Curb Your Enthusiasm (SPOILERS)

FlashForward, Grey's Anatomy, NCIS, 24, Bones, The Good Wife, House, Heroes, Lost, The Big Bang Theory
Cecil B DeMille Life Time Achievement
Cash on hand: 1,917.50
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:23 pm
Interview with J.B Smoove (aka Leon)

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/17/j-b-smoove-on-curb-your-enthusiasm-and-michael-richards/

My favourite part:

[quote:5d4857e4be]There was one line, in an alternate take where Larry was like, “I can’t believe you never saw ‘Seinfeld.’” And I said, “Nah, I’m not really into that stuff. I’m more into comedies.” And he was like, “It is a comedy!”[/quote:5d4857e4be]

Even the stuff that doesn't make it's gold! :D
Emmy Nominee
Cash on hand: 520.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 am
Finale wasn't as good as last week's ep, having said that it had its moments. The Seinfeld episode itself didn't seem all that funny. The final scene almost drifted into something very un-Curb like, but alas Larry hasn't learnt anything at all.
Cash on hand: 17,030.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:27 pm
I have to agree Joker, last week was way funnier!

ep 10 as a finale and a Seinfeld reunion wasn't as good as it could have been. last week they had Georges Mum, Newman and Kenny at the table reading and I would have liked to see a brief clip of them on the reunion show Larry was watching at home. what we saw of the reunion episode itself wasn't all that funny, they're a little older and it just seemed strange.

as a season as a whole, it wasn't as good as previous seasons. season 6 was excellent, this season was lacking in the laughter department. it still had some good moments, a few good eps but it was missing something. don't get me wrong, it was still a good season and to see the gang back together again was a real treat. I would however be real disappointed in the finale ending if it was actually the last episode ever (which I hope it isn't), it was a decent one I guess.

I may have to rewatch the whole season again, forgotten most of it.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:54 pm
I loved it. Including the Seinfeld stuff, which made me grin from ear to ear...

Was the Seinfeld stuff laugh-out-loud hysterical? No, but then, neither was a lot of the stuff in the show. Did it [i:8a9b3f59cb]feel[/i:8a9b3f59cb] like Seinfeld? Abso-bloody-lutely. The performances weren't "off" at all for me, I thought they all clicked perfectly well, and it was just a joy to behold.

Jerry's "icon" rant was an absoluter pearler. "NO-CON!" :lol:

Definately not as funny as last weeks, but this season has been an utter success in my book. Nary a dull episode, all funny, and all consistantly funny.

I think some people on here prefer the broader, more outrageous plot-point humour in the show, whereas I just adore the petty bickering that goes on, and Jerry/Larry ripping on George about his book title; and pretty much all the Jerry stuff was just wonderful to watch for me.

I won't be at all disappointed if that's the last we see of them.

Frankly, I can't see how a season 8 could top that. I think I preferred this to season 6, which I thought was close to my favourite season. I dunno...I think I have to rewatch the early seasons (1-3) to make an accurate assessment...

In any case...yay for the Seinfeld reunion not sucking!
Cash on hand: 17,030.80
Bank: 0.00
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:34 am
[quote:2e2037af6a="A.A"]I think some people on here prefer the broader, more outrageous plot-point humour in the show, whereas I just adore the petty bickering that goes on, and Jerry/Larry ripping on George about his book title; and pretty much all the Jerry stuff was just wonderful to watch for me.[/quote:2e2037af6a]
I think thats why I didn't think much of the season and last episode, not crazy enough I guess.
but, your always easy to please A.A. you seem to love everything, wish I was like that!
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 am
[quote:819bc2f342="A.A"]
I think some people on here prefer the broader, more outrageous plot-point humour in the show, whereas I just adore the petty bickering that goes on, and Jerry/Larry ripping on George about his book title; and pretty much all the Jerry stuff was just wonderful to watch for me.
[/quote:819bc2f342]
Some of the best episodes of Seinfeld had the most petty bickering, but in Curb it's mostly over something so ridiculous it's difficult to see the humour in it. Considering the entire purpose of the reunion for Larry was to get Cheryl back, I find it hard to believe that he'd care more about the coffee stain.

So I suppose when it comes to Curb, yes, I prefer the plot-point humour that has some ounce of credibility to it.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:57 pm
Too ridiculous to be funny? What?
:?
That's exactly why it IS funny!

Honestly, I'm surprised anyone could make it this far through the show if they didn't find the ridiculousness of Larry's antics funny.

And if you think Larry David wouldn't get more concerned over something like a coffee stain than reviving a relationship, , then you my friend, do not know, Larry David.

The show would have LOST credibility had Larry NOT said anything in that final scene.

Each their own.

I think this show's heaps better than Seinfeld. Yes. Heaps.
Emmy Nominee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:02 pm
It's very hit and miss with me. His antics always border on OTT, but sometimes I can see the hilarity in the point he's trying to make. Other times, it starts to grate on me how trivial his endeavours can be.

I never really had this love/hate duality with Seinfeld. Always made me laugh. But, as you said, to each their own.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 pm
Only in the tiresome (but not entirely worthless) fifth season would I agree with that.

Hit-and-miss is such an unfair assessment of this show, in my opinion.

One of the best comedies ever forged seems far more accurate.

No accounting for taste, though, I guess. :shrug:
Emmy Winner
Cash on hand: 7,600.30
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 am
I loved Larry getting to play George. Lovely meta moment. Jerry was great too.
PreviousNext

Return to Drama and Comedies