General Drama/Comedies News & Discussion

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory

Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 0.00
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:44 pm
Can anyone tell me when Will & Grace will be available?
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 17,131.40
Bank: 4,041.00
Mood: Tired
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:48 pm
Will and Grace Season 1 and 2 are both now available and have been for some time.

Video Ezy rental stores are the only place you'll find them though. They are 49.95 each set.

Season 3 is due later in the year.

Home and Away Star
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:08 pm
Bafta Nominee
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:08 pm
Well I went and brought Sliders and Quantum Leap yesterday. I have been watching them almost non stop since. Gee it brings back memories. I cant wait until the second season of Quantum Leap comes out. Any way back to the DVDs
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:02 am
Didn't know where to post this, but I recently emailed smh.com.au when they asked people about shows basly scheduled on TV and shock of shocks, they printed my article! :shock: This was ages ago (March 30), and I didn't even realise. Anyway, this is a good a place as any to post it so hear it is.

[quote:b8944f72fc]DVDs are taking over from television because networks don't have a clue. TV viewers aren't stuck in the dark ages without computers and the internet any longer. We can track our favourite shows, read up the latest episodes and now in the last year episode downloads are skyrocketing as the technology becomes less daunting to negotiate.

Networks fail to realize this and treat us like we are ignorant. They are surprised shows don't get the ratings they do; it's because they plague us with repeats, late night timeslots and alternating timeslots that make trying to follow a series almost impossible. On top of that, we are forced to wait years before new episodes of shows like Smallville and Gilmore Girls are screened, and when they are butcher them to bits. They also have the nerve to screen episodes out of order, thinking we won't realise. Don't even mention the debacle of The West Wing.

Oddly, axed and cancelled shows from the US get a higher priority. Channel 7 aired all the episodes of the awful Threat Matrix last year, and are currently airing the recently axed Heather Locklear series LAX. Nine still haven't aired Frasier after promising for the last year they would. Also, after three seasons have aired in the US, Nine premieres the heavily delayed drama Everwood into a 4pm timeslot with no advertising. Ten promised Ed over summer, but delivered two weeks in a lunchtime timeslot in February.

The most annoying thing is when networks show different episodes in different states. Melbourne, because it's an AFL state, suffers more than anyone else, especially when it comes to late night television. In the last year, Tru Calling, Stargate SG-1, Arrested Development and Scrubs, apart from being given awful timeslots, have seen episodes after other states because they were behind with other series and decided to catch up.

Other than this, the problem of shows running overtime and starting late, the increase in the number of ads and decrease in the length of the shows themselves, pop-up advertisements during shows and cramming more commercials into the credits as well. It's easy to see networks certainly don't care about the viewers themselves. People have been complaining about these things for ages, yet nothing gets done and things only get worse.

DVD allows you to actually support the show you watch. Buying the box sets is a better demonstration of how popular shows are as the fans themselves actually get heard rather than the OzTam rating system that delivers averages based on only a few thousand meters in homes that clearly reflect the demographics that watch only crime and news. DVDs have no ads, fantastic picture quality, 5.1 surround sound in some cases and extra features that you don't find on FTA.

Years ago we were at the whim of the networks and watched what we were shown. Times have changed and networks have to change as well. The internet is a powerful medium, and just trying to ban everything won't work. They need to use it to their advantage, something which they still haven't learned.

As for best features on DVD, Arrested Development has some hilariously funny features that were definitely worthy supplements of an already fabulous series. The commentaries are fantastic, deleted scenes just as funny as the episodes, interviews and behind the scenes features were great as well. All TV shows should have a set as good as this. An outstanding package all around."[/quote:b8944f72fc]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/The-Tribal-Mind/The-DVD-doctors/2005/03/29/1111862384019.html
Cash on hand: 8,336.60
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:41 pm
On top of Stargate SG-1's first four seasons and Family Guy's first two being reduced at the moment; Alias, Farscape, Without A Trace, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and something else I can't remember now, have all been reduced for a limited time.

Also, the collectors editions of Friends seasons 8 and 9 will be available in June! :dance:
Semper Fidelis
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:45 pm
Gawd. Saw Fresh Prince on DVD. That's all well and good for the three fans... but WHERE'S MY SMALLVILLE?!???!
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:21 pm
[quote:5b379bf096="bane"]On top of Stargate SG-1's first four seasons and Family Guy's first two being reduced at the moment; Alias, Farscape, Without A Trace, Six Feet Under, Curb Your Enthusiasm and something else I can't remember now, have all been reduced for a limited time.[/quote:5b379bf096]

I'll be hanging out for Carnivale to be released at a similar low price.
Cash on hand: 882.50
Bank: 3,905,233.20
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:25 pm
Well the official site for Alias: The complete 4th Season is up and running seems like the US will get the DVD before 7 even air the show here's the link.

http://video.movies.go.com/aliasseason4/flash.html

hmmm...very tempting to buy it over the net...i'll probably end up waiting for it.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:37 pm
I doubt that - my guess is september/october, but I assume it all depends on when they decide to air Season 5 (Midseason or in the Fall).
Season 4 would have started on Seven well before then (I hope).
PreviousNext

Return to Drama and Comedies