The AACTA (AFI) Awards

How much do you love your TV? Gossip, news, programming, and ratings. A place to chat about Documentaries, Games shows, Ads...
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 9,674.60
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:49 pm
[b49] This is the thread for the 2005 AFI (Australian Film Institute) Awards.[/b49]

After months of speculation, plans for the L’Oreal Paris 2005 AFI Awards, to be held in Melbourne on 25 and 26 November are confirmed. The Australian Film Institute and recently-appointed producer of the 2005 AFI Awards, Paul Dainty of Dainty Consolidated Entertainment, have announced a major revamp of the awards this year. The revamp includes:

A Superstar Host
A Major Naming Rights Sponsor
A Commercial Television Broadcast
A New Format To The Awards Ceremony
A New Popular Choice AFI Award
The Creation Of A New Craft Awards Event
The Acquisition Of Two Stunning Venues
A Major Red Carpet Event

Chairman of the Australian Film Institute, Denny Lawrence said of the awards “With the most exciting range of features for many years – from gritty genre films to strong personal statements, and with some immensely recognisable cast names – the 2005 AFI Awards promises to be a great event capping a comeback year.”

There are 17 feature films entered into the 2005 AFI Awards and this year’s entries include a rich and highly diverse line-up of Australian productions. They are A Man’s Gotta Do, Dreams For Life, Hating Alison Ashley, Human Touch, Little Fish, Look Both Ways, Lost Things, Oyster Farmer, Peaches, The Extra, The Illustrated Family Doctor, The Magician, The Proposition, The Widower, Three Dollars, Wolf Creek and You And Your Stupid Mate.

The newly created AFI Craft Awards will take place on Friday 25 November at Waterfront City Pavilion and the AFI Awards Dinner will be held on Saturday 26 November at Melbourne Central City Studios.

Paul Dainty said “The rebuilding and repositioning of the AFI Awards is a fantastic opportunity to stamp the awards as the film and television industry’s premier awards. We have made some major changes to the event format and secured some integral ongoing partnerships, including our new naming rights sponsor L’Oreal Paris, which will see the awards grow into the event they so rightly deserve to be. I am particularly pleased that we have selected venues that will be completely new to our audience, with Melbourne Central City Studios having the obvious connection with the industry and Waterfront City being Melbourne’s latest entertainment destination.”

The L’Oreal Paris 2005 AFI Awards are the Australian film industry’s premier awards, recognising excellence and celebrating success in film and television. For the second year the AFI Awards will be the pinnacle event of Melbourne on Screen, one week of exciting events for the film, television and new media sectors which runs from November 24 to 29.

“This November, all eyes will be on Melbourne’s Docklands precinct, as Central City Studios and Waterfront City host the AFI Awards,” said Premier of Victoria, Steve Bracks.

“Melbourne has been home to the AFI Awards since 2001, reinforcing Victoria’s position as a leader in film and television. The Victorian Government has identified the film and television industry as a major economic driver in this State.

“At Docklands, we now have the world-class studio facilities essential for long-term growth in the industry. Since opening in March 2004, the studios have attracted productions with total budgets of more than $200 million,” added Mr Bracks.

2005 marks the 47th AFI Awards and this year the awards ceremony will be hosted by Australian film icon and AFI supporter Russell Crowe. Russell has promised that the event will be "irreverent and respectful in equal measures. Interesting TV, that's the aim. Fast paced, fun and most importantly celebratory of this years nominees."

The Awards and highlights of the red carpet event will be televised on the Nine Network on Saturday 26 November.

This year the AFI Awards recognise the talent and innovation of artists working behind the camera and behind the scenes in the Australian film and television industry with a new event, the 2005 AFI Craft Awards presented by Digital Pictures. This new event turns the spotlight on the people we don’t see on screen including our cinematographers, editors, production designers, composers, sound and costume designers. The 2005 AFI Craft Awards will celebrate excellence and achievement across feature film, non-feature and television categories. The AFI Craft Awards will take place on Friday 25 November at the Waterfront City Pavilion.

The AFI Awards Dinner will take place on Saturday 26 November at Melbourne Central City Studios, at Melbourne Docklands. The enormous Sound Stage #1 will be transformed into a glamorous and intimate setting for the night. The awards format will be changed from a broad theatre-based ceremony to a more exclusive sit-down dinner format. This will provide a more entertaining audience experience than the previous theatre-based events, and allow guests to more fully engage with each other and the show.

