
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 pm
Oh, I should add: They're fast tracking Bionic Woman? Why not a show that's expected to succeed in The U.S.?

I know they can't pick 'em all, but Seven has lost the plot here.
Hollywood Legend
Cash on hand: 4,307.10
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:21 pm
Yes, but what happens when one of the american channels immediately change their schedule, ie for sport or whatnot, then the fta networks here will have nothing to show.

I agree, 1 week is a bit too long, but Im sure someone might have an answer.

At least it is better than 1 year. :P

Reality Show Contestant
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:59 pm
What Mitch said is also very true, downloading basically supersedes PVR's or TiVo; it offers so much more than networks have to give.

My gripe is I really don't mind. I tolerate advertising, and anything I miss I can always catch up on. It's up to the networks to supply the shows at a reasonable pace, if they expect us to watch. YouTube started mere years ago, and it's resurfaced the way people view A/V information or entertainment. Broadband is becoming cheaper and faster. Where do the networks think the world is heading?

They are trying to make changes, and I reiterate that I don't know the cost or legalities involved, but I honestly don't believe their efforts will salvage any viewers, and are more likely to open more peoples eyes to the majority and ease of watching American television.
Cash on hand: 16,698.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:03 am
fast tracked/direct from the US is just another way of telling
people that they don't have to wait for those shows cause
we usually have to wait till February. although its not 100%
like TEN say it is much better getting it sooner then later!

1 week is not that long, if you can't wait 1 week then you've got
problems! not many people could be bothered downloading them
but at least now they don't have to wait. your lucky they are giving
these shows to us as early as they can. be greatfull!

im sure they need time to create promos and if say the US
has a week off for what ever reason then at least seven or
ten don't have to take it off, they'll have the following week
to fill the gap and when it returns in the US it very well may
be days that we get it after the US.
Cash on hand: 3,201.80
Mood: Cool
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:05 am
Well id still rather 1 week delay than 6+ weeks.
Rocking with Bon Jovi: Perth Dec 8th // Sydney Dec 17th // Sydney Dec 19th

Cash on hand: 1,563.90
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:13 am
I'm still downloading, can;t tolerate the ad breaks anymore, and no I can't tape them and fast forward as most of the shows I like are on 10 and we only get that station on digital here in Tas and haven't worked out how to tape from the set top box. Anyway Californication is TWO weeks behind!
[img3e]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/ricsbride/signatures/TrueBloodAds_Season2_006.jpg[/img3e]
Cash on hand: 302.60
Bank: 2,284,148.00
Mood: feeling festive
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:22 am
I don't bother downloading fast tracked shows at all. I don't have an issue waiting a couple of weeks and US seasons do tend to have interuptions anyway as Rich has noted. I won't wait months for shows though and I also won't miss out on shows either not screened in Australia, or those screened on a network not broadcast in my regional area. I recall reading a news release that the reason Survivor is no longer fast-tracked in Australia is the additional cost not being warranted by the shows ratings.

I don't have an issue taping from either of my STBs but I have no idea how they were set up as we paid a guy from the local electrical store to hook everything up together including Austar, the surround sound sytem and the STB. From memory it cost us $50 but was well worth the cost. 8)
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 3,340.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am
[quote:862882de6c="Serenity"]I'm still downloading, can;t tolerate the ad breaks anymore, and no I can't tape them and fast forward as most of the shows I like are on 10 and we only get that station on digital here in Tas and haven't worked out how to tape from the set top box. Anyway Californication is TWO weeks behind![/quote:862882de6c]

I'm still downloading as well. Although, its mostly out of convinience. Its just so much easier to download and watch when I want. I could PVR them, but its just not as reliable and as easy as downloading.

As I've said before, its a step in the right direction, but its not enough for me. :?
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion