Game Of Thrones (SPOILERS)

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory

Logie Nominee
Cash on hand: 37.50
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:20 pm
I'm really enjoying this show. I am not a huge fan of fantasy, but in this series the fantasy elements seem very incidental and in the background. This is more like some court intrigue drama, it's just set in a fantasy world where winters vary in length up to several years (rather like Sydney then?). It is set in a very, very rich background and it can be a bit hard to keep track of who the various personalities are and how they are related, but I think I'm getting on top of it now and I am starting to really get into it!
Here's a helpful wiki, made especially for the tv show (because the books are yet another, even richer world, apparently - I'm not familiar with them, the series is quite enough for me)
Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 102.50
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:52 pm
I've heard great things about this show but havent got around to watching it yet. Soon though, very soon.

Do you think it's worthwhile reading the books first?
Watching: X-Files | Castle | Big Bang Theory | Fringe | Buffy | Torchwood

Logie Nominee
Cash on hand: 37.50
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:21 pm
narf wrote:Do you think it's worthwhile reading the books first?

You know, I think it's actually better not to. This way you are only concerned with what you see on the show. All those guys who were fans of the books are now coming to the TV series and it seems to me they spend most of their time and effort constantly comparing and complaining because this isn't 'like it was in the book' and that isn't shown at all, and some detail or some character isn't how they imagined it and blah blah blah... Me - I don't know the books so I'm taking what I see at face value and I think I'm happier than they are. I also get the element of surprise, which they don't.
Home and Away Star
Cash on hand: 102.50
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:13 pm
Thanks ferrix. I want to read the books but I think I'll hold off until after I see the series.
When it comes to movies, I always recommend reading the book first, since there is so much of the written page that simply cannot be condensed into a 2 hour film. But I've noticed with TV series it seems to be the opposite and its best to watch first. Perhaps its because they have 10 to 20 odd hours to fully flesh out the book and you find there is more on the screen than on the page. At least that it seemed that way with True Blood.
Watching: X-Files | Castle | Big Bang Theory | Fringe | Buffy | Torchwood
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:28 am
This show has made me realise my sister is an attractive woman...
Modest to the top.
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:11 pm
I'm a huge fan of the books (and thrilled to discover that George R R Martin has finally finished the next book) and I would say that after watching only two episodes, so far the TV series holds very true to the books.

Tyrion Lannister is brilliant.

narf - don't read the books, there's no need to. If you get lost, check out some of those wiki links that are going around. But I would hold off reading the books until perhaps either the show is cancelled (hopefully not) or it goes on hiatus between seasons. While I did have trouble sorting out which Stark is which (mostly just Rob and Jon Snow), I don't think that's a lack of plot, just that by necessity the actors look very similar to start with.

I'm rationing the episodes out because everything else I was downloading has now gone on hiatus and I need something new to watch every week. But I might have to catch up at least to where it's up to currently just to avoid being spoiled. It's been a few years since I read the books so there are still a few plot twists that may surprise me.

As for the viewers that aren't fans of fantasy and are still enjoying this: I think that you may get sucked in even when the more fantastical elements start appearing. Although there aren't a lot of BIG fantasy elements in this and some have already appeared in the form of the White Walkers in the first scene. This story really is more about the intrigues and plottings between the families than the magical and/or mystical like Lord of the Rings.
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 pm
I'm a couple of ep's behind. It's engaging, without being particularly amazing, as far as I'm concerned.

The dwarf is very entertaining though; it must be said. (Specific character names are beyond me...I generally know who they're talking about whilst watching the show, but lord knows if I can remember any of the names afterwards...).

Not too many episodes remaining then of either this or the superior The Killing, but luckily Breaking Bad is coming back soon-ish. :)
Oscar Winner
Cash on hand: 247.50
Mood: lost the plot
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:25 pm
Glad I'm not the only one who gets characters of new TV series confused AA.

Just for a quick reference:
Dwarf = Tyrion Lannister
Evil blonde queen = Cersi Lannister
Cute little tom boy daughter = Arya Stark
Red headed daughter to marry psycho prince = Sansa Stark
Bastard son on ice wall = Jon Snow
Crippled boy = Bran Stark
Dragon princess married to the horse lord = Danaerys
Horse lord with the great abs = Khal Drogo

Horse lord, let's face it, it's a wooden part, but his abs are great. Reminds me of 300 and all the promos for Rome.
I may be a geek, but it's one of my endearing qualities.
Cash on hand: 2.50
Bank: 4,298,345.30
Mood: feeling under the weather
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 pm
If I was only watching this show for who I first started watching this show for... I would be calling it a day after 1x09.

But thankfully, I've grown to love a few other characters. ;)
Cash on hand: 1,889.30
Bank: 44,213.00
Mood: doubting
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:03 pm
I did not expect that :o

:(
Modest to the top.
PreviousNext

Return to Drama and Comedies