Preceding the awards ceremony, a spectacular red carpet event and glamorous cocktail party will take place at the Waterfront City Pavilion, which is located in the heart of the brand new Waterfront City Melbourne precinct and is complemented by a vibrant harbourside piazza and marina. The stars will arrive at the red carpet by limousine or boat and proceed to the stunning new Waterfront City Pavilion for a pre awards cocktail party. From there, guests will move along a vast red carpet, which will connect Waterfront City to Melbourne Central City Studios, for the sit-down Awards Ceremony.

ING REDA Managing Director Mark Broomfield is confident that Waterfront City is a fitting venue for such a star-studded event, he said “Waterfront City will next year unveil the Variety Australian Entertainers of the Century Mural and Walk of Fame, a tribute to Australia’s rich and talented entertainment history. This along with the Southern Star Observation Wheel, demonstrates our commitment to making this precinct an entertainment destination for visitors. We are thrilled to welcome the L’Oreal Paris 2005 AFI Awards to Waterfront City as the first chapter in this exciting story.”

Another major change for 2005 is the creation of a new AFI Popular Choice Award whereby, for the first time ever, the Australian public will be able to participate in the AFI Awards by SMS voting for their favourite actor or actress from a feature film or television program.

In a major coup, the AFI Awards has secured L’Oreal Paris as the naming rights sponsor for the 2005 AFI Awards. L’Oreal Paris Managing Director, Mark Tucker said of the deal "L'Oréal Paris is very excited to announce its naming rights sponsorship of the L'Oréal Paris 2005 AFI Awards. L'Oréal Paris is a proud sponsor of the Cannes Film Festival and has enjoyed a successful partnership for a number of years. L'Oréal Paris global ambassadresses include Oscar winner, Charlize Theron, Andie MacDowell and Aishwarya Rai. L’Oreal Paris, working with actresses such as these from the entire world to express each and every woman’s beauty, shares the AFI’s passion for talent and cultural richness. It is for this reason that the brand is proud to take naming rights sponsorship of the 2005 AFI Awards.”

This year’s L’Oreal Paris 2005 AFI Awards promise to be the premier film event on the Australian Film Industry’s calendar.

[b49][i49][u49]Text Taken from the AFI Website, for more information on the AFI Awards visit the website, http://www.afi.org.au[/u49][/i49][/b49]
[img31]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k64/ryan_1890/ch-keyart.jpg[/img31]
[b31]AFTER ALL NEW MEDICAL EMERGENCY[/b31]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:03 pm
[b:9930e1457f]Nominations for the awards.[/b:9930e1457f]

L'ORÉAL PARIS AFI AWARD FOR BEST FILM

Little Fish, Vincent Sheehan, Liz Watts, Richard Keddie
Look Both Ways, Bridget Ikin
Oyster Farmer, Anthony Buckley, Piers Tempest
The Proposition, Chris Brown, Jackie O'Sullivan, Chiara Menage, Cat Villiers

FILM FINANCE CORPORATION AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR

Hugo Weaving, Little Fish
William McInnes, Look Both Ways
Guy Pearce, The Proposition
Ray Winstone, The Proposition

JAN LOGAN AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS

Saskia Burmeister, Hating Alison Ashley
Cate Blanchett, Little Fish
Justine Clarke, Look Both Ways
Frances O'Connor, Three Dollars

EMPIRE MAGAZINE AFI AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION

Little Fish, Rowan Woods
Look Both Ways, Sarah Watt
The Proposition, John Hillcoat
Wolf Creek, Greg McLean

AFI AWARD FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Little Fish, Jacquelin Perske
The Proposition, Nick Cave
Wolf Creek, Greg McLean

AFI AWARD FOR BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Hating Alison Ashley, Christine Madafferi
The Illustrated Family Doctor, Kriv Stenders, David Snell
The Widower, Lyndon Terracini
Three Dollars, Robert Connolly, Elliot Perlman

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Tracy Mann, Hating Alison Ashley
Noni Hazlehurst, Little Fish
Daniela Farinacci, Look Both Ways
Kestie Morassi, Wolf Creek,

PALACE CINEMAS AFI AWARD FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Martin Henderson, Little Fish
Anthony Hayes, Look Both Ways
John Hurt, The Proposition
Robert Menzies, Three Dollars

COMPLETE POST AFI AWARD FOR BEST EDITING

Little Fish, Alexandre de Franceschi ASE, John Scott ASE
Look Both Ways, Denise Haratzis ASE
The Proposition, Jon Gregory
Wolf Creek, Jason Ballantine

AFI AWARD FOR BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE

Little Fish, Nathan Larson
The Proposition, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis
Three Dollars, Alan John
Wolf Creek, Francois Tetaz

AFI AWARD FOR BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN

Little Fish, Luigi Pittorino
Look Both Ways, Rita Zanchetta
The Proposition, Chris Kennedy
Three Dollars, Luigi Pittorino

AFI AWARD FOR BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Hating Alison Ashley, Paul Warren
Little Fish, Melinda Doring
Look Both Ways, Edie Kurzer
The Proposition, Margot Wilson

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SOUND

Little Fish, Sam Petty, Peter Grace
Look Both Ways, Andrew Plain, Peter Smith, Toivo Lember
The Proposition, Tim Alban, Paul Davies, Craig Walmsley
Wolf Creek, Des Kenneally, Peter Smith, Pete Best, Tom Heuzenroeder

ATLAB AFI AWARD FOR BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Little Fish, Danny Ruhlmann ACS
Oyster Farmer, Alun Bollinger
The Proposition, Benoît Delhomme
Wolf Creek, Will Gibson

AFI AWARD FOR BEST CHILDREN'S TELEVISION DRAMA

Blue Water High, Dennis Kiely (ABC)
Holly's Heroes, Ann Darrouzet, Dave Gibson, Jenni Tosi (Nine Network)
Scooter: Secret Agent, Daniel Scharf, Jonathan Shiff (Network Ten)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST COMEDY SERIES

We Can Be Heroes, Laura Waters (ABC)
The Chaser Decides, Chaser Crackerjack (ABC)
John Safran vs God, John Safran, Selin Yaman (SBS)
Comedy Inc. - The Late Shift, David McDonald (Nine Network)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LIGHT ENTERTAINMENT SERIES

Enough Rope with Andrew Denton, Andrew Denton, Anita Jacoby (ABC)
The Glass House, Ted Robinson (ABC)
Spicks and Specks, Anthony Watt, Paul Clarke, Bruce Kane (ABC)
RocKwiz, Brian Nankervis, Ken Connor, Peter Bain-Hogg (SBS)

HOLDING REDLICH AFI AWARD FOR BEST TELEVISION DRAMA SERIES

Love My Way, Claudia Karvan, John Edwards (FOXTEL)
MDA, Denny Lawrence (ABC)
All Saints, MaryAnne Carroll (Seven Network)
Blue Heelers, David Clarke, Gus Howard (Seven Network)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST TELEFEATURE OR MINI SERIES

The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant, Andrew Benson, Greg Haddrick (Network Ten)
Little Oberon, Susan Bower (Nine Network)
Hell Has Harbour Views, Ian Collie (ABC)
Through My Eyes, Simone North, Tony Cavanaugh (Seven Network)

WATERFRONT CITY AFI AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN TELEVISION

Matthew Saville, We Can Be Heroes (Ep 5) (ABC)
David McDonald, Comedy Inc. - The Late Shift (Ep 1) (Nine Network)
Peter Andrikidis, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)
Jessica Hobbs, Love My Way (Ep 8)(FOXTEL)

MELBOURNE CENTRAL CITY STUDIOS AFI AWARD FOR BEST SCREENPLAY IN TELEVISION

Chris Lilley, We Can Be Heroes (Ep 1) (ABC)
Peter Berry, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)
Jacquelin Perske, Love My Way (Ep 9) (FOXTEL)
Greg Haddrick, MDA (Ep 12)(ABC)

KPMG AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTOR IN TELEVISION

Chris Lilley, We Can Be Heroes (ABC)
Alex O'Loughlin, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)
Dan Wylie, Love My Way (FOXTEL)
Shane Bourne, MDA (ABC)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST LEAD ACTRESS IN TELEVISION

Sigrid Thornton, Little Oberon (Nine Network)
Claudia Karvan, Love My Way (FOXTEL)
Miranda Otto, Through My Eyes (Seven Network)
Romola Garai, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTOR IN TELEVISION

Frank Gallacher, MDA (Ep 12) (ABC)
Max Cullen, Love My Way (Ep 8) (FOXTEL)
Tony Barry, Hell Has Harbour Views (ABC)
Steve Bisley, Hell Has Harbour Views (ABC)

AFI AWARD FOR BEST GUEST OR SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN TELEVISION

Anita Hegh, MDA (Ep 6) (ABC)
Angie Milliken, Through My Eyes (Seven Network)
Alyssa McClelland, Small Claims, White Wedding (Network Ten)
Alice McConnell, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)

DIGITAL PICTURES AFI AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN CRAFT IN

TELEVISION Brian Alexander, Production Design,Scooter: Secret Agent (Network Ten)
Tim Ferrier, Production Design, The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant (Network Ten)
John Safran, Original Concept, John Safran vs God (SBS)
Louis Irving ACS, Cinematography, Love My Way (FOXTEL)

AFI YOUNG ACTOR AWARD

Sophie Luck, Blue Water High
Maddi Newling, Danya
Brittany Brynes, Little Oberon
Joanna Hunt-Prokhovnik, Three Dollars

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SHORT FICTION FILM

A Message From Fallujah Richard Gibson
Azadi Anthony Maras
Jewboy Tony Krawitz
The Eye Inside Cordelia Beresford

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SHORT ANIMATION

2:41 Upfield Callum Cooper
Fritz Gets Rich Eddie White, James Calvert
Piñata Mike Hollands
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello Anthony Lucas

AFI AWARD FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY

Girl in a Mirror Kathy Drayton
Jabe Babe: A Heightened Life Janet Merewether, Deborah Szapiro and Georgia Wallace-Crabbe
Killers in Eden Klaus Toft
Land Mines - A Love Story Dennis O'Rourke

AFI AWARD FOR BEST DIRECTION IN A DOCUMENTARY

Jabe Babe: A Heightened Life Janet Merewether
Girl in a Mirror Kathy Drayton
Abortion, Corruption and Cops - The Bertram Wainer Story John Moore
Killers in Eden Klaus Toft

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SCREENPLAY IN A SHORT FILM

Barely Visible Jody Dwyer
Jewboy Tony Krawitz
The Djarn Djarns Wayne Blair
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello Mark Shirrefs

AFI AWARD FOR BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY IN A NON-FEATURE

Opal Fever Corey Piper
Abortion, Corruption and Cops - The Bertram Wainer Story Jenni Meaney
Jewboy Greig Fraser
The Eye Inside Cordelia Beresford

AFI AWARD FOR BEST SOUND IN A NON-FEATURE

Vietnam Symphony Leo Sullivan, Tony Vaccher, Danny Longhurst
Iraq, My Country Doron Kipen, Emma Bortignon, Ken Sallows A.S.E.
Cool Basil Krivoroutchko, Davin Patterson
Jewboy Sam Petty

AFI AWARD FOR BEST EDITING IN A NON-FEATURE

Mr Patterns James Bradley
All Points of the Compass Paul Hamilton, Michael Horton
Jewboy Jane Moran
The Djarn Djarns Henry Dangar

AFI AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN CRAFT IN A NON-FEATURE

Jabe Babe: A Heightened Life Production Design, Karla Urizar
Knot at Home Project Production Initiative and Realisation, Phillip Crawford
Jewboy Performance, Ewan Leslie ‘Yuri’
The Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Morello Production Design, Anthony Lucas
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:47 pm
Wow I hope Little Fish and Look Both Ways clean up ;) Cate Blanchett is definitely worthy of best actress, and I cannot decide between Hugo Weaving and Will McInnes as best actor as they both did outstanding jobs.
I can see either Rowan Woods or Sarah Watt getting the director award, as everybody praised Sarah Watt so much for Look Both Ways and it really was a great film. But then Rowan Woods is so well respected from his films.
Nick Cave is awesome, would be good if he got original screenplay. Why has Wolf Creek been nominated when it is not out on the screens yet? (I know it has been unavoidably delayed) Does it not matter that it's not out at cinemas yet, because this is purely industry voted awards?
Both Noni Hazelhurst and Daniela Farinacci did great jobs in Little Fish and Look Both Ways- I was so touched with Daniela Farinacci's performance, it was amazing, and Noni Hazelhurst surprised me with how well she slipped into her role in Little Fish and just how much she made the role her own.
Little Fish has a great musical score ;) I am still trying to get my hands on the soundtrack. But since song writing and music is Nick Cave's forte I can see him getting this award.
It's fantastic to see Blue Heelers nominated for an industry award for once. This is John Wood's main gripe with Australian drama, and how it is not recognised enough, and I am in complete agreeance. He was very annoyed when Blue Heelers was not nominated for any industry voted most outstanding awards at the Logies this year, saying BH was overlooked unfairly. I reckon he's right.
However, saying that, and knowing absolute brilliance of Love My Way, I am expecting them to get this award for the drama.
Through my Eyes was a great mini series I thought, and I'd like to see that win in the telemovie/mini series category. I hope Miranda Otto gets the lead actress award, or Claudia Karvan :D
Steve Bisley was not really that great in Hell has Harbour Views, so I would love to see Frank Gallacher win the guest or supporting actor award, as he is great in anything he does in my opinion. I first noticed his greatness in Amy, and then was so pleased to see him in MDA earlier this year. He made that bunch of MDA episodes great.
I don't rememebr Angie Milliken in Through My Eyes at all, I guess cos there was such a wealth of fine actors and actresses in the series. But I certainly do remember Alyssa McClelland in Small Claims, and she is definitely a worthy nominee.

All in all a fantastic talented nominee list, and even though Australian content seems to be going through a shockingly low phase right now (hence why Little Fish, Look Both Ways and The Proposition seem to pop up in so many categories!) it's still great to see these great pieces recognised. It's a shame there is not more to nominate from, but I still think what has been made this year has been awesome.
[imgee]http://www.policeblueribbon.com.au/images/WEB-REMEMBER-BANNER.jpg[/imgee]

Belinda Emmett 1974 - 2006
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:18 pm
[b:ece9e466a1]Winners.[/b:ece9e466a1]

FEATURE FILM
Best Film
Look Both Ways, Bridget Ikin

Best Lead Actor
Hugo Weaving, Little Fish

Best Lead Actress
Cate Blanchett, Little Fish

Best Direction

Best Original Screenplay

Best Adapted Screenplay
Three Dollars, Robert Connolly, Elliot Perlman

Best Supporting Actress
Noni Hazlehurst, Little Fish

Best Supporting Actor
Anthony Hayes, Look Both Ways

Best Editing
Little Fish, Alexandre de Franceschi ASE, John Scott ASE

Best Original Music Score
The Proposition, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis

Best Production Design
The Proposition, Chris Kennedy

Best Costume Design
The Proposition, Margot Wilson

Best Sound
Little Fish, Sam Petty, Peter Grace, Robert Sullivan, Yulia Akerholt

Best Cinematography
The Proposition, Benoit Delhomme

TELEVISION CATEGORIES
Best Children's Television Drama
Holly's Heroes, Ann Darrouzet, Dave Gibson, Jenni Tosi (Nine Network)

Best Comedy Series
John Safran vs God, Selin Yaman, John Safran (SBS)

Best Light Entertainment Series
The Glass House, Ted Robinson (ABC)

Best Television Drama Series
Love My Way, John Edwards, Claudia Karvan (FOXTEL)

Best Telefeature or Mini Series
The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant, Andrew Benson, Greg Haddrick (Network Ten)

Best Direction in Television
Jessica Hobbs, Love My Way (Ep 8)(FOXTEL)

Best Screenplay in Television
Jacquelin Perske, Love My Way (Ep 9) (FOXTEL)

Best Lead Actor in Television
Shane Bourne, MDA (ABC)

Best Lead Actress in Television
Claudia Karvan, Love My Way (FOXTEL)

Best Guest or Supporting Actor in Television
Max Cullen, Love My Way (Ep 8) (FOXTEL)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 1,356.30
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:11 pm
I didnt know Australia made enough movies to host an award s show the only onews i know of this year are Hating ALision Ashley and wolf Creek
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 pm
John Safran Versus God won something at last.

About time.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:10 pm
I agree , 10:50pm on a Saturday night.

At least if the AFI gave the broadcast rights to 9 or 7, the ceremony would have been shown in a decent, maybe even live timeslot.

Cash on hand: 108,414.30
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:43 am
The Australian Film Institute (AFI) awards for 2006 was held on Thursday night. It was hosted by Geoffrey Rush, who hosted it well. It aired on Channel Nine. The 2 scenes between Heath Ledger and Magda Szubanski were funny (on the red carpet, and on stage). The winners for 2006 are:

Best film: Ten Canoes
Best actor: Shane Jacobson (Kenny)
Best Actress: Emily Barclay (Suburban Mayhem)
Best Director: don't know his name (Ten Canoes)
Best actor in a supporting role: Anthony Hayes (Suburban Mayhem)
Best actress in a supporting role: Susie Porter (The Catterpillar Wish)
Hollywood Movie Star
Cash on hand: 346.30
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:48 pm
it was a good night.

the coverage was good EXCEPT for the constant Loreal ads and the stupid shots of geoffrey rush interlaced with the red carpet interviews.

i love heath ledger, daniel radcliffe and Augie March - so i was happy.

i'm surprised julia zemiro wAS on channel nine - i thought she had more dignity than that.

yes and magda and heath were classic.

props to emily barclay for winning best actress.
"Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Next

Return to Miscellaneous & General TV Discussion